Discuss how to wire 4 way consumer unit (shed) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

billy192

DIY
Reaction score
hi
I have a 4 way consumer unit I need to add to my shed. first there is no busbar , so i have got one from screwfix.
but I am not totally sure where to put the live feed in please?

where do i put the busbar top or bott
where do i put the neutral in / feed

I am OK with most electric

please dont laugh

Billy

Attachments

• IMG_2285 (1).jpg
    344 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 78
The busbar needs to be appropriate for that consumer and should either be shrouded or the enclosure should contain a busbar shield. The neutral link from the main switch is also missing. I would strongly recommend using an electrician to do these works as from you have said it is beyond your level of expertise.
That 30ma rcd also appears to be time delayed which is not appropriate to provide suitable additional protection, from its origin which appears to be China I would not be using it.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Just to add to the above, adding a consumer unit falls under Part P and the local authority needs notifying of the work.
Another good excuse to get an electrician in to do the work, as they can do this as well, and it will be cheaper than you notifying them.

As above, get a local spark in, then he / she can install a decent consumer unit for you and supply you with the relevant paperwork, and notify LABC etc...

I suspect the OP was given it or acquired it free/cheap somehow. Apart from missing a busbar and the other issues mentioned, does the shed really need three C16 circuits, and presumably won't have any lighting circuit?

i thought i would get ridiculed thanks guys
It's not ridicule mate. That looks like a very cheap unit and of Chinese origin, I would be very reluctant to use that as it may not have passed the required standards to be used on UK wiring systems. They do have the relevant standards printed on them but it has ben know for Chinese manufacturers to just use standard switches rather than circuit breakers.

As the busbar and neutral links are missing I would also suspect quality control in the factory isn't that good.

Also they are C curve MCBs, have you confirmed that your circuit earth loop impedance is sufficient for the device to operate under fault conditions?

Personally I would send it back for a refund as it is incomplete.

Please contact a local electrician for further advice, if you post your location up possibly one of the forum members may be able to assist more.

i thought i would get ridiculed thanks guys
if yous still lurking. it ain't ridicule. would you buy an old banger from Arthur Daley and get a plumber to service it before taking your beloved and sprogs on holiday in it? do it right or not at all.

The busbar needs to be appropriate for that consumer and should either be shrouded or the enclosure should contain a busbar shield. The neutral link from the main switch is also missing. I would strongly recommend using an electrician to do these works as from you have said it is beyond your level of expertise.
That 30ma rcd also appears to be time delayed which is not appropriate to provide suitable additional protection, from its origin which appears to be China I would not be using it.
Hi there, I have a new consumer unit which looks the same as yours in photo 1,
I have fitted many consumer units in the past without any problem the thing with this unit is at the bottom of the main switch every other unit I have fitted there is only the 2 outputs one live and one neutral this one has 3 although one is under a cover it has 2 smaller connectors and 1 larger one which is the same size as all of the rest of the connectors used including the main input and all of the outputs except the 2 outputs on the rod which are smaller, I bought this unit from Amazon.co.uk and it is not a Chinese unit.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated, Regards Poppy Ann.

I have fitted many consumer units in the past without any problem the thing with this unit is at the bottom of the main switch every other unit I have fitted there is only the 2 outputs one live and one neutral this one has 3 although one is under a cover it has 2 smaller connectors and 1 larger one which is the same size as all of the rest of the connectors used including the main input and all of the outputs except the 2 outputs on the rod which are smaller, I bought this unit from Amazon.co.uk and it is not a Chinese unit.
Can you post a photo of it? In all honesty I would never buy electrical equipment especially consumer units from Amazon, no guarantee of quality or origin.

I would say the one in the ops photo is Chinese.,going by the Chinese writing on the rcd unit. I would also be concern that the metal din rail is not connected to the earth bar . Agree with others,there is s log of doggy stuff for sale on Amazon, so would be very wary of this product

I would say the one in the ops photo is Chinese.,going by the Chinese writing on the rcd unit. I would also be concern that the metal din rail is not connected to the earth bar . Agree with others,there is s log of doggy stuff for sale on Amazon, so would be very wary of this product

I definitely wouldn't be fitting one of those in my house

I posted about a very similar Db a while back.

Tests carried out on these units on behalf of Leicestershire Trading Standards revealed safety concerns. The Residual Current Device melted rather than cutting power, some of the Miniature Circuit Breakers failed to trip, and parts of the circuit remained live even with the main power switch turned off.

I posted about a very similar Db a while back.

Tests carried out on these units on behalf of Leicestershire Trading Standards revealed safety concerns. The Residual Current Device melted rather than cutting power, some of the Miniature Circuit Breakers failed to trip, and parts of the circuit remained live even with the main power switch turned off.

Scary.

Reply to how to wire 4 way consumer unit (shed) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net