Discuss HELP! EICR advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m not a big criticiser of other people reports, but...
C2 for plastic board -wrong Should be C3 or no code.
C2 For out of date smokes - wrong Should be no code. Smokes are not part of our regs. Only the hard wired connections and electrical safety are what we are establishing. Yes it’s worth a mention but that’s all.
C2 for no RCD for circuit passing through room containing bath or shower. wrong unless there is no supplementary bonding present. This was not mentioned therefore we cannot judge.
C2 for sockets that may be used for outdoor equipment. Correct, but as you said it has RCD protection.

something isn’t right with this one. Get a second opinion.

Bathroom lights might not be IP rated for use in there, so fair enough if true. A plastic CU in good condition is normally C3.
Yet suitable IP rating for location gets a big old tick in the schedule of inspections.

As others have said, a number of irregularities between the inspections and test results. Second opinion required I think, or at least ask for quotes from other electricians and supply them with this report.

I understand the letting agents not wanting to get involved, ultimately they don’t want to take on any more liability in the event of a problem.

I really think there are fully qualified sparks doing EICR’s that don’t know what they are doing. An EICR is totally different to any other certification we are trained to do.
anyone who hasn’t taken the appropriate course should not be doing them and I think they need to be more scrutinised To ensure they are to an appropriate uniformed standard.

We have a problem at the moment in so far as the new laws regarding rental properties and eicrs.
i have to say I absolutely agree with the new laws.

The problem is There are thousands of landlords requiring EICRs now. I have a list of 23 to do before April 1st. I haven’t given any of them a date of completion yet as I am going to do them one at a time and then do there remedial if necessary before going on to the next. This is between all the other jobs I have booked and emergency calls I am getting in.

I am not committing to any more EICRs And have turned down over 5 in last 2 weeks. This means they will use anyone Qualified or not.
In your case a111an I think you have a fully qualified spark, but he hasn’t done an EICR course and there is not requirment to do so.

No sign of the supply characteristics, earthing arrangements or particulars at origin, either....might tell a tale or two.
I think @westward10 removed that page because it had the inspectors name and signature on it still. It was there earlier.

If I remember rightly it was TN-C-S and the earth electrode boxes were N/A’d obviously, but I’ve just noticed the schedule of inspections has a tick for presence and condition of earth electrode :-S

Even if the socket outlets were not rcd protected, surely that’s a C3 if it’s a 3rd floor flat.?
Yes in my opinion although I have seen extension leads from upper floor flats. If all your sockets are on that rcd (check for one on a cooker control unit) that Report is incorrect.

Its rampant this sort of thing, looked at a job last week after client queried an condition report arranged through he's letting agent. Wanted £1200 for new consumer unit. Report was full of holes, even got the circuit numbers wrong. Sad to see a 6mm for the cooker on a 40a and did not even mention that. All it needed was a few mcb's replaced with rcbo's

So what is the answer? The landlord/lady lives hundreds of miles away so has to trust a third party to manage the property! Very frustrating. I think I would personally try and find a local electrician to carry out another report. However, I would first make sure the electrician is a member of a competent person scheme , has some good reviews on line and also I would show them the certificate and ask there opinion to gauge if they know what they are talking about ( you can compare it to what you have learnt from this thread).

I realise that all sounds like a bit of a pain in the back side but your other choice is to just pay up.

I’m not a big criticiser of other people reports, but...
C2 for plastic board -wrong Should be C3 or no code.
C2 For out of date smokes - wrong Should be no code. Smokes are not part of our regs. Only the hard wired connections and electrical safety are what we are establishing. Yes it’s worth a mention but that’s all.
C2 for no RCD for circuit passing through room containing bath or shower. wrong unless there is no supplementary bonding present. This was not mentioned therefore we cannot judge.
C2 for sockets that may be used for outdoor equipment. Correct, but as you said it has RCD protection.

something isn’t right with this one. Get a second opinion.
Supplementary bonding is ticked as ok

Get another electrician to check his findings (oh, you have done that by posting here) - they will probably tell you that the codings are too harse. Then get someone else to quote for what is actually needed .
(Note to self - must put my prices up!)

If the letting agent has arranged it the spark ain’t getting the £200, you’ve paid for the privilege of the letting agent to arrange it for you? It’s another source of revenue for them!.....the spark is treating it as a loss leader and makes his end up in the repairs, they are in it together I’m afraid,

If the letting agent has arranged it the spark ain’t getting the £200, you’ve paid for the privilege of the letting agent to arrange it for you? It’s another source of revenue for them!.....the spark is treating it as a loss leader and makes his end up in the repairs, they are in it together I’m afraid,

To add to that, some (not all) letting agents deduct a "contractors commission" from the amount they pay to the contractor. I used to do work for one such agent. I simply inflated my prices so that after the deduction, I received what I would have normally charged. That will apply to the remedial work as well.

If this is the case, the agent has little to gain by querying the report, other than a reduced cut of the commission for any work needed.

I’m just shocked that an estate agent (the last true bastion of integrity) would take what is essentially a well meaning price of legislation and use it to squeeze a few more pounds out of they landlords!......??? parasites!
They provide an essential service, helping to relieve landlords of all that back-breaking work that they might otherwise have to do themselves.

They provide an essential service, helping to relieve landlords of all that back-breaking work that they might otherwise have to do themselves.

I used to use a letting agent years ago. They just caused delays and expense. Much better off doing it yourself, but obviously that's not as practical if you don't live near the property.

