Discuss Is this allowed as i could not find an answer in the wiring regs. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
4 core, 10mm SWA cable feeding a trace heating installation. The Installer has stated he wants to use 2 cores as 2 phases and 2 cores as Neutrals. This means the cable will have 2 separate circuits within. This would be acceptable if installed within conduit, but is this classed as bad practice within a cable??

I see no problem, as long as it’s marked correctly.

I wouldn’t call it bad practice either, efficient use of time and materials.
Be careful about method of isolation etc. And warning notes.

I see no problem, as long as it’s marked correctly.

I wouldn’t call it bad practice either, efficient use of time and materials.
Be careful about method of isolation etc. And warning notes.

Thanks James, that was my first thought to have correct identification of 2 ccts at both ends.
[automerge]1570796155[/automerge]
Thanks James, that was my first thought to have correct identification of 2 ccts at both ends.
Source URL: Is this allowed as i could not find an answer in the wiring regs. - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/is-this-allowed-as-i-could-not-find-an-answer-in-the-wiring-regs.179402/#post-1580921

Thanks Andy, good shout on the cpc. May require a separate earth if armour is not sufficient.
only for bonding purposes on a TNC-S. . it's adequate as a cpc, bear in mind that if you have 415V between conductors in the same cable, each conductor insulation rating must be > 415V.

No difference than multiple circuits in trunking or conduit

Labelling will be very important as will identification of cores

Make sure to correct the CCC as 2 circuits. Iz will probably work out lower than for one 3-phase 4-wire circuit as in that case theoretically no more than 3 out of 4 cores can be fully loaded (ignoring 3rd harmonic.)

Whilst I understand correct identification of conductors there is no requirement for any warning notices/labels.

Whilst I understand correct identification of conductors there is no requirement for any warning notices/labels.

Not even if they are powered from different supplies?
Isolate at more than one point type note on panel door?

Might not be a requirement but good practice where you think it is necessary.

Nothing wrong with it. Regulation 521.7 allows it as long as the requirements of regulation 528 are meant which is regarding to the proximity of other electrical and non electrical services . The only reason I know is because I carried out an EICR and had a cable with multiple circuits and questioned it myself.

4 core, 10mm SWA cable feeding a trace heating installation. The Installer has stated he wants to use 2 cores as 2 phases and 2 cores as Neutrals. This means the cable will have 2 separate circuits within. This would be acceptable if installed within conduit, but is this classed as bad practice within a cable??

Yes perfectly acceptable, it is quite clear in the regulations along with clear guidance on the applicable grouping factor.
[automerge]1573945317[/automerge]
Not even if they are powered from different supplies?
Isolate at more than one point type note on panel door?

Might not be a requirement but good practice where you think it is necessary.

If they are from different supplies then that would be a very different thing to just having two circuits from the same supply.

No there isn't any need for labels or notices, if there was then you'd have to start labelling every conduit, trunking, joint box, grid switch etc etc.
Plus if course there's the fact that labels and notices achieve nothing, people don't read them or take any notice of them if they do.

Last edited:

Reply to Is this allowed as i could not find an answer in the wiring regs. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock