Discuss I'm a little confused about NVQ's in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mikeyp78

Hi all,

To give you a bit of background; I retrained as an electrician and completed my 2330 Level 3 in June 2012 and took my 17th edition straight after. At the time we couldn't get a straight answer from the college as to the path to approved electrician status! We mentioned the NVQ level 3 but was told that you didn't really need it and would only apply to those going to work for a JIB registered firm. This didn't make much sense to me as the NVQ shows your competency.

Anyway in January 2014 I secured a job with a control and automation company working in the water industry. My initial role was assistant electrical technician (basically a mate) and only required the qualifications that I already had with a view to starting my NVQ fairly soon, this didn't happen. Early this year I was promoted to technician due to the fact that after the first six months I was working unsupervised and quickly learnt the role and got up to speed. The primary contract that was underway when I started was upgrading existing pumping station telemetry PLC's, however our work has now moved into the upgrading of pumping stations and replacing the pump control panels and associated circuits.

Today my manager called me with a view to making me an AP under the NICEIC but due to me not having my NVQ level 3 this is not possible. At the moment its not totally necessary to complete the NVQ but I should really pull my finger out as my current work is giving me a brilliant cross section of experience.

From what I have seen I will need to initially complete a bridging module to bring my 2330 up to the current 2356 (I may have the course code wrong but I know my electrical installation course was superseded) before I can commence the NVQ portfolio, then I will need to complete the AM2.

So basically have I got this path of events correct? Is there more than one type of NVQ because I seem to ind course that are domestically biased and don't hold much relevance to my industry, and can anyone recommend a provider, maybe one thats close to my location in Hertfordshire?

Sorry for the long winded approach but hopefully that overs all the details.

Mike

Hi Mikey, im not 100% certain on this, but I wasn't aware a bridging course was required. If you have the levels 2+3 that should be adequate.
As for the nvq, I'm certain that xs training have some (problably few) places left for the 2356 nvq level 3 (installations). Now with the 2356, an AM2 isn't required. Maybe you could get away with having the installations version if equip is being upgraded, you only need 3 jobs to complete. If not they have the maintenance version but I'm not clued up on weather an AM2 is required or not.
Hope this helps.
As Paul says check out that link. Its a good idea to get a jib card.
Once you have got your head around it you might want to get some testing and inspection qualifications, these are the city&guilds 2394 + 2395. These two are the new version of the 2391 testing+inspection. Whoever holds 2391 does not need to retake the 2394/5 which is what makes me think you do not need a bridging course. I myself have 2330 and have never been told it needs upgrading likewise some of the older sparks have what's called part1 & part2 (that's all there was back then, non of all this swapping and changing numbers bollox) and they don't require upgrading. If anything your 2382 (17th ed cert) will require upgrading when the 18th comes out. (Well it doesn't really, its more for employers piece of mind that your up to standards etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Paul, I followed your link and check out a couple of providers. I had looked at the mature candidate route but they are asking for a minimum of five years experience which I fall short on, but another provider offers the rout that I thought I should take and makes it very clear what I require. So that confirms what I thought, cheers for the pointer.

Hi Mikey, im not 100% certain on this, but I wasn't aware a bridging course was required. If you have the levels 2+3 that should be adequate.
As for the nvq, I'm certain that xs training have some (problably few) places left for the 2356 nvq level 3 (installations). Now with the 2356, an AM2 isn't required. Maybe you could get away with having the installations version if equip is being upgraded, you only need 3 jobs to complete. If not they have the maintenance version but I'm not clued up on weather an AM2 is required or not.
Hope this helps.
As Paul says check out that link. Its a good idea to get a jib card.
Once you have got your head around it you might want to get some testing and inspection qualifications, these are the city&guilds 2394 + 2395. These two are the new version of the 2391 testing+inspection. Whoever holds 2391 does not need to retake the 2394/5 which is what makes me think you do not need a bridging course. I myself have 2330 and have never been told it needs upgrading likewise some of the older sparks have what's called part1 & part2 (that's all there was back then, non of all this swapping and changing numbers bollox) and they don't require upgrading. If anything your 2382 (17th ed cert) will require upgrading when the 18th comes out. (Well it doesn't really, its more for employers piece of mind that your up to standards etc)
amc if the level2+3 course you did was the 2330 you need the bridging unit because the new 2357 has an enviromental unit and you dont cover enviromental in 2330 (pv,solar,ground source etc)

Reply to I'm a little confused about NVQ's in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net