Discuss Installing RCBO-Surge Protector inside Meter Cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, need your advise please as need to take supply for Electric car charger from the meter cupboard.
This meter cupboard has an isolator and already has Henley blocks from which supply can be drawn to feed the RCBO-SPD device.
I have made a mock up of the intention in the image below (RCBO-SPD & DIN rail).
If we assume there are no DNO issues with placing the RCBO-SPD device inside the meter cupboard, is it okay to do this (or) should this have an enclosure within which the RCBO-SPD device should be placed. Thanks.
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 13.38.59.png

A device with exposed terminals is not advisable in a meter cupboard. The homeowner may open the cabinet to check meter readings. Needs to be in an enclosure really.

I know somebody will say the meter cupboard needs a tool to open it, but that's stretching things a bit.

I just typed this so will post it anyway
As a general point you can't just use a DIN rail and devices as you are leaving live parts accessible. Everything in a meter box is generally treated as though it can be left open and ordinary people will be going in there to read meter or even turn off the whole lot.

Looks like the inner cores of the SWA disappearing through the side of the box just sitting there. How is the SWA terminated?
If this isn’t a locked enclosure, the reasoning being a normal person can open it to read the meter, then those cores would need covered.

The black could do with some green yellow on it.

Looks like the inner cores of the SWA disappearing through the side of the box just sitting there. How is the SWA terminated?
If this isn’t a locked enclosure, the reasoning being a normal person can open it to read the meter, then those cores would need covered.

The black could do with some green yellow on it.
SWA going into the wall and comes out on the other end to the main consumer unit located inside the house.
Good point on the black, will get that dressed with some green-yellow tape. thx

This would be in an enclosure I presume? If so then I would be fine fitting it there. If you intend on mounting it directly on din rail and leaving the terminals exposed, I’d say that’s a no no.

More specifically about the SWA - how is the armour earthed?

It really should go in to some metal box where a proper gland terminates the armour and allows that to be linked to the main earth.

Already mentioned above is the exposed primary insulation of the SWA cores, at the very least they should be sleeved.

I would get rid of the henley's and the isolator and fit a fused connection unit with the swa glanded in properly.

It was destined to be a mess from the start, it looks like they took a hammer to the cabinet rather than a hole cutter.

I would get rid of the henley's and the isolator and fit a fused connection unit with the swa glanded in properly.
It was destined to be a mess from the start, it looks like they took a hammer to the cabinet rather than a hole cutter.
Looks like they couldn't decide which side of the cabinet to use for entry.

I think the guy has got the message that it's left wanting in several ways.
It would be good if we didn't scare him away.
I'm curious about the circumstances, he may have bitten off too much or he may have been thrown into the deep end without enough help. It's good he's got onto the trainee forum now.

Thanks guys, I'm still here - this is the handy work of Bellway developers who built this in 2019. It's been like that since then, no EV charger was provided by Bellway
So if current setup is no good then not sure how it all got inspected and signed off by them.....will post a fuller picture shortly so you can all see the full setup and feedback.
Thanks, really appreciate the comments, helps me understand and gives me pointers to set things right for the long run.

Reply to Installing RCBO-Surge Protector inside Meter Cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net