Discuss Install downlights - No CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have been asked to give a quote to install some downlights in a kitchen, but there is no cpc in the light circuit. I appreciate the response by some is the world would end if I did that, but the circuit is RCD protected and the last IR readings on the ciruit were good when the board was changed a few years back.

I am debating whether to do the job, because I would use intergrated downlights not requiring a CPC, and I would check the IR again to ensure it's still healthy before proceeding.

Any thoughts welcome.

I would not. Guidance and regs say cpc should be taken to each point on the circuit.

You take on board the installation by altering or adding. If the present owner moves, and the new owner installs Class 1 fittings to your cpc, that wouldn’t be good.

Your not doing anyone any favours, it’s work, not a charity. Install a new supply, with cpc or decline the work, IMO.

Thanks guys, I know you are technically right and I'm not at all desperate for the work, but I don't believe it's making anything any less safe, and in fact by me doing it, it's going to made safer than Fred down the pub hacking it for some cash.

I get the point about taking an earth from a socket above, but even that isn't deemed acceptable, even if the consumer unit clearly highlights it. So I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea despite the downlights I would install not requiring a cpc. The consumer unit already clearly indicates the absence of cpcs in the light circuits.

Hi @peterhyper .
3 knowledgeable people have said it's not a good idea.
I'm Industrial, not Domestic but I wouldn't do it either.
As @telectrix says, replace cable or add 4mm earth.

Interesting discussion, I have thought about this a few times. It's hard for me to see the value in rewiring a circuit just to bring a cpc to lighting that doesn't use it, other than to tick the reg box. IMO, if wired in 2 core (so there can be no doubt the CPC is absent), I think this would be an acceptable departure.

That said, the wiring has to be 50 years(?) old now, getting on a bit.

Replacing lights or socket faceplates etc, no cert required

I have always understood that each circuit must have it's own cpc and you can't use/share one from another circuit.

I am going to suggest to the customer that I will only do it if I come off a socket in the room above into an FCU and then connect a quintec receiver to the downlights, and replace the light switch with a quintec one. That way she can have any downlights she wants requiring a cpc, and her lovely kitchen will still look lovely with no disruption to it.
[automerge]1573829075[/automerge]
Wold you class your new wiring as fixed wiring, e.g. not flexible cable like supplying a table lamp?

The wiring would definitely be fixed regardless of whether I use twin/earth or flexible cable.

Last edited:
[automerge]1573829075[/automerge]

The wiring would definitely be fixed regardless of whether I use twin/earth or flexible cable.

I was trying to make the point, the wiring is not temporary, and forms part of the infrastructure of the property. So anyone who comes along at a later date, would expect it to have been installed correctly, and to then regulations.

Reg 412.2.3.2 (BYB) Except where 412.1.3 applies (effective supervision), a circuit supplying one or more items of Class II equipment shall have a cpc run to & terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory. There is a note there as well, about replacement of Class II to Class I accessories.

I wouldn't do it as I don't do non compliant work. There's plenty already that have cornered that niche. I would fully advise the customer of the safety and compliance aspects and quote to do the job properly. Not my problem if they choose another way forward.

I have never understood the "Ill bodge it cos I'll do a safe bodge whereas a handyman might do a dangerous bodge" argument.
People accept bodge jobs because people offer to do them, it's that simple. If enough professional tradesmen stand up for things being done the right way then customers would get the message.

I have worked on plenty of installations with no cpc and managed a compliant job. I usually separate the room to be worked on and create a new circuit for my alterations, wiring back to the board. My work is then nothing to do with the existing installation.

I then add the customer to the list that are going to get back to me when they are ready to have their rewire work done. The list is growing, but that's not my issue.

I can see where your coming from,it’s an existing circuit,no cpc,class 2 fittings,in my eyes it’s ok.
Pretty obvious,cpc’s are required in new cabling.

I can almost see the point about making it safer when people replace a CU without rewiring these lighting circuits, but I cannot see any justification for extending or otherwise altering an existing circuit without rewiring.
Obvious exceptions to this would be emergency repairs or removing parts of the circuit if it is being rewired room by room

Any way of setting a poll on this? We seem pretty split, it's not a new circuit nor is it an alteration to the wiring it's just replacement fittings aka maintenance and suitable ones can be fitted?
We don't know this. The op has said they have been asked to install some downlights. No mention of existing downlights so we must assume a circuit alteration.

Reply to Install downlights - No CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock