Discuss Is this cable suitable for outdoor use? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

volineou

DIY
Reaction score
I recently bought a solar panel that I will attach to the roof of my van.
It's a flat flexible solar panel and a 3 m cable is already attached to it.
I'm however a little worried that this cable is not suitable for outdoor use, thinking about the UV stability and temperature tolerance of the cable sheath. It will naturally be exposed to a lot of UV, but may also be exposed to temperatures down to -30 deg C in extreme cases. Since I will glue the panel on the roof I really don't want to find out the cable failed after one year and go through the pain of trying to remove the whole panel.

What made me doubt the cable is simply that the cable is white - I always thought that UV stable cables were black apart from some special cases. I'm very open to be wrong however - beacause really, I have very little knowledge about this.

The cable is very flexible, circular, "soft and smooth" PVC and feels somewhat similar to other outdoor cables I have seen (not the stiffer type typical to indoor lampcoord sheath).
The full label on the cable is:
CCC A089397 JIN HUAN QIU 60227 IEC 53(RVV) 2X1.5MM2 300/500V GB/T5023.5-2008 PVC CABLE

I've tried to find information based on the label, but cannot find anything regarding UV stability and temperature tolerance. I'd be very grateful for some pointers!

Cheers

If the cable is already supplied attached to the panel, it is safe to assume that it is suitable for uv exposure.

Results of a quick search.... H05VV-F/H05VVH2-F 60227 IEC 53 (RVV) | Ningbo Ninggang Cable - http://ninggangcable.com/h05vv-f.html

Which does actually say not suitable for external use.

H07RN-F would be my go to cable for where you are located!

Thanks, also for recommending a proper cable! Although that does not look so good for this panel. It is not trivial to change the cable by the looks of it (tiny cover glued onto the panel), so I will contact the seller and see what they say. From the specs it seems it can handle the temperature, would it be possible to protect the cable by putting a shrink layer over it, or is this just a bad idea?

Thanks, also for recommending a proper cable! Although that does not look so good for this panel. It is not trivial to change the cable by the looks of it (tiny cover glued onto the panel), so I will contact the seller and see what they say. From the specs it seems it can handle the temperature, would it be possible to protect the cable by putting a shrink layer over it, or is this just a bad idea?
Without seeing what you're dealing with, how long a run etc etc it's hard to say but a decent quality flexible conduit that you run the cable inside might work - but be aware of the possible internal temperatures.

CYLT-17B | PMA CYLT Plastic Flexible Conduit Black 20mm x 10m M20 | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conduit/2608561 something like this

Without seeing what you're dealing with, how long a run etc etc it's hard to say but a decent quality flexible conduit that you run the cable inside might work - but be aware of the possible internal temperatures.

CYLT-17B | PMA CYLT Plastic Flexible Conduit Black 20mm x 10m M20 | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conduit/2608561 something like this

Thanks! Should be possible to get something like this on if its flexible enough.

I did get an response from the seller (and the panel is also branded by them). They claim the cable is "excellent for external outdoor use" and says its this cable : [Hot Item] Rvv Rvvp Cable 2X1.0mm 2X1.5mm 2X2.5mm Insulated PVC Flexible Electric Wires Cable - https://fy-powercable.en.made-in-china.com/product/OKExLCXhfopq/China-Rvv-Rvvp-Cable-2X1-0mm-2X1-5mm-2X2-5mm-Insulated-PVC-Flexible-Electric-Wires-Cable.html

Although nothing in on that website says its made for outdoor use, the cable is in the table (60227IEC53(RVV) General PVC sheath soft wire) and the website states "R serie are used for household electrical appliances ,small electrical tools, instruments and engine lighting of AC rated voltage 450/750V or lower". It's also listed under "Home wire" on that website. I suppose I could trust them, and it will work fine...but not with a lot of confidence..

It's what's known as a general Cabtyre cable in my neck of the woods. It's suitable for damp/wet environments and it can be used as a trailing or fixed installation cable so I think the only issue will be it's possible not got a UV stabilised PVC sheath. I wouldn't try to replace the cable because it will be built into the PV panel and cutting/joining a new cable will be a failure fault liability. I'd suggest just put a layer of heat shrink sleeve over the cable wherever it runs outside in direct sunlight.

Reply to Is this cable suitable for outdoor use? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net