Discuss How to wire for "electrically sensitive" people in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I believe I may be one of the crazy people who thinks they are "electrically sensitive"... I hate that I am that guy, but this is kind of where I find myself. I'm convinced that the farther from all electrical stuff I sleep, the better I sleep, and I've kind of gotten obsessed with this

I'm trying to get a modular home built that will have the least amount of electrical and magnetic fields possible, I use a "TriField EMF Meter Model TF2" to measure it. The biggest unknown to me is the "electrical fields". I believe large electrical fields show up in houses because the currents aren't grounded properly or something? I have no idea if that is true, but the reason I believe that is that electrical devices that have two-prong outlet connections always show very high electrical fields on my meter, while grounded three-prong outlet connections almost always show no electrical field reading on my meter.

If I'm looking into getting a modular home built with the lowest electrical fields possible, does anyone know what I could do / what I could ask an electrician to do? Is it true that homes are supposed to have their currents "grounded" somehow? Any random thoughts are welcome!

TL;DR
I'm convinced electrical fields mess with my sleep - what can I do to properly wire a home to have less of them?
welcome fred have thought about getting a spark to build you a faraday cage .
has you are a wear the world is one big magnet from north to south so when touch say a
man made fibre that static is built up and to release that static you must touch a object like a metal pole to release it .

welcome fred have thought about getting a spark to build you a faraday cage .
has you are a wear the world is one big magnet from north to south so when touch say a
man made fibre that static is built up and to release that static you must touch a object like a metal pole to release it .

Hey buzzlightyear, thanks! I have actually built a faraday cage lol, but that only works to block out radio signals, like Wi-Fi or cell towers. Electrical fields from currents don't get blocked by it, and I'm not sure what to do to improve them. Some houses have really low electrical field readings, and some have really high, but I'm not sure what causes the difference

depending on local regulations, you could wire a house with all cables going back to main distribution board in shielded cable. it has an earthed metal braid cover and then a pvc cover over that.

emf emitted by the cable runs would become negligible.
use well grounded metal fittings and distribution boards.

that would make a big difference to the levels you can detect using your equipment.

depending on local regulations, you could wire a house with all cables going back to main distribution board in shielded cable. it has an earthed metal braid cover and then a pvc cover over that.

emf emitted by the cable runs would become negligible.
use well grounded metal fittings and distribution boards.

that would make a big difference to the levels you can detect using your equipment.

Okay thanks James! Do you know where I can get shielded cable / what qualifies as properly shielded? And when you say well grounded metal fittings and distribution boards, what are those? Sorry I am a complete newbie. Also how do those get grounded?

a metal box with a good connection to earth (ground) will work as a pretty good shield against most types of emf.
so fuse boards etc, use metal instead of plastic.
same with switches and outlets.
you should be discussing this with a local electrical contractor. as I am unsure of the rules for the us.
[automerge]1573671469[/automerge]
CY Cables – are used in environments when electrical interference free transmission is needed. CY Cables have a multi-core flex, tinned copper wire braid. All these components work together to protect the cable from external electromagnetic influences and mechanical stress.

a metal box with a good connection to earth (ground) will work as a pretty good shield against most types of emf.
so fuse boards etc, use metal instead of plastic.
same with switches and outlets.
you should be discussing this with a local electrical contractor. as I am unsure of the rules for the us.
[automerge]1573671469[/automerge]
CY Cables – are used in environments when electrical interference free transmission is needed. CY Cables have a multi-core flex, tinned copper wire braid. All these components work together to protect the cable from external electromagnetic influences and mechanical stress.

Okay thanks for your help!!

I used to live in a house that ran a few feet away from power lines and I was convinced they buzzed at times and couldn't work out why only sometimes. It never matched the weather or certain time of day.

We moved house a few years later, to be closer to a school not because the lines. But still to this day I'm convinced they buzzed. Not like a sub station hum just some sort of low soft bass feedback type bzzzzzz.

Electrical equipment can buzz at line frequency for all sorts of reasons, but buzz is not itself harmful. (Not you, Buzz, at least!). However it can trigger mental associations that heighten your perception of the presence of that equipment, which may be harmful even while the electricity itself is not.

Safety of EM fields is complex subject, widely misunderstood, and the sparse and sometimes questionable data that exists can be manipulated by quacks who want to sell you gadgets to 'neutralise' or 'control' these fields. I reckon perhaps 75% of what you read online about the subject is at least biased, at most downright lies, so exercise a healthy skepticism at every step of the investigation.

Shielded cables and fittings do the same job as a Faraday cage, it's just that the cage is around the wiring rather than the person. They reduce radiated electrostatic fields but have little effect on the near-electromagnetic field arising from current flowing through the cables.

Reply to How to wire for "electrically sensitive" people in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net