Discuss how much to charge out apprentice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

WallaceP

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello, Looking for advice on how much to bill out of apprentice electrician on jobs. Do you have a % to add on to their rate to allow for expensies, PAYE, NI, Holiday pay etc?

Presumably the apprentice won't be left on his/her own ,I would charge the sparks and apprentice as One unit cost. For example 1 sparks + 1 apprentice = X

Presumably the apprentice won't be left on his/her own ,I would charge the sparks and apprentice as One unit cost. For example 1 sparks + 1 apprentice = X

I would guess though the apprentice might be at college some days? Maybe half your rate would be appropriate? How much are you paying the apprentice? If you consider a painter and decorator which is unskilled (Although I am sure some would argue otherwise) want about £120-£150 a day, same with like a window cleaner then I think charging £100 a day for a skilled apprentice would be acceptable.

Personally I would not call them an apprentice in the invoice or customers, I would call them electricians mate...

I would guess though the apprentice might be at college some days? Maybe half your rate would be appropriate? How much are you paying the apprentice? If you consider a painter and decorator which is unskilled (Although I am sure some would argue otherwise) want about £120-£150 a day, same with like a window cleaner then I think charging £100 a day for a skilled apprentice would be acceptable.

Personally I would not call them an apprentice in the invoice or customers, I would call them electricians mate...
Hi. Would probably be SJIB rates so £5.66 for year 1 i think. I was wondering if there was a quick rule of thumb say, rate x factor = chargeable rate. Where the factor allows for college days, holidays, NI etc

Mates rates then :)

Hi. Would probably be SJIB rates so £5.66 for year 1 i think. I was wondering if there was a quick rule of thumb say, rate x factor = chargeable rate. Where the factor allows for college days, holidays, NI etc

You can charge a customer what ever you want, I often if its a weekend and its not close will massively inflate my rate to a new customer if I dont really want to go do the job, if they want to find someone else thats fine, if they want to pay me silly money then ill go do it..

I would also think it depends on the job especially if its a year 1 apprentice, if its a job you have done before an you know the apprentice knows how to do stuff then yeah charge him out but there might be times where you have to spend as much time explaining to the apprentice what to do or for them to be watching you or you looking over their shoulder that you probably would think it unfair to charge them out.. So don't think their has to be a hard and fast rule.. Like if you get a job thats a one man job like changing a light then you might just get the apprentice to do the work and you stand and watch (supervise) in which case dont charge out for the apprentice..

Reply to how much to charge out apprentice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock