Discuss How can they justify the increase in your electricity bill !? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

It was conceived as a way to keep a lid on the profits of the 'legacy' suppliers, who relied on the loyalty and ignorance of existing customers to be able to rip them off.

With the unintended consequence of reducing choice for consumers and leaving many in the position of being unable to move to better tariffs.

I have never been able to fathom how its a good idea for us to sell off our utility companies to foreign countries, it just seems to be accountancy gone mad, Cable and Wireless sold off their UK corporate HQ in the UK in the City and then leased it back, that just has to be an accountancy work around budgets.

With the unintended consequence of reducing choice for consumers and leaving many in the position of being unable to move to better tariffs.
But with state controlled tariffs the consumer would not have too move to get a better deal, the Electricity supplier being a non profit making organisation not having to satisfy its share holders the cost would be held down.

But with state controlled tariffs the consumer would not have too move to get a better deal, with the Electricity supplier being a non profit making business having to satisfy its share holders the cost would be held down.

Weren't price caps a form of state controlled tariffs?

The issue with non-profit making businesses/organisations is that they can still hoover up vast amounts of money in the process of not making any profit. It's a model which many social media grifters have latched onto, so they can sell overpriced tat while paying themselves significant sums and pressing particular agendas, while doing so on a 'not for profit' basis.

It's easy for us all to provide answers to life's many challenges, but not so easy to predict loopholes that'll be exploited by those inclined to do so.

It's a model which many social media grifters have latched onto
And most other countries on the planet. IF someone is going to try and rip off the consumer then imho it is usually the for profit mob.
Apart from that the other thing is simply national security. We should never let foreign owned companies Especially ones who are state controlled anywhere near our critical infrastructure. Energy/Communications and water should be totally off limits. In my opinion those are the main 3 sectors that are of national security levels of importance. You can then make a case for rail...I mean we subsidise the private operators on the lines far more than we ever did as a percentage of gdp when it was state run.
But like I said these issues are the short sightedness of governments from about the 70's onwards. Also swampy didn't help much.

And most other countries on the planet. IF someone is going to try and rip off the consumer then imho it is usually the for profit mob.
Apart from that the other thing is simply national security. We should never let foreign owned companies Especially ones who are state controlled anywhere near our critical infrastructure. Energy/Communications and water should be totally off limits. In my opinion those are the main 3 sectors that are of national security levels of importance. You can then make a case for rail...I mean we subsidise the private operators on the lines far more than we ever did as a percentage of gdp when it was state run.
But like I said these issues are the short sightedness of governments from about the 70's onwards. Also swampy didn't help much.

I'd expect a significant majority of people to agree on that point.

The point about the utility companies sell off was made back on post 44.

And our Gold reserves!!!!!!! an idiot in parliament thought it was a good idea to sell them off, smacked of a private deal being made behind our backs then and still does now.

Any of these utilities sell off's in France would be met by blockading of the Paris Paeriferic, burning of tyres at roundabouts, people in yellow gilets patrolling the streets, hang on this all sounds a bit familiar.

I have about 6000 litres of oil storage capacity and about 1000 litres left in them. Two are down to about 100 litres each, so I'm going to have to move some around before long, and try to hold out from buying any until the price comes down again.

I have about 6000 litres of oil storage capacity and about 1000 litres left in them. Two are down to about 100 litres each, so I'm going to have to move some around before long, and try to hold out from buying any until the price comes down again.
Eek! I'm thinking that I may just have to bite the bullet and get in 500, I'm off in a few days on tour for 4-5 weeks and the risk of the domestic fall-out if it did actually go dry just isn't worth it!!

I have about a 1000lts in my tank and use about 100lts/week so working on that scenario I have approximately enough fuel for nine weeks will Putin have been assassinated by then and the price come down, doubt it, so ordered 500lts at a cost of £503.74, no idea when it will be delivered.

The problem with the two that are down to 100l each is that the holiday cottage business has gone mad!
Normally, I'd expect to let around three weeks for the whole of January, February and March, but this year we have been virtually solid for all three months, and it continues all the way to the end of November.
We did have a run of five empty days for one of them, so started to do an 'enhanced' clean. Then the 'phone rang, and a couple wanted to book two nights this weekend. All this means that the heating is on continuously at a time when it's normally switched off.

I don't think you are going to get much sympathy by earning more than normal 🤔 at least you will have enough to pay for the oil and can justifiably put up your price's to compensate. 😂

Last edited:
Eek! I'm thinking that I may just have to bite the bullet and get in 500, I'm off in a few days on tour for 4-5 weeks and the risk of the domestic fall-out if it did actually go dry just isn't worth it!!

Some local suppliers are limiting deliveries to 300l. I don't think there's a shortage of oil on the global market, but not enough where it needs to be - most likely due to speculation on the part of those selling supplies to the UK.

It's making up for what we didn't earn over the last two years (plus a bit more to be honest), Yes, I can pay for the oil, but I'm still not enthused about paying £5000 for something that would have cost £2500 a short while ago, and £2500 is several weeks of bookings at this time of year.
Prices I can charge are already published and fixed right up the beginning of March 2024.

Last edited:

Reply to How can they justify the increase in your electricity bill !? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net