Discuss Interesting talk with DNO engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had the DNO out to check cut out, make a sheathed earth available today and pull fuse whilst I fit isolator.
Got talking about pulling fuses and the seal fairy, he said Western Power normally just give you a dont be naughty talk and doesn't get why they dont just allow registered electricians to pull them on domestic properties. recognised sometimes the cut out is seized up or its an older ceramic one, in which case call them.
he said that recently they have been sent to properties where the electrician has pulled fuse, smart meter detects loss of power and it flags as a supply fault, so they get a call and should power stay off for a certain period then they send an engineer out to check. wasnt sure if this is an automated computer process or a human initiated process.
He said he arrived at a property to find electrician had pulled fuse and was doing some work. no big deal he said, just told him to go careful and that really he shouldn't etc...
So it seems at least one electrical supplier with smart meters is calling loss of power/ fuse pulling into the DNO to inspect. He didn't know how long this time period is for the power being interrupted before they investigate but it clearly is happening. no doubt in many cases the electrician is just taking fuse out rather than fitting isolator and getting fuse back in. suspect if you fitted isolator and got back on line then nothing would happen.
He went on to say they dont like doing it as they are too busy but once called in from the smart meter people as a fault they have to send somebody out...
Last smart meter property I had to pull a fuse in Chippenham the meter made loads of funny noises... didnt stop until fuse was back in.
Anybody else got any knowledge of the smart meter folk calling in the fuse being removed?

Admit to nothing!

The first rule of pulling fuses is... YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT PULLING FUSES! :eek:
Haha it was in SSE's patch in Wiltshire they allow you to pull them there. not so when in the land of Western Power Distribution...
[automerge]1568752277[/automerge]
ive not heard of this before but i think they have a sim card in them check out john ward videos on you tube
best video is the one by bigclive, he takes one apart showing all the tamper sensors and bits inside, very informative.

The internet has had quite a few "smart meter reported me pulling the fuse" stories lately on other sparky platforms. Some have even reported fines being dished out on the spot, even though the DNO would have no authority to do so. All the stories seem to involve WPD but nearly all the stories have happened to someone's "mate" so not a lot of credible evidence out there. Could even be WPD fuelling the rumour mill.

I wouldn't pull a smart meter apart, but then I wouldn't open any meter. There is never a reason to. I have heard of other contractors in my area pulling the fuse on many smart meters in my area to facilitate their work though, and not one report of contact to any customer from the DNO.

The internet has had quite a few "smart meter reported me pulling the fuse" stories lately on other sparky platforms. Some have even reported fines being dished out on the spot, even though the DNO would have no authority to do so. All the stories seem to involve WPD but nearly all the stories have happened to someone's "mate" so not a lot of credible evidence out there. Could even be WPD fuelling the rumour mill.

I wouldn't pull a smart meter apart, but then I wouldn't open any meter. There is never a reason to. I have heard of other contractors in my area pulling the fuse on many smart meters in my area to facilitate their work though, and not one report of contact to any customer from the DNO.
I take some of it with pinch of salt. my aunts partner is a depot manager for WPD so have had it confirmed that they can and do respond to reports. not aware of 'fines' being issued. only a court could do that. it may be the property of the dno but if you can show a need and work safely then i can not see anybody issuing a fine.

I take some of it with pinch of salt. my aunts partner is a depot manager for WPD so have had it confirmed that they can and do respond to reports. not aware of 'fines' being issued. only a court could do that. it may be the property of the dno but if you can show a need and work safely then i can not see anybody issuing a fine.
Exactly. Only a court could issue a fine which makes me wonder where these rumours come from. Just the usual wholesale counter garbage talk or WPD trying to spook people. Have they recently put up their rates for fuse pulling attendances ? ?

Exactly. Only a court could issue a fine which makes me wonder where these rumours come from. Just the usual wholesale counter garbage talk or WPD trying to spook people. Have they recently put up their rates for fuse pulling attendances ? ?
67 plus vat.... also got them to make a new tns earth available as old one was awol! So not too bad considering. Much preferable to putting a rod in!

With the ESB it's a big no no to interfere with any of their seals and they will fine you a huge amount of money for it. In fact no-one would ever contemplate doing it.

That said they fit meters with a contractors isolator (and contractors seal) on them, otherwise a separate isolator with a contractors side.

To many people, a service charge bill for "attending to loss of supply alarm from smart meter due to electrician pulling the service fuse" would look like and probably be described as "a fine".

well said it before so will say it again,got called to a job in liverpool the smart meter had been bypassed for several weeks while building work was being done , this smart meter was a bit dumb

Scaremonger...…..nobody will be trusting them tns earths.;)
Haha.. interesting to watch actually. They carry little kits.. a sort of springy copper band that wraps around incoming lead. Sand it back a bit for good connection. Apply the band and then cover with black tape. Sheath is covered in yellow green sleeving and has little metal terminal block on end for a 16mm earth. They are meant to check the tns if not converted to pme earths at each call out now as part of rolling programme of work.

Haha.. interesting to watch actually. They carry little kits.. a sort of springy copper band that wraps around incoming lead. Sand it back a bit for good connection. Apply the band and then cover with black tape. Sheath is covered in yellow green sleeving and has little metal terminal block on end for a 16mm earth. They are meant to check the tns if not converted to pme earths at each call out now as part of rolling programme of work.
They could be the Hepworth/Sicame ones.

With the ESB it's a big no no to interfere with any of their seals and they will fine you a huge amount of money for it. In fact no-one would ever contemplate doing it.

That said they fit meters with a contractors isolator (and contractors seal) on them, otherwise a separate isolator with a contractors side.

It sounds like you've got things a lot better sorted out in Ireland, from your various posts your rules appear to be clearer and stricter on quite a few things.

SSE used to fit self connect meters with the integral isolator but Im not sure if they still do

This is just scaremongering - even the smartest "smart meter" won't detect the difference between a seal fairy and a momentary network outage, which happen regularly, sometimes across all phases and at other times just one.

This is just scaremongering - even the smartest "smart meter" won't detect the difference between a seal fairy and a momentary network outage, which happen regularly, sometimes across all phases and at other times just one.

One meter on its own won't, but with multiple smart meters on one street it will be very easy to establish what is a network outage and what isn't.

Reply to Interesting talk with DNO engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock