Discuss How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they will have to pay the fee to Building control which is about £250-350 depends on where you are. The job has to be notified at least 48 hours prior to commencement by law. Failure to do so is a criminal offence. However I have no problems at your rate personally. So say put in a ring circuit 10 sockets would cost about £500 you would charge £130 for mats and labour and they would pay 350 for bc, not much difference really except I can afford the scheme costs. So I dont think it is entirely valid to say we MUST take what we can get. I would say on notifiable work it may work out about the same. I can see your viewpoint and don't entirely agree with the vitriol that has been expressed on the subject but I don't think it is as cut and dried as you suggest. I think it is very much more to do with perception and expectations of life etc. i.e. just a mindset, you create what you believe is so.

A troll is a person who posts on forums like this one with comments that are intended to wind people up, or get them to bite.
Well let me out your mind at rest i have no intention of winding anybody up ..what purpose would that serve?..surely this forum is for an exchange of ideas and information

Well they will have to pay the fee to Building control which is about £250-350 depends on where you are. The job has to be notified at least 48 hours prior to commencement by law. Failure to do so is a criminal offence. However I have no problems at your rate personally. So say put in a ring circuit 10 sockets would cost about £500 you would charge £130 for mats and labour and they would pay 350 for bc, not much difference really except I can afford the scheme costs. So I dont think it is entirely valid to say we MUST take what we can get. I would say on notifiable work it may work out about the same. I can see your viewpoint and don't entirely agree with the vitriol that has been expressed on the subject but I don't think it is as cut and dried as you suggest. I think it is very much more to do with perception and expectations of life etc. i.e. just a mindset, you create what you believe is so.

I think we all know that most customers are probably not going to phone building control up and pay them £300.

thank you sir at last someone who can see the alternative way of thinking...a welcome breath of fresh air on this forum.

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
It's all very well to give out platitudes as to customer service but if they are home owners the implications of such work is that they may compromise their insurance and have difficulty selling their homes which will cost them more in the long run. That is why sensible people do the right thing and get in a kosher operation. I am not trying to heap further indignity on you just stating the regs and statutes that govern our work which we must comply with to be fair and honest with the customer.

You know a lot of customers reject my quotes which is fair enough I really do not mind. But I know what I am worth and what it costs to know what I know and stay abreast with the proper equipment fully calibrated and up to date with regs etc. A cost analysis inevitably means I have to charge the rates I do or I will be losing money. The good news is most customers prefer me to be reassuringly expensive.
[automerge]1595797347[/automerge]
Look above Brian, the law requires notification to building control at least 48 hours prior to commencement of notifiable work, this is statute not regs. Failure to do so can be very costly as well as illegal.

It's all very well to give out platitudes as to customer service but if they are home owners the implications of such work is that they may compromise their insurance and have difficulty selling their homes which will cost them more in the long run. That is why sensible people do the right thing and get in a kosher operation.
Well in the 30 years that I've been in the sparky business insurance considerations have never been a problem..I think this is like saying that you will be sued if you cause a person to fall and break a leg due to inefficient snow clearance....it's never happen and it probably never will.
[automerge]1595797781[/automerge]
You know a lot of customers reject my quotes which is fair enough I really do not mind. But I know what I am worth and what it costs to know what I know and stay abreast with the proper equipment fully calibrated and up to date with regs etc. A cost analysis inevitably means I have to charge the rates I do or I will be losing money. The good news is most customers prefer me to be reassuringly expensive.
[automerge]1595797347[/automerge]
Look above Brian, the law requires notification to building control at least 48 hours prior to commencement of notifiable work, this is statute not regs. Failure to do so can be very costly as well as illegal.
How can you notify 48 hours prior to commencement? You may not know your doing the work until a few short hours prior to start...again I'm not saying that notification should not be given just that I'm not the one who's going to do it, if you like I sub that responsibility to the customer....where is the problem in that ?

Last edited:
Well integrity means steering the customer through the maze of legal requirements to ensure that your work does not compromise their legal position. The onus on us is to ensure the customer is fully informed as to the legalities of working on electrical installations in domestic premises. As to the idea of people being prosecuted for not notifying building control of notifiable works, I would say it is disingenuous to suggest like a slip on an uncleared path is comparable to the likelihood of the above situation. Either that or it is being wilfully blind to the legal requirements stated. In any event I would suggest it is highly unprofessional to collude with a client to avoid or obfuscate what is a clear legal requirement. I am not trying to denigrate you here just keeping you held to the fire, as I could not in all conscience operate outside of the requirements. You could likewise say that an IR reading of <1Mohm, as it has not caused a problem so far would be as likely to cause a problem as in your snow scenario, so no need to take action, would you? Oh by the way I have been doing all this malarkey for 45 years.

Well integrity means steering the customer through the maze of legal requirements to ensure that your work does not compromise their legal position. The onus on us is to ensure the customer is fully informed as to the legalities of working on electrical installations in domestic premises. As to the idea of people being prosecuted for not notifying building control of notifiable works, I would say it is disingenuous to suggest like a slip on an uncleared path is comparable to the likelihood of the above situation. Either that or it is being wilfully blind to the legal requirements stated. In any event I would suggest it is highly unprofessional to collude with a client to avoid or obfuscate what is a clear legal requirement. I am not trying to denigrate you here just keeping you held to the fire, as I could not in all conscience operate outside of the requirements. You could likewise say that an IR reading of <1Mohm, as it has not caused a problem so far would be as likely to cause a problem as in your snow scenario, so no need to take action, would you? Oh by the way I have been doing all this malarkey for 45 years.
No I can't disagree more we are simple sparkles not lawyers we deal with screwdrivers, cutters and hammers not the intricacies of obscure law and I don't think it's very satisfactory that we are obliged to engage in this contrived paperwork exercise...Well done after 45years you must be utterly cream crackered.

• Dislike
Gutted, I had my CV ready and everything :mad:
[automerge]1595794473[/automerge]

This limited percentage approache is done annually.

I have seen many doing 20% EICRs every year so that 100% is covered in the five year recommended retest period.

Firstly why it's done? God knows, is probably a bean counter thing or business interruption?

Secondly, how they manage it to ensure all circuits are covered and not just the easiest 20% every time is beyond me.

There are some very big FM companies doing this, very badly.

Bad luck with the CV but last time I was over Hereford the had only just got electricity so now the novelty has worn off I guess the money is just not there.

FM companies will have a contract to test the whole site over the five year period and should not be issuing EICR for the whole installation each year (which is what the 1 in 10 person is reporting as satisfactory).

Ours are split over a three year period not five, based on either an initial EIC or if these not available or there are far to many "alterations/additions" then it will start with an EICR. It then becomes a recorded maintenance program so no need for constant certification and removes ability for the testing of only the easiest circuit constantly.

@Brian Taylor ignorance of the law is no excuse. You must work and act within the Law. Knowing that BC must be informed prior to notifiable work does not make you a lawyer! Most people know this anyway. If you cannot understand the law then you cannot understand the regs. In which case you should not be in the field of work one should be filling shelves and keep it simple. I or we are not "simple sparkles" (read electricians) as you put it. I have had to sit maybe 20 different exams over time, practical and written. Although it is basic science and we are not rocket scientists it does require some application to master the basic science along with intelligence. Now you can self talk yourself down and no doubt others here will help you but it ends at including me and others in your endlessly shrinking view of yourself. I am not knackered as you put it. I am full of energy and love of life. As it happens I did do a law degree some 30 years ago now. I have been a chair of a charitable trust. So I have dealt with some quite technical stuff. Me? I am built for it. I have never seen my self as simple, like Dorian Gray in the league of Gentlemen, I see myself as complicated. Mediocrity and self flagellation is a hateful thing to me. As you say this forum is for the exchange of ideas. What are you doing here then? Ideas are complex stick to your screwdrivers oh humble sparkles leave this to the big boys. Or...take on board some of the ideas here and humble yourself in a real way and accept that this is a two way street and open up to some of the ideas here. Like; there is a bit more to being a sparky than smacking something with a hammer.

I have seen many doing 20% EICRs every year so that 100% is covered in the five year recommended retest period.

Firstly why it's done? God knows, is probably a bean counter thing or business interruption?

Secondly, how they manage it to ensure all circuits are covered and not just the easiest 20% every time is beyond me.

A lot of companies have or use a rolling PPM system and so have a continuity of work. Documentation normally details what is specifically checked at each annual test so after 5 years the whole installation has been checked

A lot of companies have or use a rolling PPM system and so have a continuity of work. Documentation normally details what is specifically checked at each annual test so after 5 years the whole installation has been checked
So when do they get their EICR year 5? Just a bit confused with this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net