Discuss How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are having an EICR then they get one every year for the part of the installation which has been tested.

Don't forget that a properly recorded system of regular inspection, testing and maintainence is a valid alternative to an EICR.
That makes sense ,thanks.

Reactions: DPG
@Brian Taylor ignorance of the law is no excuse. You must work and act within the Law. Knowing that BC must be informed prior to notifiable work does not make you a lawyer! Most people know this anyway. If you cannot understand the law then you cannot understand the regs. In which case you should not be in the field of work one should be filling shelves and keep it simple. I or we are not "simple sparkles" (read electricians) as you put it. I have had to sit maybe 20 different exams over time, practical and written. Although it is basic science and we are not rocket scientists it does require some application to master the basic science along with intelligence. Now you can self talk yourself down and no doubt others here will help you but it ends at including me and others in your endlessly shrinking view of yourself. I am not knackered as you put it. I am full of energy and love of life. As it happens I did do a law degree some 30 years ago now. I have been a chair of a charitable trust. So I have dealt with some quite technical stuff. Me? I am built for it. I have never seen my self as simple, like Dorian Gray in the league of Gentlemen, I see myself as complicated. Mediocrity and self flagellation is a hateful thing to me. As you say this forum is for the exchange of ideas. What are you doing here then? Ideas are complex stick to your screwdrivers oh humble sparkles leave this to the big boys. Or...take on board some of the ideas here and humble yourself in a real way and accept that this is a two way street and open up to some of the ideas here. Like; there is a bit more to being a sparky than smacking something with a hammer.
Ah so I begin to get an insight into your approach to this exchange and your concentration on the legal aspect of things. I'm guessing that your legal training gives you an insight into that aspect of things and as such I would expect to be interested in that topic. Given your level of academic achievements i get the impression that you are far more than a sparkie..more an engineer. As such I feel that I have misjudged you and that the higher rate of remuneration is probably justified .once again i apologise and wish you every success.

I am not an engineer (I wish!) and I know there are far better sparks than me on here, just for the record @Brian Taylor. Apologies are not necessary as you have done nothing to offend. All I am really saying is the point about BC notification. I can't put it any more simpler than that please don't over read this. You cannot do work in domestic without notification. If you do you will be breaking the law unless it is always non notifiable work. I think most sparks on here know this. Just a word to the (hopefully!) wise really. You did ask!

I am not an engineer (I wish!) and I know there are far better sparks than me on here, just for the record @Brian Taylor. Apologies are not necessary as you have done nothing to offend. All I am really saying is the point about BC notification. I can't put it any more simpler than that please don't over read this. You cannot do work in domestic without notification. If you do you will be breaking the law unless it is always non notifiable work. I think most sparks on here know this. Just a word to the (hopefully!) wise really. You did ask!
Thank you for your advice sir.

as a matter of interest what is the difference between noticeable and non noticeable work.....what constitutes a noticeable job?

A new circuit, a consumer unit change or work in a special location.

If you don't know what needs notifying, how can you tell the appropriate customers to notify building control?

A new circuit, a consumer unit change or work in a special location.

If you don't know what needs notifying, how can you tell the appropriate customers to notify building control?
Also brian if you need further clarification a special location in domestic includes
Outside electrics
A room containing bath or shower

But for more info regarding it refer to your regs book part 7

Attachments

• 20200728_101415.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 6
When I was on my level 2 hunting for a placement I came across someone advertising himself as an electrician. Turns out he was a jack of all and had only done a level 2 himself.
He was mostly a tiler but did anything a client asked and when doing bathrooms would redo the electrics and even said "once or twice a year I'll rewire a house".
I'd love to see the quality of this work......
[automerge]1595927974[/automerge]
As most of my work is replacing damaged sockets and switches etc..some of which will be outside is this noticeable?
No

As most of my work is replacing damaged sockets and switches etc..some of which will be outside is this noticeable?

It sounds like most of your work is not notifiable. But you say 'most', so I'm assuming some of the work you do involves notifiable jobs.

So as my work is non noticeable does this mean that I do not have to belong to a scheme?

You said 'most' of your work. You have obviously done notifiable work because of your earlier comments about the customer dealing with it.

You said 'most' of your work. You have obviously done notifiable work because of your earlier comments about the customer dealing with it.
So why say your work has been non notifiable then? It's hard work this.
I'm not sure what's notification and what's not ...I must admit I don't fully understand the rules
[automerge]1595969483[/automerge]
I'm not sure what's notification and what's not ...I must admit I don't fully understand the rules
it seems strange that I can change a socket in a lounge with no problem but can't change a socket in a kitchen without some odious requirement for firms

Last edited:
Replacing something i
[automerge]1595969483[/automerge]

it seems strange that I can change a socket in a lounge with no problem but can't change a socket in a kitchen without some odious requirement for firms
Brian if you came across a cracked socket in a kifchen and swapped it thats fine. If you then went and pulled in a 6mm cable from the DB to supply a cooker THAT is notifiable, if you were to swap a pendant that is fine if though whilst doing that you added in an extra light on a circuit that is non rcd protected not only is that now against regs but to then start altering the supply of said circuit by adding an rcd is notifiable.
Changing consumer units is also notifiable. So yes you have done notifiable work when you havent actually notified the relevant people

Reactions: DPG
Notifiable works

• The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit
  • Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location
Non- notifiable works

• All other work is considered non-notifiable, namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, maintenance, replacement and repair work.
Special locations and installations

• A room containing a bathtub or shower
  • A room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.
How will compliance with Part P be enforced?

Failure to comply with the Building Regulations is a criminal offence and local authorities have the power to require the removal or alteration of work that does not comply with the requirements.
[automerge]1595972129[/automerge]
I would just like to acknowledge you @Brian Taylor for at least asking the right questions and trying to get abreast of what I and others are banging on about. Kudos to you! I would also add that I started training when I was 17 in London around the east end. The working practices and installation equipment has no semblance of familiarity compared to now. The rules and regulations and enforcement have gradually become more and more complex. Because it has been an incremental and gradual change and increase over the years I have managed to keep abreast by continuing professional development (CPD) and so it is not so hard for me. I did it bite by bite so to speak. From where you appear to be it probably may seem a daunting task to get your head around modern requirements. However if you at least take on board the most basic of requirements, notification, you will be batting from a much more secure wicket so to speak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net