Discuss how to wire a start button using a 3 phase contactor in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

freddiemac

Hi Guys, any help is really appreciated! Want to wire a start button while using a three phase contactor. Contactor has A1 and A2 for coil and is 220 volts (contactor ).
I tried wiring A1 to 1 on contact block and A2 to 2 on contact block of start push button. No power to machine. Does the coil need a jumper from L1 to energize coil? Have 220 volts across L1, L2, and L3. No power going out when pushing the push button.

Depends if you want the button to be latching or non latching, have you got a stop button in the system?

you also need to determine the coil voltage before slapping 240V across A1 -A2.

Depends if you want the button to be latching or non latching, have you got a stop button in the system?

Why done you just buy a 3 phase stop/start enclosure. If this is going into an a factory (and that is why its in the Industrial section of the forum) then it needs to be done property. If anyone gets hurt using the motor then your head is on the line.

Last edited:
Any reason why your name doesn't some up on the Members search, or even then you put the @ in front of the name? It's good to see if you are new here. Everything is blocked...

Hang on, that's me. Unregistered users are able to post. Unintentionally. I'm using a forum category as a contact us area for Lou and I rather than using email based contact form. Because we just get too many to keep track of and mix all the forums up.

So I needed a setting to allow unregistered people to post to that area, but only that area. I will get this fixed today. :)

Hang on, that's me. Unregistered users are able to post. Unintentionally. I'm using a forum category as a contact us area for Lou and I rather than using email based contact form. Because we just get too many to keep track of and mix all the forums up.

So I needed a setting to allow unregistered people to post to that area, but only that area. I will get this fixed today. :)

Didn't we used to see a 'Guest' tag next to people who haven't registered?
Could do that again, and let them post in the usual forums, unless it makes things difficult for you.

Didn't we used to see a 'Guest' tag next to people who haven't registered?
Could do that again, and let them post in the usual forums, unless it makes things difficult for you.
Leave that to me mate I'll sort what I'm doing out. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Just take the image next time mate. Linking to those sorts of sites isn't wise. They close down once they stop getting ad revenue and then we end up with dodgy links. It isn't their image by the looks of it anyway, they're just pinching them from dozens of websites and making their own weird websites full of obscure images.

You have my permission to borrow them all mate. :)

If it ever looks like an actual company though, who have made the diagrams themselves, then they aren't going to close down, and link to those. :)

(Sorry it had taken me a while to dig around and clock what they were doing - I thought they were legit at first glance, but they're not they have dozens of websites with weird domain names just ranking for images).

Hi Guys, any help is really appreciated! Want to wire a start button while using a three phase contactor. Contactor has A1 and A2 for coil and is 220 volts (contactor ).
I tried wiring A1 to 1 on contact block and A2 to 2 on contact block of start push button. No power to machine. Does the coil need a jumper from L1 to energize coil? Have 220 volts across L1, L2, and L3. No power going out when pushing the push button.
If you don't know something so simple you shouldn't be messing with it. Guesswork leads to danger......not just for you.

If you don't know something so simple you shouldn't be messing with it. Guesswork leads to danger......not just for you.

That was my 1st thought on the post but thought I would keep my mouth shut so not to upset a new member.
Agree with you completely this could lead to all sorts of pain.

Freddiemac here’s your wiring diagram
[automerge]1599073875[/automerge]
I forgot to add the overloads

Attachments

• C0AD70A0-575F-4296-97F4-A7B975FE0077.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 02785D1D-068D-4DBD-BC1C-5CD25D62A374.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
Why done you just buy a 3 phase stop/start enclosure. If this is going into an a factory (and that is why its in the Industrial section of the forum) then it needs to be done property. If anyone gets hurt using the motor then your head is on the line.

Hi, you will need to wire from L2 to A2
Then you will need to wire from L1 to ne side of the overload of the motor.
Then wire from the other side of the overload to one side the start button normally open.
Wire from the other side of the start button to one side of a stop button normally closed.

Wire from the other side of the stop button to the coil a1
You will also need to run wires from across the start button to the normally open contacts on the contactor to keep it running.
From a safety aspect you may well need to feed the start button from a safety relay (pilz or similar)!!!

Reply to how to wire a start button using a 3 phase contactor in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net