Discuss Is it within the regs to fit sockets without securing them to a wall/cupboard? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it like mine, there will be a bank of grid switches.
That's what I would have expected, or similar. If so, aside from the lack of strain relief where the T+E enters the pattresses, and it looking a little rough, I personally don't think it's all that bad a way of connecting appliances.

We have this regulation, which perhaps applies in this case:

Stationary equipment which is moved temporarily for the purposes of connecting, cleaning etc., e.g. cookers or flush-mounting units for installations in false floors, shall be connected with flexible cable. If the equipment is not subject to vibration then non-flexible cables may be used.

Darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sinks, washers, dishwashers are all prone to leaks etc simply having them on the floor loose would suggest they are not suitable to the environment, raising them into an adjacent cupboard for example would resolve this, I also fit outdoor IP rated sockets under sink units for the same regulations, seals around drains etc do not last forever so one should consider that when fitting a socket under a sink or behind a water using appliance.

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
On domestic new builds that I’ve done in the past, I’ve overcome this problem by having a switch / SFU above counter but then run a long length of chased in flex from it downwards to below the plaster line, couple of meters of slack and then fitted a 13a trailing socket.

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The only time I've ever done anything like this is when I provided a supply under some units, fed from a bank of light switches, to feed some LEDs
to be fitted in the plinth.
When the LEDs turned up, their PSU was a wall wart, so I fitted a surface box and a 1G unswitched socket to a small rectangle of left over plinth, with a couple of cable event cable clips, and pushed the whole lot under the unit s.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it like mine, there will be a bank of grid switches.
recipe for failure. the number of failed grid switches I've had to replace over years is approaching 3 figures. last one was a bank of 4, and 3 of them had been bridged out. they are rated at 20A, so why do they keep failing at 10A ???

Reply to Is it within the regs to fit sockets without securing them to a wall/cupboard? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net