Discuss Insurance, specifically professional indemnity in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sevuk

-
Reaction score
I'm insured with Direct Line for Public Liability, they don't treat church steeples as a hazardous location which is useful to me. However their professional indemnity insurance doesn't appear to cover doing any electrical installation condition reporting, which is part of what I do. Any recommendations on companies that will give me proper cover that fully understand what electricians do?

simply business are one. tower insurance another. also check if you are covered for 3 phase. some policies exclude it.

if you are niceic or one of the other wallet snatchers, check if their cover is competitive.

I feel looking through the small print of a lot of providers they seem to want to provide you with insurance in name only. Pretty useless paying for something if it doesn't actually provide what you need. Which is why I wan't a company that actually knows what I do to make sure I'm covered.

simply business are one. tower insurance another. also check if you are covered for 3 phase. some policies exclude it.

I checked out tower insurance online, they want me to call them, probably because of they consider steeples hazardous locations. To be fair they are, lots of odd things up there, dodgy floors and ladders winding round clocks. Did see a coffin up one the other day. I suppose this is what I want really, to talk to someone anyway. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll follow them up.

I work with an NICEIC contractor as a sub contractor for most things, but I do my own work as well, and I need cover for both. I'm probably going to have to register for NAPIT or someone soon, as I don't need to pay rolls royce prices as the work I do is because they want me not the "nice one" brand, that's another thing though.

I'm with Stroma - their Insurance partners do a stonking deal

Less than £400 for scheme membership, PL & PI ins

Sounds like a complete package.

Never heard of stroma before, and never worked for anyone that wasn't NICEIC. The only people I've known on another scheme were part time college lecturers who were with NAPIT.

I just got a combined PL and PI quote for 900 quid!

Either my PL is worthless or PI is through the roof.
Rip Off seems appropriate. i got PL 2mill. PI 50k for under £200.

Never heard of stroma before, and never worked for anyone that wasn't NICEIC. The only people I've known on another scheme were part time college lecturers who were with NAPIT.
You should get out more!

But seriously. I was with NAPIT. They have their own insurance deal that can include PII. Its a reasonable price and saves having to send them your insurance details every year to prove that you're covered.

Before that I was with Hiscox. They do a specific Electrical Contractors insurance that has all the options. Cost me about £25 a month IIRC

We've just renewed with Towergate (Former NICEIC Insurance) tried the new NICEIC they were rubbish. PL was an OKish price but PI, Efficiency, EL, Financial Loss and the rest I can't remember were all extras. By the time these were added it was eye watering!

You should get out more!

Or spend more time on forums! haha

We've just renewed with Towergate (Former NICEIC Insurance) tried the new NICEIC they were rubbish. PL was an OKish price but PI, Efficiency, EL, Financial Loss and the rest I can't remember were all extras. By the time these were added it was eye watering!

I'll give towergate a call on Monday.

It's difficult weighing up risks against prices. My dog isn't on insurance anymore because they wan't over a £1000 a year for the old dog, this was a few years ago, I figured I was better off taking the chance and paying for anything in full if he needed it. Excess was about £100 anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys, it's been really helpful.

Reply to Insurance, specifically professional indemnity in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net