Discuss Is being an Electrician good ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elektrisien

I have done my C+G 2360 Part 1 and 2, 17th Edition, part P for what its worth. My practical experience though is not so good. I have done mostly Cat5/6 installations on building sites, offices etc. Now obviously I must go and do Inspection and Testing. That is another £800. I am just wondering is it worthwhile ? Is there money and opportunities enough ? If you could choose again, would you be an electrician ?

If i could do again. Just pay a couple of grand, do the testing course join nic..it cuts out all the hard bits, like learning a trade. Bingo, fast track to a good living (assuming you have a business brain)

i would concentrate on the AM2 if i was you, then the on site diary and you'll be a spark! leave the 2391 for now as its the electricians holy grail! ( there is a 40% pass rate!)

If you could choose again, would you be an electrician ?

Sad as it sounds I love my job and I wouldn't change the last 14 years at all:eek:.

I do think the trade has gone downhill a lot since I started, particularly with the intro of the part p nonsense, but hopefully change is afoot.:)

i started at 16 as an apprentice back in the day finished all my exams got good grades done my c corse and am now a project manager i love my job and wouldn't change it for the world

I'm just finishing my apprenticeship at the minute AM2 booked for August, personally can't see myself doing this job forever. I see the old fellas at work that have been around and done it all and they seem about had it. Backs, kness everything gone...

Maybe its just personal preferance I don't mind getting my hands dirty and doing all the rubbish jobs but I could also see myself doing something more in a office role. I'm an optimist although it may not happen ill always have the thought that theres more to life than working on a building site. Moneys there to be made in some way. Depends how much you want to dream....

Sad as it sounds I love my job and I wouldn't change the last 14 years at all:eek:.

I do think the trade has gone downhill a lot since I started, particularly with the intro of the part p nonsense, but hopefully change is afoot.:)

Lenny,

Change is a foot....what do you know:)

i like being a spak it just i feel we always have to be the last in on jobs let the plumbr,joiners, heating engineers in first and we just have to make do all the time, what also annoys me is adult trainee getting through there time to quick when most of have not got a clue that really annoyed me when i was serving my time

Last edited by a moderator:
what also annoys me is adult trainee getting through there time to quick when most of have not got a clue

that will be me then "clueless adult trainee" only took 4 year to qualify to approved jib, 2391 etc etc :)

about 8 years now and still love the job and making a decent enough living although not as much work about still enough to keep busy, and its not all about money much better to enjoy your work

Did my apprentiship at 16, went straight throught to my 2391. Have since worked on numerous sites and for some good (1 ****) companies.
Then I got a bit itchy, I wanted something a little more involving. So I started to lecture and became a memeber of the IET. I now work for myself part time, and teach at a college part time...

I am now in the process of setting up a training center, got C&G approval 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came out of college in 1984,the year of Orwell,had to go to night school for three years,because i kept telling the old fart *******s to carry their own tool boxes,so kept getting sacked,best thing to happen,worked for about 10 - 12 different firms during those years,(kept getting sacked),but covered everything electrical along the way,qualified as a plumber/central heating installer(Engineer?) as well,along the way,if my Brain was business orientated,could have cleaned up,unfortunately the boozer quite often beckoned....MORAL----Go for it son,but dont plan on a life of lifting floorboards and chasing out walls,THINK Business wise,wouldnt want my 18 year old son doing it though...Be Lucky!!!

i love the job it`s just some of the customers and sometimes lack of them. :) i know it sounds sad but when i have done a job in the clubs wiring up the lighting it feels great to watch the affects when it`s switched on. :D

I LOVE it, have been in trade 27yrs, and still LOVE it - even all the rough bits (no work, people not paying you :mad: )

Its a trade to truly be proud of :)

Reply to Is being an Electrician good ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net