Discuss Is This Light Fitting Double Insulated? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As the title states really, I see it has the double insulated symbol but seeing as this is a piece of premium Chinesium I am sure the CE mark is fake as well.

I guess a follow up question would be is it safe to use in this state & if not what can be done to make it safe or is it one for the bin?

Attachments

• Is This Light Fitting Double Insulated? IMG_3346 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3346.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 60
Does the light fitting need to be double insulated in that location?

I guess not? I just wondered if that because its not double insulated does that mean its not safe? I would presume not.

Is it acceptable that the wiring internally is just basic insulation & this poses no issue because the fitting is earthed & non of that basic insulation is exposed when it is fitted to the ceiling in normal use?

If so great news as I don't have to go shopping for a new light fitting :)

I though that everyone knew that C E on anything Chinese means Chinese Export

The mark on the lamp does look quite close to the real one, but means nothing as anyone can print it on anything they want.

Is This Light Fitting Double Insulated? CE real.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

It certainly looks like an item of class 1 equipment with a class 2 symbol on the label.
Strange but not surprising.
I would check the earth continuity to all the exposed metal parts and if that is ok then install it as class 1.

I think the light was originally double insulated, meaning the live and neutrals all went into a small plastic enclosure for connecting to the house.
These are never very big, and the installer thought it easier to replace the supplied connector with 5 way wagos. Doing this would mean it no longer double insulated.

Strangely, however, the earth wire looks original too.

Cheaply made light fitting made by a company which has probably never even looked at any standards documents, and probably just puts the double square symbol on the label because they've seen it on some other light fittings.

As above , they probably use the same sticky labels in the factory regardless if the light is double insulated or not...
The way this one is wired I would argue it is not double unsulated

I think the light was originally double insulated, meaning the live and neutrals all went into a small plastic enclosure for connecting to the house.
These are never very big, and the installer thought it easier to replace the supplied connector with 5 way wagos. Doing this would mean it no longer double insulated.

Strangely, however, the earth wire looks original too.

I would guess them Ls & Ns that disappear down fitting were originally booted or sleeved, have seen similar.

They the went to a terminal block that wouldn't take loop in - loop out so the DIYer* just stripped it all out.

* that 5way WAGO kinda points to a sparky though.

Nah a real sparky would have twisted all the flexi cores together and used a 2 way, much less faff and cheaper. :)

Reply to Is This Light Fitting Double Insulated? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock