Discuss Is a standard Pendant a Class 2 fitting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

My GF mum house has no earth on the lighting circuits, pre 1966 build, has some metal light fittings, she is 90 years old and does not want the house rewiring.
I changed a faulty metal class1 fitting for a pendant (to her disapproval) , have advised to replace the other remaining fittings cant do no more.

Part number would be K1186WHI

I'm guessing it must be the 'shockguard' version, which only makes connection when lamp is fitted.

Edit: That part number isn't one of their shockguard pendants.

Last edited:
It looks a bit ad hoc I would query it with MK.
I don't think it is. My preferred pendant sets are MK, they've always been like this as long as I've been using them. I like the terminals in them.

Here's another lampholder, don't know what brand. I bought it a while back from an online shop for a table lamp repair.

otherone.JPG

I don't think it is. My preferred pendant sets are MK, they've always been like this as long as I've been using them. I like the terminals in them.

Here's another lampholder, don't know what brand. I bought it a while back from an online shop for a table lamp repair.

View attachment 95611

It's definitely not - I edited that last post while you were typing.

Makes little sense to have a double insulated symbol when, at most, slight pressure gives acces to live parts.

Part number would be K1186WHI

I'm guessing it must be the 'shockguard' version, which only makes connection when lamp is fitted.

Edit: That part number isn't one of their shockguard pendants.
I just tested the MK pendant set, and got continuity between the live terminal in the ceiling rose and one of the pins, without pressing it in, so no special safety guards as far as I can tell

I just tested the MK pendant set, and got continuity between the live terminal in the ceiling rose and one of the pins, without pressing it in, so no special safety guards as far as I can tell

Maybe the class 2 status can be when the device is in normal use, ie. When fitted with a bulb?

Turning this around a bit: I don't believe class I equipment is allowed to have exposed live parts either, but there's loads of earthed metal lamps out there with either bayonet or screw lampholders, that are deemed to be class I.

I can only conclude that, as you say, the lampholder is excluded from the requirements

The reason i asked is that i have no earth on lighting circuits and i need an EICR.

have spoke to NAPIT and NECEIC and they are just as confused, one states it's ok and will pass EICR, the other states it will fail, class 2.

What pendant like fitting would work in this situation as they will all need replacing if they are indeed class 2.

Cheers

The reason i asked is that i have no earth on lighting circuits and i need an EICR.

have spoke to NAPIT and NECEIC and they are just as confused, one states it's ok and will pass EICR, the other states it will fail, class 2.

What pendant like fitting would work in this situation as they will all need replacing if they are indeed class 2.

Cheers
Standard plastic pendant sets such as these have no exposed conductive metal parts, so the lack of CPC (earth conductor) doesn't make them any less safe in their installed state.

Wiring regulations require a CPC to every point, even to plastic fittings such as these, in case they should be changed in the future to class I fittings. So even if you change all your lights and switches to plastic, it will still receive a code, as it is non compliant.

Whether your inspector codes it as C3 (improvement recommended, but satisfactory) or C2 (potentially dangerous, unsatisfactory) is up to his or her own judgement.

Standard plastic pendant sets such as these have no exposed conductive metal parts, so the lack of CPC (earth conductor) doesn't make them any less safe in their installed state.

Wiring regulations require a CPC to every point, even to plastic fittings such as these, in case they should be changed in the future to class I fittings. So even if you change all your lights and switches to plastic, it will still receive a code, as it is non compliant.

Whether your inspector codes it as C3 (improvement recommended, but satisfactory) or C2 (potentially dangerous, unsatisfactory) is up to his or her own judgement.

I will relay this info to each electrician and get their verdict on it.

Thanks

Just spoke to NICEIC electrician and he stated these are fine as Class 2.

‘BG pendants have no exposed metalic parts and internals are not live unless you put a bulb in so they will be fine.
C3 if fittings are class 2. C3 if not.
consumer unit will need warning notice to say not to install metal fittings on lighting’

These fittings and again question asked/replied.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-6-pendant-set-bc-white-5-pack/81746

559BE534-A715-47F9-B031-C5EE84C63479.jpeg42469775-ABD3-4655-8910-D118F6306E38.jpeg

Cheers

Just spoke to NICEIC electrician and he stated these are fine as Class 2.

‘BG pendants have no exposed metalic parts and internals are not live unless you put a bulb in so they will be fine.
C3 if fittings are class 2. C3 if not.
consumer unit will need warning notice to say not to install metal fittings on lighting’

These fittings and again question asked/replied.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-6-pendant-set-bc-white-5-pack/81746

View attachment 95621View attachment 95622

Cheers

Loving that user name 😀😃

Cheers guys, i have also been informed that the Class 2 type MK/BG pendants have spring loaded pin terminals and only connect/make contact with the lamp in place. Again this obviously does not stop someone actually pushing the pins in i presume....

I will get some when i get chance, check them and reply back as someone above has stated differently.

I was looking at the safety pendants the other day. Does anyone know where they are required? I think pendants are like toasters and would never get approval if it was just invented.

I was looking at the safety pendants the other day. Does anyone know where they are required? I think pendants are like toasters and would never get approval if it was just invented.

I think this thread explains their use and my primary use for using them as they are class 2 and require no CPC, saves a very expensive/difficult partial rewire.

Reply to Is a standard Pendant a Class 2 fitting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net