Discuss Is a standard Pendant a Class 2 fitting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

I’m presuming a standard pendant is a class 2 fitting as the earth terminals are not needed as it’s a plastic fitting and it only has an insulated 2 core going to the actual ‘lamp part’.

Am I correct in thinking this?

The reason I ask is Screwfix have replied to someone’s question that it is a class 1 and requires an earth? Even though it is only used to loop in/out.

Can anyone clarify this for me.

Thanks E4F9170E-4F95-44C1-B671-7ACCE8B5BBFF.jpegA7B978CF-7918-4E13-8D37-39AFE2E772C6.jpeg

I would say the pendant as a whole is NOT class 2. It has an earth terminal and so cannot be defined as class 2.

I'd say that the earth terminal within an insulated pendant base is purely there as either a parking or loop terminal depending on the wiring method and serves no other purpose with regard to the fitting. So in a situation where the lighting cable has no cpc and rewiring just isn't an option at that time then the pendant is a far safer and satisfactory alternative to a metal Class 1 fitting.

I'd say that the earth terminal within an insulated pendant base is purely there as either a parking or loop terminal depending on the wiring method and serves no other purpose with regard to the fitting. So in a situation where the lighting cable has no cpc and rewiring just isn't an option at that time then the pendant is a far safer and satisfactory alternative to a metal Class 1 fitting.

Agree. But it's not classified as class II.

For flip's sake, that's my post blown out of the water. Cheers!

But then, hold on - that's only the holder part. The assembly is not class 2.
just checked a BG pendant and it has no symbols or markings to help us.
and for the first time ever, i have actually read the enclosed instruction leaflet and it also has no useful information.

just checked a BG pendant and it has no symbols or markings to help us.

I'm sure any assembly that has an earth point or an earth cable entering it cannot be classified as a class 2 device. I would put a fiver on it. And I'm from Yorkshire.

And if that has no symbols on it then that confirms it isn't class 2.

From definitions:

Class II equipment. Equipment in which protection against electric shock does not rely on basic insulation only, but in which additional safety precautions such as supplementary insulation are provided, there being no provision for the connection of exposed metalwork of the equipment to a protective conductor, and no reliance upon precautions to be taken in the fixed wiring of the installation (see BS EN 6 1140).

I believe pendants, or more specifically the lamp holder is a special case when it comes to regs.
Access to live parts, where anyone can easily stick a finger in and touch the pins.
Although I think new lamp holders don’t power up unless a lamp is fitted.

As for class I or II… A pendant is made up of a ceiling rose, basically a junction box, a length of 2 core flex and a lamp holder.
The double insulated symbol must only be for the lamp holder part.

There is no way that pendant holder it Class II is has exposed live pins. The part no is K1170RPWHI and the only site which shows that symbol is Amazon none of the other sites do.

Last edited:
There is no way that pendant holder it Class II is has exposed live pins. The part no is K1170RPWHI and the only site which shows that symbol is Amazon none of the other sites do.
So Amazon is adding unauthorised 'Double insulated' labels to a product?
Sounds a bit like my dubious market trader relative and his roll of self adhesive 'CE' labels.

So Amazon is adding unauthorised 'Double insulated' labels to a product?
Sounds a bit like my dubious market trader relative and his roll of self adhesive 'CE' labels.
Who knows but it is odd this product on other sites does not show it and its position and everything about it is odd.

Reply to Is a standard Pendant a Class 2 fitting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net