Discuss Avoiding EICR cowboys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just went through this: Guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector and I can't find it either, I am obviously not current, retired ten years ago, sorry for any confusion, mostly mine.🥴

Notwithstanding, IMO it's a good idea to carry out an inspection on the change of tenancy, as I said above who knows what a tenant has done to the installation during their tenancy.

Last edited:
The GN3 I have (17th edition, 2015) in section 3.2 says inspection & testing should be considered in a number of circumstances, including (in sub-section (c)), "on a change of occupancy". This pre-dates the 2020 private rental sector legislation, and I think at the time, few landlords actually did any testing & inspection at all.

Now that it is mandated every 5 years, at least for the 2 letting agents I do work for, the inspection & testing is generally only done every 5 years (2025 is going to be busy, if I'm still working then).

Last edited:
.Now that it is mandated every 5 years, at least for the 2 letting agents I do work for, the inspection & testing is generally only done every 5 years (2025 is going to be busy, if I'm still working then).

Probably going to be expensive in 2025. Smart letting agents might want to get the ball rolling next year.

I always say EICR, or at least a “mini” version between tenants for two reasons.

1. You don’t know what DIY Dave did during the last 6 months.

2. It’s in my best interest as an electrician to find work.

I knew I had read it somewhere, but it is the Housing (Scotland) ACT 2014.

“19ADuty to ensure regular electrical safety inspections​

(1)The landlord must ensure that regular inspections are carried out for the purpose of identifying any work which—

(a)relates to installations for the supply of electricity and electrical fixtures, fittings and appliances, and

(b)is necessary to ensure that the house meets the repairing standard.

(2)The duty in subsection (1) is complied with if—

(a)an inspection has been carried out before the tenancy starts (but not earlier than 5 years before the start of the tenancy), and

(b)inspections are carried out during the tenancy at such intervals to ensure that there is a period of no more than 5 years between each inspection.

Full text here: Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2014/14/section/23

I knew I had read it somewhere, but it is the Housing (Scotland) ACT 2014.

“19ADuty to ensure regular electrical safety inspections​

(1)The landlord must ensure that regular inspections are carried out for the purpose of identifying any work which—

(a)relates to installations for the supply of electricity and electrical fixtures, fittings and appliances, and

(b)is necessary to ensure that the house meets the repairing standard.

(2)The duty in subsection (1) is complied with if—

(a)an inspection has been carried out before the tenancy starts (but not earlier than 5 years before the start of the tenancy), and

(b)inspections are carried out during the tenancy at such intervals to ensure that there is a period of no more than 5 years between each inspection.

Full text here: Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2014/14/section/23
I'm not sure if I'm reading this the same way was you are, but 1- this only applies in Scotland. 2 - the inspection only has to be done before the tenancy starts, which can be up to five years before the tenancy starts. So every five years, regardless of change of tenancy.

As Loz says, the paragraph states that an inspection must have been carried out before the tenancy starts, but no longer than 5 years before. If there is already a current (ie less than 5 year old) cert in place then there is no requirement to do another one.

So every 5 years.

But a new tenancy is the start of a new contract so a new EICR will be required, that's how I read it.

An inspection must have been carried out before the tenancy starts, but not earlier than 5 years before the tenancy starts.

So it's not saying one has to be done at the point of the new tenancy starting, but that one must have been done previously and must still be valid (ie less than 5 years old)

Phew! After all that I need to go back to my original post:

I need an EICR done on a house I rent out in Reading, England - 4-bed detached built in early 1980s. But I'm a bit nervous about how to avoid cowboys...so would ideally like someone from this forum.

Last EICR was in March 2019 following which esteemed forum member Wilko put in a new DB, did various fault finding, earth upgrades and everything else to clear the faults. But 5 years is up and I know he has retired. Also FWIW my tenant wants to leave, so I am likely to have a new tenant soon. But will be easier to get it done while the current tenant is still there.

Anyone up for this job?

Reply to Avoiding EICR cowboys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net