Discuss how to become a domestic installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Haha.. this thread will get entertaining so get the pop corn out.
Basically the quick way is do the crash courses. 17th and 2392 as a minimum. Change the cu or wire up your shed at home. Get a multi tester and some insurance and then do the multi choice test from niceic at home. As long as your cheque clears. You arent a numpty on your assessment and all the paperwork is in order you are in....
It doesnt make you competent or safe though.
That only comes with time and experience. Each to there own. I know ex forces people who have gone this route and work within there limits... on the other hand there are some right dodgy cowboys out there who have gone down this route.
Its a contentious issue on here and only you know if you are sufficiently skilled to be safe

You can apply with any number of training centres who will give you an expensive package that will ill equip you for a life working as an electrician. There are loads online if you search.
The job will entail working in domestic situations installing simple circuits safely, but don't worry too much about the safety aspect, as with the basic info provided on course you go on combined with the OSG, you can pretty much wire by numbers and not worry about any in depth knowledge as to the physics involved.
Wages you say ? Well wages will vary depending on experience, of which you will have none as the short courses do not teach the craft but merely how to get through some multi choice exams. Your wages will also be limited, even with experience, by the poor excuse for qualifications you will end up with.

Hope this helps.

Haha.. this thread will get entertaining so get the pop corn out.
Basically the quick way is do the crash courses. 17th and 2392 as a minimum. Change the cu or wire up your shed at home. Get a multi tester and some insurance and then do the multi choice test from niceic at home. As long as your cheque clears. You arent a numpty on your assessment and all the paperwork is in order you are in....
It doesnt make you competent or safe though.
That only comes with time and experience. Each to there own. I know ex forces people who have gone this route and work within there limits... on the other hand there are some right dodgy cowboys out there who have gone down this route.
Its a contentious issue on here and only you know if you are sufficiently skilled to be safe
Couldn't have put it better, a farce none the less, not you Gavin.

Hi,

The domestic installer is really aimed at people who want to work for themselves & become part p registered.
You never see jobs advertising for domestic installer its always fully qualified electrician with JIB.

What is it you want to do? self employed or work for someone?

All the best

Michael

Hi,

The domestic installer is really aimed at people who want to work for themselves & become part p registered.
You never see jobs advertising for domestic installer its always fully qualified electrician with JIB.

What is it you want to do? self employed or work for someone?

All the best

Michael

Depends. Big new build companies are crying out for poorly trained workers they can exploit.

Hi Michael work for someone when I was in my last year at school I wanted to get a job as an electrician but the college I went to never did it and I didn't leave with the grades needed to get on to the course. What would you suggest thanks

Couldn't have put it better, a farce none the less, not you Gavin.
No worries Pete, no offence taken. the short course route can work for some, and they are few.. ie long serving sparks mates or former engineers and skilled trades from the forces in particular reme or avionics engineers. for somebody with no prior experience the five week wonder route is a false economy.

What is my best bet. Because with the apprenticeship there like hens teeth all these courses are supposed to be a quick route and there not cheap I couldn' go to college as I work all week. Thanks

you can do a proper college course 2 evenings a week and get a "proper" qualification . couple that with 3 years work as a sparks' mate (maybe with agency) and then you can go on to am2 and nvq3.

LOL Brilliant :D

Id follow tels advice and do it the long and as he said 'proper' way. You'll certainly be a lot safer and more comptent after. I' also intersted in what you have seen that they earn?

Reply to how to become a domestic installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net