I had to go and look at a light last week that wasn’t working....niceic eicr the day before said all was fine!......I explained that due to the nature of the fault I doubted that it had been ok the day before, light not working and voltage on the neutral with older cabling at the switch and newer at the light itself, plastered ceiling and another flat upstairs with no access......caused no end of problems for the estate agents considering they’d charged twice as much as I quoted and didn’t actually get permission from the landlord to do the eicr!.....guess who got the repair works ?.....and the tenant says to me “I don’t care what it costs the letting agent is paying” ?

I really think there are fully qualified sparks doing EICR’s that don’t know what they are doing. An EICR is totally different to any other certification we are trained to do.
anyone who hasn’t taken the appropriate course should not be doing them and I think they need to be more scrutinised To ensure they are to an appropriate uniformed standard.

We have a problem at the moment in so far as the new laws regarding rental properties and eicrs.
i have to say I absolutely agree with the new laws.

The problem is There are thousands of landlords requiring EICRs now. I have a list of 23 to do before April 1st. I haven’t given any of them a date of completion yet as I am going to do them one at a time and then do there remedial if necessary before going on to the next. This is between all the other jobs I have booked and emergency calls I am getting in.

I am not committing to any more EICRs And have turned down over 5 in last 2 weeks. This means they will use anyone Qualified or not.
In your case a111an I think you have a fully qualified spark, but he hasn’t done an EICR course and there is not requirment to do so.
I really think there are sparks who think they are fully qualified doing EICR’s and are so far out of their depth that they don’t know what they are doing

IMO the 2391 , 2394/5 has little value since the fast track training organisations got hold of it and turned it into a paper excerise that generates cash, the fact that you can pass the exam with no real site work experience clearly demonstrates this.

The number of similar and recurring threads that this forum is seeing clearly indicates that the electrical industry has a problem with inspection and testing if it not landlords asking questions of their EICR it is "sparks" trying to justify whether a problem found while doing an EICR is a C1, C2 or C3.
Add to this that with every new edition or amendment of the regs most installations are rendered non compliant whilst remaining perfectly safe for continued use

I really think there are sparks who think they are fully qualified doing EICR’s and are so far out of their depth that they don’t know what they are doing

IMO the 2391 , 2394/5 has little value since the fast track training organisations got hold of it and turned it into a paper excerise that generates cash, the fact that you can pass the exam with no real site work experience clearly demonstrates this.
I completely agree and I’ll hold my hands up to being one of those who did 2391-52 through what can only be described as a money making organisation rather than a learning provider.

I was an avionic technician and supervisor in the RAF for 10 years and when it came to leaving I knew I was going to end up in a maintenance job in a commercial or industrial environment, and that I’d need PLC experience and an 18th edition certificate to meet the “must haves” for most of those job adverts. My 10 years of experience with electrical and electronic systems and the underpinning electrical principles knowledge from the excellent training only went so far, ultimately the knowledge and experience was aircraft based and I didn’t have the required civilian ticks.

So, I went off and researched the courses available concentrating on those that allowed me to use my learning credits for funding. I came across one provider that offered a four week combined PLC (10 days), 18th (3 days) and 2391-52 (5 days + 1 day practical exam at later date) course which used the maximum funding from one of my three credits, plus a personal contribution of about £900.

No prior experience was required, other than a basic understanding of electrical principles which was assumed rather than assessed. I sat the course with four other military guys, all of us aircraft avionic techs and none of us with any domestic or commercial experience. Until the first afternoon of 2391-52 I had never taken the cover off of a DB or CU, let alone used an MFT or done EFLI testing.

Unsurprisingly the 5 of us really struggled with both the practical and theory elements. Not only were the wiring and installation methods physically different, the terminology was also completely foreign. TN-C-S, TT, Zs, Ze, R1+R2? None of those are relevant to aircraft, nor are there any directly related principles to compare to. Safe isolation procedure? Unplug the power lead, switch off the battery and hang a sign up. Maybe disconnect the battery if you’re breaking into fuel lines/tanks. Test to confirm dead? Maybe flick a couple of switches and make sure the equipment doesn’t come on. All of these skills apprentice electricians take for granted had to be learned in the space of 5 days!

All 5 of us complained at the time, and it’s a complaint repeated every time they run the course I imagine, that 2391-52 is not suitable for people like us with no site experience of normal, “civilian”, electrical supplies when even experienced electricians were struggling. There were at least two domestic installers and an ex-apprentice with 17 years experience who needed the certificate for his employer (local council). They found the theory hard but at least understood the terminology and were brilliant at the practical testing.

The provider shrugged off our complaints, just happy to be getting the money at the end of the day. Of the 5 military guys 3 of us passed the theory exams and, as far as I’m aware, I’m the only one to have gone back and passed the practical exam. I didn’t need to, and certainly don’t need the qualification for my day job, but it seemed a waste to go to all the effort of learning it all, and paying for the course, to not get something out of it. I only passed it all through studying the books in my own time and practicing at home and at work with an MFT I bought for myself. I was, and am, a little shocked at the complete lack of testing or even adherence to the regs I’ve come across in the places I’ve worked by colleagues who do call themselves electricians.

I do not claim to be an electrician or any sort of regs expert and nor do I run around house bashing for a living now. I’ve spent the 18 months since doing the course getting site experience alongside my day job as a maintenance tech by going out with a couple of qualified electricians and doing jobs with them in my own time. I’ve learned so much more from them, from this forum and the multitude of YouTube electricians (Dave Savery and SparkyNinja mainly) than I ever would have from the course alone.

It’s from that limited site experience and my own further studying that I’ve learnt how to read the certificates with a critical eye and see the things that don’t add up on paper. My 2391-52 certificate is just that, it’s almost worthless without the hard earned experience.

Reply to HELP! EICR advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net