Discuss Insulation resistance test on length of SWA cable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks, Pete and Tel There are other parts of the forum its like you have both hijacked the post to talk about something else some people are trying to give a constructive reason. I am all for having a bit of banter but every time I post a thread up on the forum it gets deliberately taken off topic or daft photos.
but the OP question has already been answered, so .......

Thanks, Pete and Tel There are other parts of the forum its like you have both hijacked the post to talk about something else some people are trying to give a constructive reason. I am all for having a bit of banter but every time I post a thread up on the forum it gets deliberately taken off topic or daft photos.
Not true Ant I gave you a perfectly good test procedure, and I don't think anyone has high jacked your post. Least of all me and all the others, just a bit of fun on a Sat morning.

Last edited:
I knew Anthony would SHOUT at some point - that was true Hijacking!
I agree with Pete and complete disconnection for true reading otherwise you’ll be wasting precious time.
It was only a quick test and did R1 + R2 could not work out why but my gut feeling is the PME and metering. I hope we don't have to fit a lot of these PITA as you have to wire everything for the metering and that even by Schneiders own Tech dept.

somebody mentioned viga. that was good enough. if they's have said "------" then that would have taken the thread in a totally new erection direction.

So what was the reason Tel?

It's gotta be worth just disconnecting the conductors to prove it and carrying out an IR on the cable only.

If the cable tests clear, then for your own interest, IR test the equipment you have disconnected l&n to earth at 250v test voltage. That way you won't damaging anything and you will find out what is giving you that reading.

So what was the reason Tel?

As Pete said, It's gotta be worth just disconnecting the conductors to prove it and carrying out an IR on the cable only.

If the cable tests clear, then for your own interest, IR test the equipment you have disconnected l&n to earth at 250v test voltage. That way you won't damaging anything and you will find out what is giving you that reading.

My initial thoughts were to disconnect but being that we were in a school it was difficult to leave doors unlocked while I got a wrench.
Does anyone have any experience with these Schneider MCCB boards you install the MCCB and tighten it and the head snaps off can you get these MCCB's out again and reinstall?

My initial thoughts were to disconnect but being that we were in a school it was difficult to leave doors unlocked while I got a wrench.
Does anyone have any experience with these Schneider MCCB boards you install the MCCB and tighten it and the head snaps off can you get these MCCB's out again and reinstall?

Yes, you can redo them. They set correct torque when they snap off the first time. Same as the old MCCB's in Merlin Gerin Panel Boards. You need a 17mm metric socket to undo it, and a torque wrench when you do it back up. What size MCCB is it?

Ive seen similar on a new install on a treatment works. Turned out that a thin piece of masking type tape had been put across the top of the isolator (to avoid anything dropping in I suppose) which hadn't been removed when cable was installed. It tracked just enough to give a less than satisfactory IR reading but not enough for dead short.

Ive seen similar on a new install on a treatment works. Turned out that a thin piece of masking type tape had been put across the top of the isolator (to avoid anything dropping in I suppose) which hadn't been removed when cable was installed. It tracked just enough to give a less than satisfactory IR reading but not enough for dead short.
Had it been energized previously or were you doing the initial test? If you were, as you obviously know, that shows up a good reason for initial testing ......if not, someone slipped up badly, as you also know. It's a bit rough, though...…...or rouge, as one well known poster might say.;)

Had it been energized previously or were you doing the initial test? If you were, as you obviously know, that shows up a good reason for initial testing ......if not, someone slipped up badly, as you also know.

Initial testing stage, far from being energised at that point. As you say though, highlights why the tests are so important

Reply to Insulation resistance test on length of SWA cable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock