Discuss How to wire this LED? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ruairidh_

Ok first off I have absolutely no idea about anything to do with electrics, so don't judge me on what's probably a stupidly simple question[emoji14]
Basically I was wondering how I would wire this LED to a heatsink and how it would be wired so as it can be plugged into a household socket (the UK one)

Would you need a stepdown transformer thing so that the led doesn't explode? Any advice would be great.

Led: http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-mtg20-mcpcb-cree-mtg2-q0-5000k-6v-led-p-727.html

Last edited:
Why not save yourself the hastle and buy one of these https://www.ledhut.co.uk/10-watt-sl...-wYBIZ4aFek8x-IRqo2a95uM48dUriflUoRoCNK3w_wcB

By the time you buy a dedicated driver,heatsink,reflector,and some kind of case to put this in (this is asuming you get the correct advice on parts) it will have cost you at least 2 or 3 times the amount.
For what I would use it for (vivarium plant growth) wouldn't require a reflector or case, the led specs gives me 6500k adjustable beam angles, a much cooler Led, a very high lumen output and If all the parts I need (which would.be multiples of the same parts E.g heatsink, leds etc) come well under £80-70 then its worth the hastle

Last edited:
This is what it says on the website

MCPCB

6V Version

Approximated light output:

920-970lumens @ 1100mA 25°C

2116-2232lumens @ 3000mA 25°C

Color temperature: 5000K

20.6mm x 1.55mm direct thermal path copper base

Is that any help at all?

There doesn't seem to be much electrical data on their web page for that part. There's no forward voltage drop or maximum current. May be worth contacting them to ask for the full datasheet. Daz

looks like they are all designed for handheld flashlights all the drivers they sell are for battery packs and round in shape.
You seem to be hinting of multiple leds? the light output will depend on the current flowing through the led
The led you have linked to uses 6.6w at 1100mA and 18w at 3000mA
Can you elaborate why you have picked this specific led and not one of the others which are available with matching drivers.

Last edited:
I chose this one due to its 5000k output, high lumen and its heat decipitation. This would be used for plant growth. I was wondering whether it's possible to have multiples of these and whether it's even possible to have these wired up to a mains power supply, and if so how would you wire it and what other equipment would you need for it to run. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my first post.

its a bare led, it will need to be powered from a constant current driver.
Something like that, for example -
20W 30W 50W 70W 100W 12V Adjustable Constant Current LED Driver Car Module #D26 | eBay

You will need to find what voltage and what current it needs (why they dont provide this info on the website i dont know).

edit: looks like its a 6V version, you need to feed it 6 volts and and maximum 3 amps...
Cree Products XLamp MTG2 EasyWhite
Sorry your post hadn't loaded when I replied, so say I had multiples of them across a circuit I would need a driver that has enough wattage support for the wattage of one multiplied by however many leds I have?

I chose this one due to its 5000k output, high lumen and its heat decipitation. This would be used for plant growth. I was wondering whether it's possible to have multiples of these and whether it's even possible to have these wired up to a mains power supply, and if so how would you wire it and what other equipment would you need for it to run. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my first post.

Yes, possible to have more than one on one driver. You can do them in series or parallel, just need to make sure the current for each LED does not exceed 3Amp or you will fry them.
The driver in my link is adjustable, both voltage and current. To operate it from mains you need to power it with adequate power supply, something like
230AC-12V DC.
You can also get constant current power supplies running straight off the mains, but they will usually wont be adjustable.

It tells you on the link you gave us:

Noctigon boards run the LEDs much cooler allowing a longer lifespan or higher driving currents. The boards can be soldered to brass, copper or other materials eliminating the typical thermal paste or typical thermal glue which has a very low thermal conductivity

why not get some oil filled electric rads and led light fittings it should be a lot cheaper in the long run, plus you can temperature control it then

you are going to want a constant temperature in there and these led's wont put enough heat out as they will be tiny and the solder would melt before it gave off enough heat with that small footprint

Last edited:
It tells you on the link you gave us:

Noctigon boards run the LEDs much cooler allowing a longer lifespan or higher driving currents. The boards can be soldered to brass, copper or other materials eliminating the typical thermal paste or typical thermal glue which has a very low thermal conductivity
I mean do you just solder wires to it? I know it can be soldered straight onto the heatsink

why not get some oil filled electric rads and led light fittings it should be a lot cheaper in the long run, plus you can temperature control it then

you are going to want a constant temperature in there and these led's wont put enough heat out as they will be tiny and the solder would melt before it gave off enough heat with that small footprint
Temperature wise as long as it can give off the lumens I need it to give off then Im not worried about how hit or cold it gets unless it will melt the solder,but I doubt it will get that hot

Reply to How to wire this LED? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net