Discuss How do I limit or feed inrush current for higher constant current use? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
How do I limit or feed inrush current for higher constant current use?

If I could find solution, then the chosen battery cell type can have much lower Discharge/Charge rate.
My product research found that lower Discharge/Charge rate cells are much lower price.
So you can purchase more storage capacity with the same or less money.

Are there options to solve problem?
Example: EBM-Lighting Company - Ceramic Metal Halide Ballast.

Ceramic Metal Halide Ballast.

Product Type EB-GCMH-315D/E
Power 315W
Input voltage(AC) 240V 50Hz
Line Current 1.42A@240V
AC inrush current(Max) Cold start,50A/230V
Rated Power 340W
Output voltage(AC) 100V

Light Decay Control
attenuation <5%/20000h
Power factor(PF) >0.99
THD(input) <6%
Efficiency >91%@240V
Operating Frequency 140~160Hz
Trigger voltage 6KV (MAX)
Ballast power dissipation 25W
Out power/Light output 0W(Off),145W,215W,315W,355W
Lamp wire length(Max) >66 feet/20 meters(16 gauge lamp wire)
Protection function Protection of short-circuit, open-circuit, over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, hot lamp startup, lightning, over heat, and lamp failure with lamp life warning

Last edited:
Is there a product to stop inrush current between Ballast and inverter?

Very expensive to design battery and inverter around very short inrush current!
Thought there might be a commercial add on solution?

Im fairly sure a metal halide ballast only works on AC , what type of batteries are you trying to charge? You would usually use a form of charge controller /BMS for Li ION , you can make soft start circuits for DC ,even a coil/inductor may limit inrush current.

Yes, the larger Ballast from suppliers is only available in AC ATM.
The cells and inverter will depend on the load.

For the example above:
Input voltage(AC) 240V 50Hz
#Line Current 1.42A@240V
#AC inrush current(Max) Cold start,50A/230V

I am starting with the question:
is there a commercial add on solution?

Waiting for reply, I notice not many replies, and questions getting hit with many needless questions.
Check to see that you understand the situation.
Only if no other option, we upsize inverter.
Thanks for reply

Reply to How do I limit or feed inrush current for higher constant current use? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net