Discuss Intex Spa - No earth wire in power cable?!?! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

STUART76

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I have an intex inflatable spa and the moulded plug is hot to touch after running it for a few hours. I tried it in different sockets but it still gets hot so assume its the plug thats the issue. I cut the old plug off to attach a new one but there is only live and neutral wires. Is this right? Surely there should be an earth. There is an inline rcd (kp-g16b prcd) but is this enough to protect the spa? I'm hesitant to just wire a new plug on in case the moulded plug had some special arrangement.

Thanks

Stu

Have you looked at the instructions?
I suspect that it will say that it is double insulated and requires no earth.

Have you looked at the instructions?
I suspect that it will say that it is double insulated and requires no earth.

The instructions don't mention it, they just say it needs to be plugged into an earthed socket. However, instructions for a very similar design show that there are separate earth terminals that can be connected to household earth. You have to unscrew a plate on the back of the unit to get to them but why wouldnt the grounding go through the power cable to the wall socket. I guess I should be doing the grounding but I wonder how many people buy one of these things and just plug it in like i did expecting it to be earthed.

Is there a symbol on the rating plate which is a square within a larger square?

Reply to Intex Spa - No earth wire in power cable?!?! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock