Discuss I need a professional opinion on a recent rewire please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looking at the consumer unit, personally I would have put the upstairs sockets and upstairs lights on different rcds. (Same with ground floor)

That way, if an RCD trips, your not left without any lights in one room… between ceiling lights and plug in lamps.

unless your bedrooms are on the ground floor and living room upstairs

Was there any mention by the electricians of an SPD?
Hi, thanks for your reply. nothing they have done is right!
No there was no mention of an SPD

Totally disagree With the cheaper then it’s going to be dog rough.
Hi, could I just ask, is the contactum board a cheap board? He had just replaced my good wylex one with the contactum one, said they were better. Also just to say I actually paid this person £3300 and my house is only a very small 2 bedroom!

Oh no sorry, the £3300 was for a rewire
rhat's an average figure for a 3 bed house without filling chases.. about right if nobfrills like cat5 everwhere, holding up the walls.nothing wrong with Contactum boards. middle of the range. good value for the price.

It doesn't look great from the photos. The lack of CPC on the metal faceplates is the most concerning, as for the cables being twisted this isn't a concern too me. I would ask you contractor if this is his usual standard of work and explain why you are concerned to them. If he can not make the situation right and find a compromise contact Napit and explain the situation to them.
There is a big gap difference between a bad and dangerous installation and 'not how I would do it'. Its also easy to start looking for problems in other peoples work. there is usually a fair point to why things are done certain ways that is not immediately obvious and on the surface just look rough or lazy.

Be honest and direct with the contractor and approach the conversation with an open mind and hopefully you will get this resolved.

Mine's only a very small 2 bed house. Thanks for posting
How long did it take them?

I just priced up my house for materials and with all the downlights etc it was coming out at nearly £750 for a small 3 bed semi, and that was with the cheapest faceplates, no electric hob, boiler feed being left alone, no outside lighting/sockets, etc.

Imo £3k for a rewire isn't expensive. By the time the people doing it have accounted for fuel, tool wear, van mileage and wear, uniform, lunch, tax etc it's about right. It does depend on exactly what they did and what they fitted though.

My mate who is a gas engineer charges £1k in Essex to replace a boiler like for like and it takes him about 8 hours all in including his travel/going for parts etc. Rewiring is a lot bigger of a ballache of a job.

To be honest, in my view there very well could be safety issues with this installation, when a "Qualified" Electrician does not bother to earth Metal Faceplates-they clearly Do Not have a understanding of `Regulations and the associated risk of not Earthing the Faceplate. The shoddy termination work (Copper Showing from back of terminals) Just Further Adds to these doubts. Im sorry, but i have to be honest.

Hi, could I just ask, is the contactum board a cheap board? He had just replaced my good wylex one with the contactum one, said they were better. Also just to say I actually paid this person £3300 and my house is only a very small 2 bedroom!
Absolutely nothing wrong with contactum. It meets current regs and the boards I’ve seen out there look and feel pretty good. Never fitted one myself, but from the responses on this thread and what I’ve seen I would have no problem fitting one.

Absolutely nothing wrong with contactum. It meets current regs and the boards I’ve seen out there look and feel pretty good. Never fitted one myself, but from the responses on this thread and what I’ve seen I would have no problem fitting one.

Dual RCD Contactum board in my house and can't fault it. As mentioned before, colour coded toggles make finding circuits a bit easier when labelling is hand written and not easy to read at first glance.

Dual RCD Contactum board in my house and can't fault it. As mentioned before, colour coded toggles make finding circuits a bit easier when labelling is hand written and not easy to read at first glance.
serves you right for having the circuits labelled in gaelic.

Reply to I need a professional opinion on a recent rewire please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net