Discuss how to become a domestic installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

What is my best bet. Because with the apprenticeship there like hens teeth all these courses are supposed to be a quick route and there not cheap I couldn' go to college as I work all week. Thanks
what is this "domestic installer" you talk of?

Ahh the good old I cant do it properly because I go to work excuse. Then maybe either make the sacrifice to your job to ensure you can make time to do it properly, too many people think theres a quick fix method to becoming a electrician, when in reality there isnt. Many of us didnt spend many years going to college and learning the trade along side experienced people for a laugh you know.

what is this "domestic installer" you talk of?

Ahh the good old I cant do it properly because I go to work excuse. Then maybe either make the sacrifice to your job to ensure you can make time to do it properly, too many people think theres a quick fix method to becoming a electrician, when in reality there isnt. Many of us didnt spend many years going to college and learning the trade along side experienced people for a laugh you know.

Totally disagree with this mate. The circumstance of people differ and these shorter courses will suit some people, as long as they know the limitations of the course.

Totally disagree with this mate. The circumstance of people differ and these shorter courses will suit some people, as long as they know the limitations of the course.

Utter crap, sorry. How would you prove comptance if something went ---- up. Ohh but the bloke at the Electrical Trainee trainging center said I was a qualified electrician. Were talking about something you cant smell or see only feel which can be fatal here, or is that ok cos he didnt have time to learn the trade and all the sciences behind it properly?

Utter crap, sorry. How would you prove comptance if something went ---- up. Ohh but the bloke at the Electrical Trainee trainging center said I was a qualified electrician. Were talking about something you cant smell or see only feel which can be fatal here, or is that ok cos he didnt have time to learn the trade and all the sciences behind it properly?

Think you misread my post mate. I'm not saying anyone who does a Electrical Trainee should then think they are capable of doing a full rewire on a house. "as long as they know the limitations of the course."

I think a DI card should be handed out, if you do a DI course, the card should say for Domestic work only (for example) this will calm the commercial and industrial guys who have done proper full length apprenticeships and only allow the DIs to work on the type of installation they have been trained on. for what it is worth I also hate the name DI, but it is what the short course training centres call their trainees when the courses are complete, so we will just have to learn to live with it.

Think you misread my post mate. I'm not saying anyone who does a Electrical Trainee should then think they are capable of doing a full rewire on a house. "as long as they know the limitations of the course."

But we dont know the OPs limitations do we? So we have to give the advice thats appropriate to what we know about them.

I think a DI card should be handed out, if you do a DI course, the card should say for Domestic work only (for example) this will calm the commercial and industrial guys who have done proper full length apprenticeships and only allow the DIs to work on the type of installation they have been trained on. for what it is worth I also hate the name DI, but it is what the short course training centres call their trainees when the courses are complete, so we will just have to learn to live with it.
Come on Mike, thats the sort of attitude which has led to this thing happening in the first place, we need to make a stand and try and resolve this quick fix issue.

But we dont know the OPs limitations do we? So we have to give the advice thats appropriate to what we know about them.

It's hard to know anything about the OP as he has not posted in quite a bit. Still wanting the know this magical wage figure.

No, don't give them a card, that will only encourage them. I can imagine them now turning up at a callout and holding up the card with a puffed out chest. "It's OK madam, Joe Bloggs, domestic installer, what seems to be the problem ?" o_O

Come on Mike, thats the sort of attitude which has led to this thing happening in the first place, we need to make a stand and try and resolve this quick fix issue.
I know mate, but it not only is happening it has happened and it is still happening, so unless something changes which the powers that be decide needs changing the only thing really is to limit the short course takers to domestic only, I am not saying I like it fella, just that we are where we are and damage limitation must be the way for now, I hope you understand where I am coming from.

I know mate, but it not only is happening it has happened and it is still happening, so unless something changes which the powers that be decide needs changing the only thing really is to limit the short course takers to domestic only, I am not saying I like it fella, just that we are where we are and damage limitation must be the way for now, I hope you understand where I am coming from.
No, don't give them a card, that will only encourage them. I can imagine them now turning up at a callout and holding up the card with a puffed out chest. "It's OK madam, Joe Bloggs, domestic installer, what seems to be the problem ?" o_O
It wouldn't be my choice to deal out cards, I am suggesting it is a way of stopping the short course domestic guys getting into the commercial and industrial side of things, currently when you are on some sites all types of people turn up with a card which has never normally been seen before saying they are qualified, they last a day on site and go away with their tail between their legs. IMO they should never walk onto the site, but if they have a card which says they are not allowed to work on anything non domestic then this is a start. Obviously I am not happy with that either but it is a way under the current situation to stop the mass of unskilled short coursers getting onto construction sites, just saying :D

It wouldn't be my choice to deal out cards, I am suggesting it is a way of stopping the short course domestic guys getting into the commercial and industrial side of things, currently when you are on some sites all types of people turn up with a card which has never normally been seen before saying they are qualified, they last a day on site and go away with their tail between their legs. IMO they should never walk onto the site, but if they have a card which says they are not allowed to work on anything non domestic then this is a start. Obviously I am not happy with that either but it is a way under the current situation to stop the mass of unskilled short coursers getting onto construction sites, just saying :D

Surely the current system of them not being able to get an ECS card of any merit works just fine ?

we are where we are

Not getting at you @MDJ but this is one of those sayings that I REALLY dislike. Like "It is what it is"..
Usually used by people who have not taken the advice of others and things have not gone to plan.
I have always wanted to grab their heads and smash it against the table and when they complain just say "It is what it is.... Lets move on.."
Going for a coffee now, whinge over....

Surely the current system of them not being able to get an ECS card of any merit works just fine ?
Does it? I have seen cards that I have never heard of before which some of these guys carry with them, they go on agencies and are sent to sites from the agencies when companies ask for sparks. I have seen them lol, they are just crazy. By time the company has sussed them out they have been on site at least a whole day or even two before they get sent packing and the job has suffered. I have spoken to agencies about why they send these guys to site, they say well they are electricians they have a card lol, perhaps better monitoring or entries to site is the way forward, but on big sites guys can get lost for a day or two before they are discovered.

Not getting at you @MDJ but this is one of those sayings that I REALLY dislike. Like "It is what it is"..
Usually used by people who have not taken the advice of others and things have not gone to plan.
I have always wanted to grab their heads and smash it against the table and when they complain just say "It is what it is.... Lets move on.."
Going for a coffee now, whinge over....
well we are where we are, we have complained for years about short courses, if anything they are more numerous now than ever before, we have not been able to stop them, so rather than punish the people taking them by constantly moking them, they should be limited to only the work the course has trained them for, lol, if they have been trained of course. It is about 6k for some of these courses and they have been exploited and when it is over they think they are qualified, what can be done? we have been discussing and arguing this for years and it is just not stopping, if anything it is growing even bigger lol, now come and smash my hand against the table :p

Ah right, wasn't aware that spurious cards issued by training providers exist.
That's down to a failing of the agencies and site managers for not checking credentials surely and not a failing of the current card system ?

Ah right, wasn't aware that spurious cards issued by training providers exist.
That's down to a failing of the agencies and site managers for not checking credentials surely and not a failing of the current card system ?
It is criminal really, they spend 6K, get a bit of plastic with Electrician written on it and they are sent into the big wide world and then crucified, and the biggest problem is it is growing as well, more around now than ever before hence a limitation card as a temporary means to limit their work until this mess gets sorted out, if it ever does.

Obviously I wouldn't issue any card myself, but the training companies need to give them something at the end of 5 weeks.

Reply to how to become a domestic installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net