Discuss Is new cu required for new oven install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jules123

DIY
Reaction score
An electrician has recently quoted to replace our old oven. He says that the new oven has different power requirements and he needs to replace the consumer unit to make this lower and avoid burning out our new oven within weeks! The cu was new in 2015 so I am concerned that it now needs replacing - this will cost double the cost of the oven... Help please!

him talk with forked tongue. if there isno spare waysin the existing CU for the cookwer, then a singleway unit could be instaaled, splittong the feed taitsfrom the metaer/isolator.

I can’t see why it would need lowering and require a new Consumer Unit , the oven will only draw as much current as it requires .ohms law demands this at the same voltage

An electrician has recently quoted to replace our old oven. He says that the new oven has different power requirements and he needs to replace the consumer unit to make this lower and avoid burning out our new oven within weeks! The cu was new in 2015 so I am concerned that it now needs replacing - this will cost double the cost of the oven... Help please!

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not as polite as the others and will say that it sounds like the electrician is talking rubbish.... or you may have misheard them.
Get the electrician to put a his explanations in writing and then post that up on here.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not as polite as the others and will say that it sounds like the electrician is talking rubbish.... or you may have misheard them.
Get the electrician to put a his explanations in writing and then post that up on here.
Thanks. It's only a Hotpoint oven. I'll ask about the reason for a new CU.

Worst case scenario a new smaller cu (1 way) can be installed for oven. Can't see any situation where a 2015 board would need changed for the sake of an oven.
Perhaps he only meant part of the board but has quoted around £400 for part and to fit...does that sound right?? Along with other work quoted separately...thanks for your advice

It really depends on your location as prices vary massively across the country. I wouldn't expect a full board change to be as little as 400 so it could be for a new separate board. Probably best to get a little more detail off him first.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you....this is what he said: you only have 1 rcd so will have to change the board to pass the certificate.

This was his response: you only have 1 rcd so will have to change the board to pass the certificate. He's quoting £650 to do that.

Wow, that is terrible, they should be explaining things a lot better than that if you are going to have any chance of understanding what they are talking about.

Assuming the job is simply disconnecting an old appliance and connecting the new appliance to the existing installation, without any alteration to the fixed wiring, then it is not necessary.
There is no requirement to issue a certificate for simply replacing an appliance either.

On the scant information you have given it is hard to say the truth of the matter. How many Kilowatts is your new oven and how many kilowatts is your old oven? If you dont know, give us the model number of the ovens. Does your old oven plug in? Does the new one, i.e. does it have a plug on it??? Can you photograph the board he is talking of changing and put it up here? Of course you could always just return the oven and get a lower rated one to match the one you are replacing???

Anyway, you don't change a board to pass a cerificate. You issue a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (aka MEIWC) as best practice, but as already stated above it is not strictly required so that sounds like a load of bunkum to put it as politely as I can! So if I have this right, £400 to change the cooker, £650 to change the board, total £1050, is that correct??? I really hope not, if it is he needs reporting to trading standards.

On the scant information you have given it is hard to say the truth of the matter. How many Kilowatts is your new oven and how many kilowatts is your old oven? If you dont know, give us the model number of the ovens. Does your old oven plug in? Does the new one, i.e. does it have a plug on it??? Can you photograph the board he is talking of changing and put it up here? Of course you could always just return the oven and get a lower rated one to match the one you are replacing???
Apparently the old oven was higher than the new Hotpoint DKD3 841 IX one. He said something about old being 40 and new only being 20. Both are hard wired but the position isn't changing. He said the new one would burn out due to the difference...images attached.

Anyway, you don't change a board to pass a cerificate. You issue a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (aka MEIWC) as best practice, but as already stated above it is not strictly required so that sounds like a load of bunkum to put it as politely as I can! So if I have this right, £400 to change the cooker, £650 to change the board, total £1050, is that correct??? I really hope not, if it is he needs reporting to trading standards.
It was £650 I think to install the cooker and the board...

Apparently the old oven was higher than the new Hotpoint DKD3 841 IX one. He said something about old being 40 and new only being 20. Both are hard wired but the position isn't changing. He said the new one would burn out due to the difference...images attached.
Don't think your images worked. Copy and paste works well on this forum for images by the way.
As long as the oven is rcd protected and mcb/cable is suitablt sized then there should be no issue.
Even if not RCD protected I'd still change a broken appliance.
New oven is 4.7Kw. A 'standard' 6 sq mm cable and B32 cooker circuit would be fine. Subject to seeing pictures, it sounds like you should find a different electrician.

Reply to Is new cu required for new oven install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net