Discuss Inspection and Testing - EAL or City & Guilds? - Professional Development in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

joshlobb43

Good Afternoon Sparks,

I am currently a maintenance electrician however I have experience in domestic, commercial and industrial installs. I am looking at completing the inspection and testing 2394 + 2395 in the next month or so as my partners job is taking us to London. So in an effort to help me find work I am paying for my self to do 17th edition, inspection and testing and will be applying for my ECS card.

I have NVQ level 3 in electrical maintenance and BTEC level 3 in electrical/electronic engineering.

My queries to all you helpful chaps is this:

- Will I be restricted to finding work since my ECS card will say electrical maintenance on the front?

- I have a choice to do the EAL inspection and testing or the C&G version. I am told the C&G version is harder. Once completed I understand that you then send off your certification to prove that you have completed 2394 + 2395.

Has anybody done the EAL version?
Does it state EAL on your ECS card?
Is the EAL version looked upon as less favourable?

I am not looking to take short-cuts I would just like to know what is best in the long run before I invest time and money.

Any advice from people who have been through the transition I am currently going through would be helpful.

It is much appreciated if you have taken the time to read this and any advice I can be given I will be extremely grateful for.

I had a look through the threads and couldn't see a topic on this. Sorry if it is duplicated.

Josh!

EAL - on line multi choice open book exams only
C&G - on line multi choice and full written exams, all closed book.
Both courses include practical assessments.

Which do you think an employer would be looking for and view as the more worthy qualification ?

I think the EAL is recognised by the ECS scheme but you should ring them to check this.

Thanks for your response.

If it doesn't show on the ECS card then how would they know? All I am thinking is if there is less pressure on the written exam this would leave more time for practical and classroom theory.

Maybe I am just over thinking.

Do you know if the ECS card shows the awarding body?

Josh

I have taken the EAL qualification and it is probably easier than C&G
As I don't have an ECS card I can't answer that part.
However easy people say it is, a lot of the questions don't have answers in GN3.
Cheers
B

Thanks for your response. So am I correct in saying GN3 is the literature you are allowed in the open book exam for EAL?

Josh

Indeed, and you get 90 minutes to answer 55 questions.
That is for each part. Also there are practical exams too.
B

I think C&G is the way to go. So will I be revising from GN3 to help me pass the the C&G 2394 + 2395?

As has been said, but I repeat just to emphasise, the BS, On Site Guide (watch though, it's riddled with errors) and GN3. Re GN3, read, read and read again, till you are dreaming it! Oh, small but important point with C&G exams, make sure you use word perfect terminology e.g. Insulation resistance tester, not Megger.

Our crowd won't even interview applicants with the EAL quals.

I can confirm (comparing my gold card to a friends) that the EAL and C+G 2394 and 2395 are marked exactly the same on the JIB/ECS card so you can't tell which spark has which.

Eal or city and guilds it's still the same qualification whether you do the 17th edition with earl or city and guilds it's the same exam can't see the difference all my qualms are city and guilds but I done my 17th edition with eal. Same exam

I did the C&G 2394. I was the only one in the class doing this - everyone else was doing the EAL route. They finished on the Friday, took the multi-choice exam, then did the assessment. Because mine was C&G I also had to go back to do the closed-book 2 hour written exam. So from my point of view, I feel better knowing I did the 'harder' C&G route, but in reality will anyone ever ask or even care? - No, probably not. :) Daz

I did the C&G 2394. I was the only one in the class doing this - everyone else was doing the EAL route. They finished on the Friday, took the multi-choice exam, then did the assessment. Because mine was C&G I also had to go back to do the closed-book 2 hour written exam. So from my point of view, I feel better knowing I did the 'harder' C&G route, but in reality will anyone ever ask or even care? - No, probably not. :) Daz

Lets hope they do!

Reply to Inspection and Testing - EAL or City & Guilds? - Professional Development in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock