Discuss I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Whatever I learn I'll post here, with pictures for the plumbers ;)
Seriously, It's isn't just the money that is effectively stolen; it means a decent, honest plumber, sparks, plasterer et-cetra is disadvantaged like it's not hard enough to make a living.

Whatever I learn I'll post here, with pictures for the plumbers ;)
Seriously, It's isn't just the money that is effectively stolen; it means a decent, honest plumber, sparks, plasterer et-cetra is disadvantaged like it's not hard enough to make a living.
Shame I can’t award three different emojis @Marti...the plumber comment killed me :tearsofjoy: .....I completely agree with and like ya post good luck mate

Unravelling the layers of limited company and who's a director will probably cost more
It doesn't have to cost anything if you do some basic research yourself.
Go to Companies House service - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/, input either a company name or the name of anyone that might be a director

You will get a list of similar names so might need to dig around to find the right one, but look for things like the registered office (on the overview tab), or directors names (on the people tab).

On the Filing tab, look for confirmation statement/annual returns - the latest one that says "confirmation statement with updates" will tell you who owns or controls the company.

If the Confirmation statement says that the company is controlled by another company, repeat the search for the controlling company, repeat until you find a real person's name.

On the Accounts tab, the latest financial statements will also confirm the directors and may have worthwhile financial information (though this is increasingly rare these days due to the thresholds being quite high).

Also look out for big debts against the company on the Charges tab.
All for free.

Tuesday is the next deadline. Heard nothing yet so I'll prepare to do battle in-front of the officials and see what happens. Printed a tree-and-a-half in support of my argument but this is new to me and, probably, familiar to my opposition. Father Christmas won't think he's been a good boy!

Tuesday is the next deadline. Heard nothing yet so I'll prepare to do battle in-front of the officials and see what happens. Printed a tree-and-a-half in support of my argument but this is new to me and, probably, familiar to my opposition. Father Christmas won't think he's been a good boy!
Good luck @Marti keep us posted!?

A classic - thanks Pete :)
As expected, my claim has been challenged. Won't say too much in open forum but I am up against a practised debtor / bankrupt so taking nothing for granted and seeking advice on how to present myself / my case. Solicitor is an expensive option. I will bullet point everything learnt for others to use ....once I've done me learnin' (ouch)

This has not been resolved and I expect to face the debtor in court in later this year. Even so, this is where I've changed the way I work. Just a couple of pointers that might help others.
1) Start every single interaction with a client on the basis that you might end up in dispute. No texts, use email, WhatsApp or even a paper and pen (camera-copied)
2) Confirm any changes using the above.
3) Very few of us like conversations about money. Practise it and get the "how much and when" communication up front.
4) Photographs before and after will help your memory and add weight to your case in the event of a dispute. This has saved me from progressing to dispute more-than-once.

I'm confident I'm presenting a good, honest and well-recorded case for payment and compensation. I am also adopting the approach of "even if I lose I'll be wiser next time" so will certainly progress this to court.

This has not been resolved and I expect to face the debtor in court in later this year. Even so, this is where I've changed the way I work. Just a couple of pointers that might help others.
1) Start every single interaction with a client on the basis that you might end up in dispute. No texts, use email, WhatsApp or even a paper and pen (camera-copied)
2) Confirm any changes using the above.
3) Very few of us like conversations about money. Practise it and get the "how much and when" communication up front.
4) Photographs before and after will help your memory and add weight to your case in the event of a dispute. This has saved me from progressing to dispute more-than-once.

I'm confident I'm presenting a good, honest and well-recorded case for payment and compensation. I am also adopting the approach of "even if I lose I'll be wiser next time" so will certainly progress this to court.
So....
That was written in January 2020. Such halcyon days; pre-covid awareness. When I looked for advice on the Small Claims Court there was very little and even the legal profession didn't want to know. I spoke to a local office and they gave me 30 minutes free advice. Everything else is my records and my wife's diligence. I thought I add a few words here in the hope it help someone in the future.

The end result...I won the full claim with costs and, somewhat to my surprise, the debtor paid. That a practiced bankrupt paid rather than hide behind "no assets-LTD" was a shock. In terms of stress and lost hours, the whole process is hell with most of the stress being caused, not by the opposition but but the court system and inconceivable levels of both under investment and general incompetence.

As I said above, keep good records and photograph everything. Keep your written argument short, accurate unemotional and to the point. Don't be tempted to add, exaggerate and let your written submission talk for you on the court day.

Oh, and if anyone tells you SCC is easy so just "get 'em in court"! Ignore them; odds are that they haven't actually ever progressed one to court as a small business / ST. I've found a good few of those.

Well done!

Slightly different story .But I know a lady who rents out a flat in Cornwall . Its her only income. She has not received rent for 16 months . And is in fear of the courts etc if she throws the guy out etc. In The papers last week a guy had the same issues but after 5 months threw the tenant out . Was taken to court and fined very very little . Far cheaper than doing it the legal way !! I think some of these None payers really think people will give up the idea of legal action and wont take "Civil" ? action against them .

Oh, and if anyone tells you SCC is easy so just "get 'em in court"! Ignore them; odds are that they haven't actually ever progressed one to court as a small business / ST.
Glad to hear your case is resolved. From experience taking a case to court is a complete lottery. Would highly recommend avoiding it if at all possible. The solution I recommend is by insisting (via contract) of money in ADVANCE throughout the contract. If a customer has an issue with this (I only experienced one in the last 10 years) I simply walk away.
I do a 50% deposit, 20% after first fix, 20% after second fix and final 10% on handover of cert. Works a treat.

Or do as all sub-contractors under the JCT contracts with main contractors, apply for payment against a valuation at the end of each month/week whatever you have agreed, not unusual to have a seven day payment terms.

Try asking for deposits or stage payments and some people look at you as if we are mad . Social media is full of "let the trade fund the job 100% " and many believe this to be gospel

Try asking for deposits or stage payments and some people look at you as if we are mad . Social media is full of "let the trade fund the job 100% " and many believe this to be gospel
Send the Boys around for a stiff talking to.

Glad you got things sorted @Marti...I’m just about to take AO.com to small claims for non payment ?

Yes, there seem to be new options now that I was not aware of. Anyway thank you to everyone who has replied. Would anyone like to know the outcome of the route I take and results ?. As it could help others.
How was your outcome Sham?

Didn’t want to start another new thread but my situation is finished a large house rewire apart from an unfinished bathroom and was in process of testing on Friday. Over the weekend the customer checked the “Register of qualified “ electricians and couldn’t find my name so refusing to pay final payments and I’m getting a bill for a qualified electrician to sign off. Job is satisfactory. I’m an approved gold card spark with all possible other cards and 20 years in the industry so will be quite surprised if any anything is found bar no blanks in the consumer unit.(supplied by customer)

Have I got the gist that I should send him an itemised invoice. Which I have. In 3 days send a final demand then apply on line to small claims court 28 days later?

He’s also going to report me to trading standards as I’m not an electrician apparantly. As I’ve said there is nothing in the job that could have worried him and no prior dialogue of any concerns. Sent me a message on Thursday saying what a great job I had done

Reply to I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock