Discuss IEE 18th, 701.415.2 p241 - sup bonding bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi

Old time 15th Ed. working way through 18th in prep for 18th test, also been a while since i wired in anger so to speak :).

701.415.2 states that i can omit supplementary bonding in my bathroom so long as i have a protective equipotential bond compliant to 411.3.1.2 and finals in the location and running through are protected by RCD and all finals in location are compliant with 411.3.2 and that all extraneous conductive parts in the area are 'effectively' connected to protective equipotential bonding according to reg 411.3.1.2 and that effectiveness is assessed based on the 415.2.2 calc.

It is a TN-C-S supply, I have RCBOs throughout, and old bond on my cold water coming in on my side of the water, even though it is plastic pipe into the building. There are older cross bonds in the airing cupboard, main bond on my gas (again plastic coming in) and even another bond at my boiler.

I know i have plastic pipes feeding my large centrally heated towel rail in the bathroom as they were recently changed. When i measured the resistance between the rad and that of a local CPC, it was about 140KOhm, well above 1,666 Ohms as per the calc.

Questions:

Is my non-electrically connected (it has no separate 230Vac heating element) towel rail radiator classed as an extraneous conductive part?

If it is, then does this mean that technically i should provide a bond between it and the CPC of the local LV circuits?

If answers are Yes and Yes, why please?

Thanks

John

It would be extraneous, but whether it could introduce a potential is another matter.
From what you say, the resistance is such that it would not be likely to introduce a potential, so does not require bonding.

If you bond that, you'll be the first person in the country to do so since the infamous 16th was resigned to ignominy of poor taste. :)

Extraneous-conductive-part. A conductive part liable to introduce a potential, generally Earth potential, and not forming part of the electrical installation.

Definition of Extraneous:
1) irrelevant or unrelated to the subject being dealt with.
2) of external origin.
3) not directly connected with or related to something

Where doubt exists about an extraneous conductive part

There may be doubt if an item of metalwork within an electrical installation is an extraneous-conductive-part. For example, it may be suspected that plastic pipework has been installed somewhere along the run of metal pipework. Where there is such doubt, a test instrument can be used in conjunction with the following formula:

Rx ≥ U0
Ilimit – Rb
Where,
Rx = the resistance between the metallic part in question and the MET;
U0 = the nominal voltage line to Earth;
Rb = the resistance of the human body;
Ilimit = the value of current through the
body which must not be exceeded.

The following values are given in British Standard Published Document PD 6519, IEC 60479, Guide to effects of current on human beings and livestock:

U0 = 230V;
Rb = 1,000 ohms (for hand-to-hand
contact in dry conditions);
Ilimit = 0.01A (the let-go threshold).

These values give the following maximum
value for Rx:

Rx ≥ 230
0.01 – 1,000
≥ 23,000 – 1,000 ohms
≥ 22,000 ohms

A reading below 22,000 ohms will mean the metallic item is an extraneous-conductive-part which does require bonding.

Full article can be read in Professional Electrician and Installer. Search for “Effectively Connected Extraneous Metalwork”.

More than 22000 ohms = not extraneous.

I'd just say, if someone installed a cast iron roll top bath, fed by plastic pipes in the middle of a plastic laminated floor bathroom, would you feel inclined to test to see if it was extraneous? Not withstanding its feet might need 'podged'. :D

That takes account of the resistance of the body of an average, healthy, adult male (1kohm).
The NICEIC use a formula that brings the figure down even more, to 7.67 kohms if all circuits are RCD protected and using 30mA.
When you also account for the body’s resistance, you get 6.66 kohms.

There are also those videos by John Ward & Christopher Kitcher, and in Guidance Notes 8 earthing & bonding (I think), which gives guidance on this subject (minimum resistance for electric shock etc). Can't say the page number, haven't my copy to hand.

Thanks for all the responses. Glad to see some science behind it too.

So. According to one document by calculation when using RCDs if greater than 6.66Kohms (Damien's telephone number) it is not classed as an extraneous part. If not using RCDs if greater than 22KOhms not classed as an extraneous part.

So for my scenario (using RCBOs) if the value was between 1,660Ohms and 6,666Ohms i would have to supply a bond to bring it back down to an acceptable resistance (below 1,660Ohms).

@spinlondon Do you have any reference for the NIC doc, i would like to make some notes in my regs book.

Thank you.

John

Reply to IEE 18th, 701.415.2 p241 - sup bonding bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock