Discuss Is it just me or are rates for everything going up...? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So long story short , been having bits and pieces done at our house. Tree removal , bit if roofing , new guttering etc

so had a bloke round about 9-10 months ago to quote to replace some broken fencing , quoted me £475 then Which was a fair price. It’s a friend of a friend who at the time was needing some work

rang him today to book it in and he reckons it will be £900 now as his prices have gone up... errrr

now I can easily understand maybe £500 even £600 as people prices do go up but to jump to £900

Presumably you said No?

Given that rise I'd be using someone else on principal even if they were more.

He's either making up for lost income or quoting high because he doesn't want the job or so busy he can afford to potentially loose the job.

Fencing materials haven't gone up that amount, taking out labour the materials price would have to have doubled or tripled.

Why don't you price the materials up at a local yard and see what they cost . That does seem a disproportional rise. Maybe he has bought a new van :)

Have already text him to say the new price is unacceptable, his argument was he is busier now than back in March so put his rates up. And concrete has gone up so the concrete spurs we need have gone up...

I did very quickly add up the materials via wickes website and they come out about £250

so he wants £650 for one days Labour which imo isn't justifiable even for Surrey

Have already text him to say the new price is unacceptable, his argument was he is busier now than back in March so put his rates up. And concrete has gone up so the concrete spurs we need have gone up...

I did very quickly add up the materials via wickes website and they come out about £250

so he wants £650 for one days Labour which imo isn't justifiable even for Surrey
WTFlip is a concrete spur?

so had a bloke round about 9-10 months ago to quote to replace some broken fencing , quoted me £475 then Which was a fair price. It’s a friend of a friend who at the time was needing some work

rang him today to book it in and he reckons it will be £900 now as his prices have gone up... errrr
is this friend of a friend going to watch the concreate dry, and if so can stand there and watch it too. lol .

He clearly don’t want the job but is happy to do it at the increased price.....even then it would be rushed as he hasn’t got time for it really

A mate of mine is a landscaper... and he makes a very good living ! Most jobs he quotes for come in... because even charging, what he thinks are 'premium' prices... he's cheapest ! He's easily on £500/day for some jobs...

A mate of mine is a landscaper... and he makes a very good living ! Most jobs he quotes for come in... because even charging, what he thinks are 'premium' prices... he's cheapest ! He's easily on £500/day for some jobs...

if it’s proper landscaping / tree work / brick work etc I have no problem paying the pros. A decent gardener in my area charges £40-45 ph for hedges and grass cutting etc. People will pay for good work.

So why are you lot wasting your time installing electrics. ?

The mate who cut our tree down just spent £15,000 on a brand new wood chipper , its an expensive trade to be in but his Day rate for tree surgery is £650

To be fair. Seems a reasonable reason.

he was quiet during the original quote so went lower than normal to get the job, now it’s busy so normal or higher rates apply.

I do it myself.

To be fair. Seems a reasonable reason.

he was quiet during the original quote so went lower than normal to get the job, now it’s busy so normal or higher rates apply.

I do it myself.
i Think the price hike was his polite way of saying I don’t really need the job now but if you do want me to do it i will charge you top dollar

Reply to Is it just me or are rates for everything going up...? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net