Discuss Re wire estimate 4 bed house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

if the electrics are as old as the house, then im guessing the plumbing isnt much better.
Lead pipes perhaps?

If you have the EICR there, have a read of it... If there are no C1 or C2 problems.... tell 'em to jog on.
Even an original fuseboard with rewirable fuses would pass as satisfactory, but would be recommended (strongly) to be upgraded.

Around here... south scotland... the housing market is quite good at the moment... i dont think you'll have trouble finding another interested party

Hi,

Thanks to anyone who reads this and offers any advice.

Sold my house and the buyer requested an electrical inspection report which they paid for. House was built in the 1960s. In average condition but I felt the price reflected this.

Report recommends a full new re wire (which I agree with as the electrics are around 40-50 years old) the report also recommends some other things such as relocation of the DB unit to the garage.

My question is that obviously they want to renegotiate the price of the house (fair enough) but they’ve sent an estimate of £7000 excluding VAT. Minimum price with the potential of it to be more expensive. I’ve spoken to a few friends who are electricians and obviously they haven’t seen the house electrics themselves (and I appreciate no one will have in this forum either) but I’m struggling to comprehend the £7000 figure.

So basically I’m coming to this forum to ask advice of how much you guys think a full rewire of the house Would cost. We live in the north east of England (Newcastle) it’s a 4 bed semi detached house with 2 bathrooms (1 electric shower) and an attached garage with electrics.
4 bedrooms are decent sizes
2 bathrooms
2 reception rooms
A decent size kitchen
A large garage
Large ish hallway

I’m aware that to sell the house with dodgy electrics isn’t a good idea and I’m fully aware I’m going to need to knock some money off the sale price but in my eyes the money I’d knock off would be for a very basic rewire to ensure the electrics complied and were safe. The report may recommend things which are not essential and only a recommendation. But what I don’t want to do is knock off 7k and then them get the re wire a lot cheaper. I’m conscious that the people buying my house have a relative (who also came to view the house and is in the building trade) could be trying to pull a fast one. The buyers were very happy to proceed as fast as possible until their relative came to view the house and then all these issues started being raised.

Again I fully understand when buying a house you don’t want unexpected things to arise that haven’t been mentioned. But the house was priced in the condition it’s in and although I’m happy to negotiate another price I don’t want to be ripped off or taken advantage of. Not moved in a very long time so in sorry if I’m asking questions which are obvious.

I’d just appreciate a little advice or guidance from you experts.

Thanks again
I'm based Newcastle/Northumberland and for house that size my pricing slightly less based on white fittings, no spots, 3 ring mains, cooker, shower, boiler radial circuits 2 lighting circuits, 18th edition SPD/RCBO C/U with new main bonding. outside socket front and back + PIR floodlight. Based on 2 floors £6=6.5k; over 3 floors +£1k no VAT.

Different contractors have different overheads etc.

If you don't want to negotiate a price stick to your guns the housing market is hot and if its priced to reflect the work it will go.

best luck with it

In the current property climate .. instruct agents to continue to market the property . Keep buyers on their toes the moment they start messing around . I once stepped in to help a rich old lady who was been taken for a ride when she was selling her house in order to fund a retirement apartment . The moment i knew who the agent was .I knew they would try and con her . They where telling her to accept £230k less than they valued it for !!! The whole house buying business is corrupt and stressful in the UK. The USA is amazing and its so much easier . In the UK its like people think they are at a car boot sale !

When we sold our last house the lady who owned the estate agent told us one simple piece of advice , you are selling 4 walls and a roof. So assuming you have 4 walls and a roof then the price you set is the price you set based on its condition as you see it. If the house is in tatty old condition you price it as such and that is your price , maybe leave a tiny bit of wiggle room to negotiate but not much. We put ours on in reasonable good order and were asking £315,000 which was a very fair price. The buyers paid us £312,000 which we were happy with. if they had tried to blag us with some nonsense like wanting another 7 grand off for a re-wire I would have told them to do one.

Hi,

Thanks to anyone who reads this and offers any advice.

Sold my house and the buyer requested an electrical inspection report which they paid for. House was built in the 1960s. In average condition but I felt the price reflected this.

Report recommends a full new re wire (which I agree with as the electrics are around 40-50 years old) the report also recommends some other things such as relocation of the DB unit to the garage.

My question is that obviously they want to renegotiate the price of the house (fair enough) but they’ve sent an estimate of £7000 excluding VAT. Minimum price with the potential of it to be more expensive. I’ve spoken to a few friends who are electricians and obviously they haven’t seen the house electrics themselves (and I appreciate no one will have in this forum either) but I’m struggling to comprehend the £7000 figure.

So basically I’m coming to this forum to ask advice of how much you guys think a full rewire of the house Would cost. We live in the north east of England (Newcastle) it’s a 4 bed semi detached house with 2 bathrooms (1 electric shower) and an attached garage with electrics.
4 bedrooms are decent sizes
2 bathrooms
2 reception rooms
A decent size kitchen
A large garage
Large ish hallway

I’m aware that to sell the house with dodgy electrics isn’t a good idea and I’m fully aware I’m going to need to knock some money off the sale price but in my eyes the money I’d knock off would be for a very basic rewire to ensure the electrics complied and were safe. The report may recommend things which are not essential and only a recommendation. But what I don’t want to do is knock off 7k and then them get the re wire a lot cheaper. I’m conscious that the people buying my house have a relative (who also came to view the house and is in the building trade) could be trying to pull a fast one. The buyers were very happy to proceed as fast as possible until their relative came to view the house and then all these issues started being raised.

Again I fully understand when buying a house you don’t want unexpected things to arise that haven’t been mentioned. But the house was priced in the condition it’s in and although I’m happy to negotiate another price I don’t want to be ripped off or taken advantage of. Not moved in a very long time so in sorry if I’m asking questions which are obvious.

I’d just appreciate a little advice or guidance from you experts.

Thanks again
Do your homework....find out how much the materials will cost...maybe £1000.00..add on say say 10 days labour at about £120.00 per day....if your being charged more that £150 .00 per day you are being ripped off....add on some over heads at say 20 per and add it all up . With profit you should be paying no more than about £4000.....hope this helps

Do your homework....find out how much the materials will cost...maybe £1000.00..add on say say 10 days labour at about £120.00 per day....if your being charged more that £150 .00 per day you are being ripped off....add on some over heads at say 20 per and add it all up . With profit you should be paying no more than about £4000.....hope this helps
What part of the country are you from Brian? These rates you have quoted seem extremely low

Indeed, probably equivalent to £35-40k / year after overheads and holidays, sick leave, etc, are allowed for.
I might be wrong but I am sure I heard Artisan gezza say he pays himself £150,000p.a out of his electrical business. No wonder he can afford to drive around in a new Tesla

£120 a day??? brain dead labourers get more than that for shovelling.

I don't know anyone that charges rates as low as you do, and that's including painters et all. All your posts relate to the same thing, like an EICR should be no more than £85. Anyone expecting to pay the rates you talk about is in for a massive shock when they get proper quotes in because it's not going to be remotely similar.

If Brian is a professional electrician, can’t tell as profile is private, then I will gladly employ him 8 to 10 hours a day for £120 per hour. I will still make a decent profit from that even if he works half as quickly as the other subcontractors I use regularly.

I might be wrong but I am sure I heard Artisan gezza say he pays himself £150,000p.a out of his electrical business. No wonder he can afford to drive around in a new Tesla
The way to get rich, as in really rich is not to earn it yourself, but to have other working for you that do!

To get £150k/year you would need to be clearing £635/day for every working day in a 48 week year (4 weeks holiday). No allowances for time between jobs, or paper work, or the various expenses of actually running a spark's business. So I guess that is from employees unless he can command £1k/day rates.

I expect to pay any experienced tradesperson £300 a day MINIMUM
Agree. I’d been charging £30/hour min down in sunny Surrey with no probs. Was surprised that a mate of mine who is a very experienced proper spark, just down the road, was charging the same. Told him he needed to charge more. Current climate, with inflation going the way it is , surprised people can keep going on this low rates.

Last edited:
Not sure your figures add up to a realistic price for the job or any job for that matter

Step away from the alcohol....you've definitely had enough, £120 a day I charge more than that for 3 hours.......You need to pull your head out of 1978

Reply to Re wire estimate 4 bed house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net