Discuss How do we solve the long meter tail problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorry I'm asking 1.5 2.5 etc
With Sheath
Without CPC

obviously it common without sheath and fairly common with sheath and CPC 6241Y

trying to prove singles with sheath don't need a CPC on standard circuits not talking about 16mm+ tails etc.

With Sheath
Without CPC

trying to prove singles with sheath don't need a CPC on standard circuits not talking about 16mm+ tails etc.
A sheath has no bearing on any requirement for a cpc. The sheath is there solely to provide mechanical protection to the insulated core of the cable and nothing else.

can you link please
[automerge]1593368987[/automerge]
You get a gold star

Why would it be more common in N.I than rest of UK and what do you use it for?

Still a bit confusing as 6181Y is often named meter tails and thats not what I want but wont push it.
[automerge]1593370110[/automerge]
this table suggests it's not just meter tales
How do we solve the long meter tail problem? TABLE - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Still a bit confusing as 6181Y is often named meter tails and thats not what I want
To be fair it's only described as meter tails in the sizes normally associated with that use. In the south of Ireland 16mm^2 T&E is described as meter tails because it's often used for that purpose. (Although I use PVC/PVC singles for it.)

got me thinking so I just did a search I actually can't see any single-core cable for standard circuits i.e 1.5mm or 2.5mm/lighting sockets etc with a sheath and without a CPC ? am I missing something?

You aren't missing anything, there isn't a demand for that type of cable so it's not commonly available.
The lack of availability doesn't mean it isn't permitted by the regulations.
[automerge]1593382099[/automerge]
With Sheath
Without CPC

Whether it is available to buy or not doesn't make any difference to the regulations.
It is permitted by the regulations, but such a cable is not in high demand so is not commonly available.
[automerge]1593382316[/automerge]
Thanks I'm asking for link to single core
With Sheath
Without CPC

Look up H07-RNF flexiblr cable, it is available in single core from 1.5mm up to 630mm

Last edited:
While your both here, have either of you worked over the border and noticed and differences?
Yes I do lots of work across the border. At one time it was about 75% of my work. But to be fair I'm only a mile from the border.

Yes there are certainly differences (and of course similarities). And different regulatory regimes. And currencies and tax regimes.

Yes I do lots of work across the border. At one time it was about 75% of my work. But to be fair I'm only a mile from the border.

Yes there are certainly differences (and of course similarities). And different regulatory regimes. And currencies and tax regimes.
What are some of the more interesting differences?

What T&E do you prefer?

I see no reason for Irish T&E not to be compliment with BS7671 but not the other way round so do you use the Irish T&E for jobs in the North?

What are some of the more interesting differences?

What T&E do you prefer?

I see no reason for Irish T&E not to be compliment with BS7671 but not the other way round so do you use the Irish T&E for jobs in the North?
I don't use I.S. 201-4 T&E in the north for a number of reasons. One being that it's not made to any British Standard (it is Irish Standard cable). The more important reason being that it is 30% dearer and would make me uncompetitive.

That said I do like the I.S. 201-4 cable, but given that most electrical accessories would be manufactured in the UK or for the UK market there can be an issue with larger protective conductors in terms of connecting them. Especially if you consider the likes of a shower switch (or perhaps cooker switch). You also have to upsize all the clips as there aren't clips made specifically for this cable.

There is a lot more supplementary bonding in the south. Also an electrode is required on all installations (with 99%+ being TN-C-S (Neutralised)). Accessory heights are part of the Wiring Rules and therefore must be compliant even where existing heights do not comply. All bathroom circuits require their own dedicated RCD. Quite a number of other differences. Building Regulations require smoke detectors in every bedroom along with a myriad of other rooms.

cool - let me know if you think of any more

I've also heard of twin brown and earth? what this used for?

and is the north mainly TNS?
Twin brown is used throughout Ireland, north and south. It's typically for switch drops or strappers.

The north would be mainly TN-C-S, although there are some TN-S installations still around, and in rural areas (and even on the outskirts of cities in places) TT systems.

Sorry stupid question why does the South Require an electrode with TNCS?

ill let you get some Zzzz ;)
To help to maintain the DSO's PEN conductor at Earth potential. Obviously the Neutral is connected to Earth at source (which is what makes it Neutral). Earthing the PEN at every installation helps to keep this at Earth potential, plus also the comments on another thread about the dangerous voltages which can present themselves where there is a broken PEN.

Twin brown is used throughout Ireland, north and south. It's typically for switch drops or strappers.

This is something I've long been curious about. Given that twin brown is not as widely available as blue/brown T&E, and therefore likely to be more expensive, why do so many NI electricians use it rather than sleeve regular T&E?

To help to maintain the DSO's PEN conductor at Earth potential. Obviously the Neutral is connected to Earth at source (which is what makes it Neutral). Earthing the PEN at every installation helps to keep this at Earth potential, plus also the comments on another thread about the dangerous voltages which can present themselves where there is a broken PEN.

Similar to Australia... Here it’s called the MEN multiple earthed Neutral. IEC 60364 describes the MEN as a TNC-S system but each property has an earth stake. TPS cable also has a sheathed earth and the cores are stranded. There is also a cable called a Twin Active which is red and White. Essentially for strappers.

Reply to How do we solve the long meter tail problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock