Discuss I ALMOST felt sorry for a customer today. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Call comes in at sparrows - trip's gone and no power. So I thinks OK, I can squeeze an hour out of this morning first thing in order to rescue a damsel..... Four hours later [me to Damsel]: Well, it could be the L-N short on your ring, it could be one of your ancient appliances, it could well be a fault hidden in one of the million junction boxes which MUST be under your floor somewhere judging by the wiring behind the sockets and it also needs saying that you've no bonding or earthing in a TT and the last lot of kitchen fitters need shooting. Oh, and by the way your up front RCD is knackered. [Damsel to me, looking sheepish]: Do you take cheques?

God knows how that ring is wired; it tests at the board as a complete ring but there are only about 3 sockets which are double cabled, every single other outlet seems to be JB fed, cooker hood is hard wired so I got caked in grease isolating it, the house is an absolute tip to the point that it wouldn't surprise me if I'd missed an outlet somewhere and even the DNO head needed screwing back to the wall!! "Hmmm", says client, "how much is a rewire these days?" (For you, dear dirty Damsel, the price just went up!)

Sounds like a fine mess some of our local Ex council bugalows have ring in loft then all the points are off JB,s done in the late 80,s.

Sounds like a fine mess some of our local Ex council bugalows have ring in loft then all the points are off JB,s done in the late 80,s.

The spider system! How was that ever thought to be a good method?

Sounds like the usual nightmare, make sure you price accordingly mate, as it's easy to be out of pocket on these types of jobs.

tbh, it'll probably stay like that for another decade, but if they do decide to get it done I think I'll price myself out of that one on purpose! Some Electrical Trainee DI can get some dirt time.

Why not put a slightly higher price in then sub it out, you get a bit of profit for doing not very much

See, that's why YOU earn the BIG bucks and I just hold the broom.

good shout trev would be nice to do that on every job lol im sure there is firms that do
One guy near me does it all the time and he pulls some major work in mate. He offered me some rewires a few years back, all materials supplied ÂŁ350 for labour AND that was for two of us. Politely declined so now I'm on his list of people not to contact.

One guy near me does it all the time and he pulls some major work in mate. He offered me some rewires a few years back, all materials supplied ÂŁ350 for labour AND that was for two of us. Politely declined so now I'm on his list of people not to contact.

I think it would be worth saying yes to this price, arranging to start the job and not turning up just too prove a point to them, rather than having a go at them.

Reply to I ALMOST felt sorry for a customer today. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock