• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Identify +KEY Key-on power in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hdp160

-
Reaction score
Hi I posted this question yesterday but it appears to have disappeared.
I'm trying to find +KEY in a 15 way Tyco auto connector. Unfortunately the circuit diagram cable colours do not match those in the connector. Also the pin number for +KEY shown is not correct.
I know that there are several CAN bus cables in this connector as well.
My question is can I probe this auto electrical connector with a high impedance multimeter to find the 12v +KEY (with the Ignition key in accessories position)?
If I can and if I find more than one +12v I'm thinking of removing the 7.5amp +KEY fuse in the glove box to confirm which it is.
Is thus the correct approach?
I'm really nervous with anything to do with the CAN bus and thought it's best to ask first.
Thanks in anticipation.
Nick.

You won't damage anything electrically by probing the pins with a voltmeter, using chassis as ground. If it's a socket the main risk is damaging the connector by pushing wide probes into the contacts, use a bit of thin wire or a pin intended for the connector.

You won't damage anything electrically by probing the pins with a voltmeter, using chassis as ground. If it's a socket the main risk is damaging the connector by pushing wide probes into the contacts, use a bit of thin wire or a pin intended for the connector.

Thank you for the advice, I really worked myself up when I found the diagram didn't mach reality.
The more I tried to work out the pins the more confused I got.
Out of interest when I come across the CAN pins I expect I'll get +/- lower voltages.

CAN is nominally 2.5V switching to between 1.5 and 3.5V for data activity. Other signals may be at 12V which could be confusing if you're looking for a supply.

According to the circuit diagram there is a 7.5 amp fuse in the dashboard fuse box specific to the +KEY wiring..
So I guess removing and replacing it I'll be able to distinguish the +KEY in the connector socket from other 12v supplies.
Again thanks for the advice it's really appreciated.

Reply to Identify +KEY Key-on power in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back