Discuss How do you wire double bakelite switches with three wire connector screws in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Big Clove

DIY
Reaction score
So yes I have three bakelite double switches 1 of a different brand but both types have only three connectors for wires. Is it simply one main live in (and which would that be?) and two live outs for each of the switches. And I guess the neutrals come off the lights and can be joined together before returning to the mains box.

Attachments

• How do you wire double bakelite switches with three wire connector screws IMG_20200717_203529 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200717_203529.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 65
  • How do you wire double bakelite switches with three wire connector screws IMG_20200717_203512 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200717_203512.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 63
At a guess, live in is probably the center
Live out from each sw is probably the outside ones, one for each switch.

You will need a continuity meter to check this out.
Some old switches had mechanical parts inside that you could move or change to change the function from normally open to normally closed. Not sure if this habit, crossed over to domestic type switches but certainly some industrial switches of that age could be changed in that manner.

Hi - please make sure the power is off before you start on changing a switch. The permanent L goes to the centre terminal and the outside switched L return to their lights, if I’ve understood correctly.

Hi,it might be handy to describe the function you require,from these switches,and what they are replacing.

I just want two separate bulbs to go on and off
[automerge]1595080008[/automerge]
At a guess, live in is probably the center
Live out from each sw is probably the outside ones, one for each switch.

You will need a continuity meter to check this out.
Some old switches had mechanical parts inside that you could move or change to change the function from normally open to normally closed. Not sure if this habit, crossed over to domestic type switches but certainly some industrial switches of that age could be changed in that manner.
They are certainly mechanical switches, I have a cheap multimeter. The only thought I had was to find a decent battery and motorbike bulbs to test them safely. You could be right about being in the middle but looking at the mechanics I thought it could be on the left the live in. It's crazy they never labeled the connectors ?

Last edited:
use multimeter on ohms (power of). 1 lead on centre terminal.each switch should then respectively, give continuity centre to left oand bentre to right depending on which switch is operated. then it's Lin centre, with each L and R termials 1 for each light. any neutrals at the switch need to be connected together but not to the switch itself.

a photo of the wires coming out of the wall would help.

use multimeter on ohms (power of). 1 lead on centre terminal.each switch should then respectively, give continuity centre to left oand bentre to right depending on which switch is operated. then it's Lin centre, with each L and R termials 1 for each light. any neutrals at the switch need to be connected together but not to the switch itself.

a photo of the wires coming out of the wall would help.
Thanks for the information ?
[automerge]1595336679[/automerge]
Hi - please make sure the power is off before you start on changing a switch. The permanent L goes to the centre terminal and the outside switched L return to their lights, if I’ve understood correctly.
Yeah I don't like electric shocks much, 240V here the same as the UK so I'm not keen on that.

So yes I have three bakelite double switches 1 of a different brand but both types have only three connectors for wires. Is it simply one main live in (and which would that be?) and two live outs for each of the switches. And I guess the neutrals come off the lights and can be joined together before returning to the mains box.
My guess center 1 live outer 2switches

Reply to How do you wire double bakelite switches with three wire connector screws in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock