Discuss Is an annual boiler service important? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I had this LPG and gas boiler servicing Tavistock expert install a new boiler in my apartment. And since I just got it, I honestly don’t think that servicing it annually is that important like what my brother think so. Want to know your opinions about this. Anybody?

essential IMO. what price your safety? epitaph on tombstone could be "died from carbon monoxide poisoning as he was too tight -fisted to have his boiler serviced".

Agree, doesn't cost much to have them serviced and have some piece of mind.

Another reason, usually extended warranties require the device to be serviced.

Modern boilers are made from ever thinner ,more plasticy matterials , service and upgrades of service parts are essential for Safety /
(young and old most at risk)

I have to concur with all the above. My boiler, Worcester Bosch, was on a service contract from new, 15 years ago. This included an annual service plus call-outs for any repairs. It was trouble free for about 12 years, then required a simple control knob which got accidentally knocked off...engineer came, fitted it, plus new pcb, at no charge, but without the service contract he told me it was £80 call-out charge and the same again for the parts.
A couple of years later during the annual service, the engineer replaced several components that were known upgrades to fix minor glitches (not that my boiler had suffered from these) and the next year when I called them out due to some damp staining round the boiler he fitted a completely new heat exchanger and assorted kit, all included within the annual fee. I guess I was looking at buying a new boiler at that point, but effectively I actually got one with these repairs.
Thus, imho, annual service is absolutely essential for safety and peace of mind, and if you can afford the all-in care option, go for it. Contract customers get priority in emergencies too, I believe. One tiny final point, on a contract scheme you get a bit of a "window" to have your annual service, so it can be useful to move the dates around so you get your service in July/August/September, depending on how busy they are. This means you get to choose an appointment and have your boiler serviced before winter comes, when appointments are harder to schedule.

As @pirate, I have a Worcester Bosch that’s been serviced annually by BG. I have the home care plan too which pays for itself if you need an expensive spare part like the pcb.
Even a leaky radiator valve is covered.

Although, I’ve had 3 or 4 visits for a recurring fault when the boiler goes off when calling for heat and needs reset.

It probably doesn’t need it the first year, but as mentioned before, any extended warranty will require yearly servicing from new

Yes. Worth it for the knowledge that no gas leaks, combustion chamber leaks or flue leaks have developed. Also keeps future cost down as maintain (like for cars) saves you in the long run. Our 12 year Vaillant we are told looks like new inside - as we picked a proper service (not expensive, just a guy that knows these things inside out) that when appropriate opened up the burner, to check for deposits etc, on-top of what they could have got away with (just gas flue analyser and gas leak test from meter).

Only had one issue with a pressure sensor which cost £70 to fit. Not bad for 12 years of service and a £50-£60/year cost of servicing.

there was once a pilot was forced to bailout of his damaged aircraft. unfortunately, his parachute did not open fully.whilst struggling to correct it, he met a plumber in a boiler suit coming upwards at a high rate of knots. he souts out..." Oi mate. do youknow anything about parachutes?" plumber replies... " No mate. do you know anything about gas boilers?"

BOOM, BOOM.

Hi,

Annual servicing doesn't cost much. It ensures that it is combusting fuel safely and efficiently. Get it serviced for safety reasons, peace of mind and to keep future maintenance costs down.

Reply to Is an annual boiler service important? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock