Discuss Installing outdoor garden lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

After some advise.

I have recently built a retaining wall with steps out of concrete blocks laid flat. Around 700mm tall
The wall will hold back around 500mm or so of ground, leaving a nice 180mm ish of wall above ground level.

My plan is to install lights ( brick lights I assume ) in the wall, trying to hide connections while also being able to maintain them if the lights were to break or cables to fault, and it all be waterproof?

I am hoping with a finished result of lights in both sides of the wall ,but, at different levels, and some lights for the steps .
What would be the best way to go about this ?

All suggestions welcome regard all aspects of the installation ( lights, cable to be used, waterproofing etc)

I will prove some pics ASAP

Thanks all

For brick lights "in the wall", you normally leave a brick-sized hole when building the wall. It is a lot harder to cut the holes after the wall has been build (only ever done that once, never again).

So if the wall is already built, perhaps consider surface mounted fittings instead.

For brick lights "in the wall", you normally leave a brick-sized hole when building the wall. It is a lot harder to cut the holes after the wall has been build (only ever done that once, never again).

So if the wall is already build, perhaps consider surface mounted fittings instead.
Yes I did realise this about half way through building the wall, may opt for round recessed lights as they'll be easier to install

If it was me, I'd avoid wiring and fittings operating at mains voltage. Go for 12 or 24V instead. Personally - so you can safely ignore - I don't think wiring in gardens and garden structures stands the test of time.

And if you do want lighting, you want an electrician to do the work because he knows about IP, shock risks and the good brands which live up to their spec. If you do the wiring you are liable in law for it.

Last edited:

Reply to Installing outdoor garden lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock