Discuss I could be wrong posting here but i need help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Dear All,

Newbie here, not sure if this forum is for those who specifically electricians only or if general people can join for help and advice, so im taking a shot here, if this is the wrong website then please let me know and ill just copy and paste it there or wherever is appropriate

I need help as im in a dispute with someone who i hired to fit an electrical shower. Me and my family live in a housing association house who were East Homes but now are L&Q. In 2016 i started looking for a trader to help fit this shower for me, through word of mouth i came across someone who was hired by a family friend to do some painting job even though he says hes like an all rounder person. He came to view the house and where we wanted the shower and advised etc He said he would take on the job, i wasnt around home at the time due to university and my mum was when the actual works were being done, he did this around Mid 2016. He charged about £400, no proper contract or receipt given. He also had brought in another electrician to actually certify the work and to make it go live, have a copy of this certificate also. Managed to find out this electrician was with the NIC and Napit but no longer is since 2015

The work wasnt good, the conduit pipings he fitted started to fall off from the walls and tape also, he did this around the front main door and i kept having to fix them, he made some holes which werent correct and never repaired them, he left a breaker box not screwed down properly either, contacted him to try and fix this and he said he would come round but never came, after many calls to him and no answer, i gave up and did my diy of the conduit pipes but not the breaker box.

Fast forward to late 2018, L&Q came for a random inspection and basically saw the work and complained for health and safety and complained about the holes etc and basicaly disconnected the shower, we have been out of the shower since around November of last year. The L&Q electrician came and saw this and then went to the person who i hired, to his house left him a note about his work and there was some words between the two exchanged. The person i hired came round instantly said that his work is immaculate and nothings wrong with it. We said that we he needs to fix what the landlord said and he said he would after christmas, now its 2019 and April is almost ending and still nothing.

He came around in the end of February and said that he will charge more for having the conduits fixed, L&Q said he needed to have put metal brackets which he didnt and some exposed wire and to correct the amp also. He said all this costs extra money, i said surely not because he shouldve known this. He then said to me that all this about metal brackets on conduit pipes has only come in the new regulation of 2019 and when he did the work in 2016 it didnt matter he also gave an example of Grenfell to me. He also said id have to pay another electrician to get this certified

What i need to know is this:

Is he right about the regulation for 2019 where all conduit pipes need to have brackets which are near fire exit routes?

Do i have to pay more? I mean shouldnt have offer something

Where can i go to report him and get this work done because isnt listening to me and is adamant that he will only do more work for more money

I can provide pictures of the job but im not sure if this could be the right website, if this is then let me know please and i will because its been so long to get this sorted out, im busy with university and my mums busy with hospital runs with my sister

Any advice or information will be appreciated

Thanks

Pics are great! Grenfell had nothing to do with introduction of fire clips, this goes way before that. & to my knowledge that fire had bugger all to do with the fixed wiring, it was the fabric & construction method of the building along with an appliance fault (allegedly).
I have a good idea but what is the "amp" issue refered to?
As far as who to complain to, the body the signing off electrician is affiliated with would be they. Given its a notifiable job the ref number & membership number should be on the certificate. Other than trading standards you will no recourse with the handyman. Even they might not take it up.
Give us more info, & pics as already said.

Legally the only Contract was between you and the man who installed the shower. The electrician would be classed as a sub-contractor and so is too remote legally from you to take any action.
In the absence of any form of written Contract there would be an assumed Contract which ultimately could need a Judge to rule on the terms and the liabilities to you, and you really do not want to go there, trust me.
If you try to sue the shower man on the basis that the electrics are not safe then potentially you would have to explain and defend why you allowed a non-competent person to work on your electrical system in breach of the EAWR - and that is not going to help your case.
Probably best to ask the Housing Association to undertake any remedial work or find a professional yourself.

Legally the only Contract was between you and the man who installed the shower. The electrician would be classed as a sub-contractor and so is too remote legally from you to take any action.
In the absence of any form of written Contract there would be an assumed Contract which ultimately could need a Judge to rule on the terms and the liabilities to you, and you really do not want to go there, trust me.
If you try to sue the shower man on the basis that the electrics are not safe then potentially you would have to explain and defend why you allowed a non-competent person to work on your electrical system in breach of the EAWR - and that is not going to help your case.
Probably best to ask the Housing Association to undertake any remedial work or find a professional yourself.
While it is correct to say the only contract would have been between the OP and the Installer, the person who signed the Certification (unless a 3 part EIC was used) would have signed as being responsible for the design, construction and I&T of the work. That person would also have signed to confirm the work complied with the Regulations in force at that time.
It’s not necessary to try to sue the Installer on the grounds that the work is unsafe, just that the work does not comply.

As for the EAWR, there is no reason for the OP to know or even suspect the Installer was or is not competent.

Hi,i'm afraid all bets are off,if you undertook this work without the permission from the landlord.
I would say that you probably need to employ a competent person,and get the installation to a state where the landlord is content.

It sounds from your post,that the landlord is taking a fairly relaxed attitude...this may be because they could demand the work done,is removed or made good,or even do that themselves and charge accordingly.

Not very cheerful,or helpful,i admit,but this is how i see it,at this stage.

You can put up some pics, we like pics.
If he was with the NIC when he did it start the process with them to honour their plateninum promise or however you spell it.

Apologies for my quick writing, the person i hired wasnt with NIC, the subcontractor who certified the job, the electrician basically, was with NIC and Napit but sicne 2015 he has been with no one and my job was done in 2016

Pics are great! Grenfell had nothing to do with introduction of fire clips, this goes way before that. & to my knowledge that fire had bugger all to do with the fixed wiring, it was the fabric & construction method of the building along with an appliance fault (allegedly).
As far as who to complain to, the body the signing off electrician is affiliated with would be they. Given its a notifiable job the ref number & membership number should be on the certificate. Other than trading standards you will no recourse with the handyman. Even they might not take it up.

Im assuming he told me about Grenfell because he said that the only reason that fire started there was because there werent any metal brackets there so thats why the new regulation has been put into place, im not sure how true that is

The "amp" is referred to because the landlord said he has apparently fitted the wrong amp? it was low in power or voltage as i recall, so that has to be addressed

Currently trying to figure a way out to post pics

Also with the certificate, i can upload that also but ive not been able to find much about who the body is for it, ive given the ref numbers to NIC and Napit and im sure one more place that begins with S, theyve not got any information on the subcontractor

If i try this before a judge, would i potentially lose?

What if i was trying to sue the shower man on the basis that the quality and safety of work wasnt adequate enough?

My hosing association have said that because the job was done by shower man, he should fix this issue, they wont get involved because we didnt get it done through them but at the time, they said to us that they wouldnt carry out this job for us, instead we find someone else to do it

Hi,i'm afraid all bets are off,if you undertook this work without the permission from the landlord.
I would say that you probably need to employ a competent person,and get the installation to a state where the landlord is content.

It sounds from your post,that the landlord is taking a fairly relaxed attitude...this may be because they could demand the work done,is removed or made good,or even do that themselves and charge accordingly.

Not very cheerful,or helpful,i admit,but this is how i see it,at this stage.

Technically the landlord did give permission for me to get this from someone else because at the time they said they wouldnt carry this work out themselves, the only problem they have is the quality of the work and the safety of it

I just need any sort of help in knowing what my grounds are, my rights and if i can get him to fix his work or if his work is good and i should pay extra to get it live again

Any sort of regulations or rules i can say to him that might make him realise i know things would help please

Reply to I could be wrong posting here but i need help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock