Discuss Is an SPD required for a loft conversion? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. We live in an older house and we are doing a loft conversion. We do not have an SPD on the connection to the grid and the builder's electricians insist that we must have one, otherwise he can't sign the certificate, but he doesn't want to give me a reason. We have a few consumer units under the stairs, next to the meter and I do not think there is enough space for him to do any changes now. I want to have an SPD installed, but not right now as we plan to do some other changes in the house soon and I do not think it is worth paying for something now just to have it changed in a few months. Can someone please tell me whether there is a legal requirement to install an SPD when doing a loft conversion? (the house is a semi-detached with a looped connection and the electrician didn't even have to connect a new loop to the consumer unit as this had alreay been done a few years ago when we had some other electrical work done in the house). Thank you

Strictly speaking there is no legal aspect to the wiring regulations. It is the The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations (2002) aka ESQCR, and the The Electricity at Work Regulations (1989) that are legally enforceable, and in turn they state that following BS7671 "Requirements for Electrical Installations" is usually the means to meet them.

But to all intents and purposes you need to follow BS7671.

Following Amendment 2:2022 to the 2018 version of BS7671 SPD are required to be fitted if any risk of injury/death or significant financial or data loss, for other cases the shall be fitted "unless the owner of the installation declares it is not required due to any loss or damage being tolerable and they accept the risk of damage to equipment and any consequential loss" (regulation 443.4.1). What any insurance company would do if such a declaration is made is another matter and one I don't know if being tested yet...

There is another option for SPD fitting without the change of your existing CU and that is to have an isolator switch with SPD fitted such as these:

Thank you for your reply, @pc1966 . I have already suggested this option to him as we have multiple consumer units the there is a separate main switch of a similar size, that could be replaced with something of the same size, but with an SPD. He quoted me £250 for the work, which, with all respect, I think is too much. My preference would be for him to just focus on the loft and sign the certificate and then I can change this as part of other work that we plan to do in the near future.

As your electrician has said, he can't sign off his work if you don't want the spd fitted as any alterations or additions to the electrical installation have to be covered by the current wiring regulations as PC1966 has pointed out to you and therefore loft extension won't be signed off as the building inspector will want the certificate for the electrics, unless you find a cowboy to all this for you...

@Ursanelec , the electrician hasn't given me a reason (apart from saying "because these are the rules"). Separate from this, he hasn't done any work on the consumer unit yet as the ring for the socket and the cable for the light had already been done a few years ago and all he had to do was to extend it.
I also asked another electrician about this and he said that even though an SPD is good, in this area, a risk assessmen would show it is not required.

As your electrician has said, he can't sign off his work if you don't want the spd fitted as any alterations or additions to the electrical installation have to be covered by the current wiring regulations as PC1966 has pointed out to you and therefore loft extension won't be signed off as the building inspector will want the certificate for the electrics, unless you find a cowboy to all this for you...
Not sure I follow you here @Ursanelec . The reg @pc1966 quoted allows for the omission of an SPD should the owner request it, which @ionionascu has. Surely it would be a cowboy that insisted on installing one in this situation?

I also asked another electrician about this and he said that even though an SPD is good, in this area, a risk assessmen would show it is not required.
The risk assessment option was removed in the most recent update to the wiring regulations. However, as prettymouth says, the person ordering the work may refuse to have an SPD fitted if they deem it unnecessary. Most electricians would want a written declaration by the person ordering the work to this effect, to cover themselves.

You state that you want to get a get an SPD installed.

However you don't want to install an SPD in such a way to it will just need to be ripped out in the near future, which is understandable as this would be poor value.

You then mention that you did manage to come up a soltution together with your electrcian which would provide both an SPD and longevity by installing a main upfront SPD. This is a good solution and meets what you are looking for based on what you have said.

It seems the only issue you have is the price of £250 - you think this is too much. It might be more than you are willing to pay but it is a reasonable price.

Why not just pay for the solution that meets your needs and get on with your life?

Last edited:
The price is excluding parts. Any way, I am waiting for another electrician to give me a quotation on this as well and I will just go for this cheaper option. Thank you for all your replies.
If you really don't want an SPD fitted and wish to accept the risks involved, then tell the electrician.
If he refuses to sign it off for that reason, then tell him you will take it up with his certification body.

If you believe that all the equipment that could be damaged without an SPD is worth less than £250 or you just dont want one....sign a waiver declaring this and the sparks is covered

If you believe that all the equipment that could be damaged without an SPD is worth less than £250 or you just dont want one....sign a waiver declaring this and the sparks is covered
Say I have an SPD fitted at a cost of £250, then there is a thunderstorm nearby and then my £500 2 year and 1 day TV goes faulty, whats the procedure for getting a working TV again?

Say I have an SPD fitted at a cost of £250, then there is a thunderstorm nearby and then my £500 2 year and 1 day TV goes faulty, whats the procedure for getting a working TV again?

Go to Currys. Pick a TV you like. Pay for it. Dispose of the old one responsibly.

Happy to help.

I would start by checking the tvs power supply :)

So exactly the same as if you didn't have an SPD then.

You're surely not expecting the SPD manufacturer to replace your TV whenever it goes faulty? Am I missing something?

If you really don't want an SPD fitted and wish to accept the risks involved, then tell the electrician.
If he refuses to sign it off for that reason, then tell him you will take it up with his certification body.
No regulatory body is going to force an Electrician to not fit surge protection.

Reply to Is an SPD required for a loft conversion? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock