Discuss Is this twisted cloth flex double or single insulated? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'd strip and it and have a look yes. As above, the braid will be for looks only and it's very unlikely to offer anything other than minimal insulation properties.

Stripped in one go but looking at it again I see that the line & neutral actually have very thin coloured layers over thicker white layers, while earth is g/y right through. So I guess it is insulated and double sheathed!

no.it's probably when they made the cable, they ran out of coloured dye so the inner bit is white.

If you are going to use this especially for commercial purposes I would like to see BASEC approval.

If you are going to use this especially for commercial purposes I would like to see BASEC approval.
Good point, I might contact them about this. Of course there is nothing stamped or written on the outer cloth sheath.

Not looking good. I spoke to someone at Industville yesterday who said the flex is certified as double insulated. So I asked for that in writing by email. What came was an email stating that "All of our flex is BS EN 50525 certified", with as attached copy of 50525-2-31-2011, which is for single insulated non-sheathed cables. Would others agree that cables to this standard are only suitable for use in conduits, trunking etc, or for earthing and bonding? The email also included a number of other documents, some illegible or barely legible as they were very poorly scanned. There were some that appear completely irrelevant, e.g. being standards for switches etc., and some in foreign languages (fair enough, I might try to get some translated, but don't hold out much hope they will provide any reassurance).

It is difficult to say I have just looked online for other suppliers and they all seem to be of the same construction, two layers of pvc below the material braid.
Old Gold Twisted Fabric Braided Cable - https://www.enamelshades.co.uk/collections/fabric-cable/products/old-gold-twisted-fabric-braided-cable

Thanks for the link Westward! I will look at that and some others and choose one. It will be interesting to get a different one and compare to the questionable one I've already bought.

Does anyone know which BS (EN) standard is applicable to such a cable (for use as part of a chandelier with chain to bear weight)? I've been looking at the titles for the BS EN 50525 series and think this one may be right: BS EN 50525-2-82:2011 Electric cables. Low voltage energy cables of rated voltages up to and including 450/750 V (U0/U). Cables for general applications. Cables with crosslinked elastomeric insulation for decorative chains. Any thoughts?

Silly question. Why does it need to be 'double insulated' for your application?
It needs to be sheathed as it will not be in a conduit or similar. I take that to mean the sheath has to be able to act as insulation if the inner insulation fails. I have bought some of the cable Vintage Lights as linked above. Each core has two distinct layers of PVC (or similar, I haven't chemically analyzed it!) insulation within the braided outer sheath. It's product code is TM05 that lots of others sell, whereas Industville's is FL-T-BZ which no other supplier seems to think is a cable. Draw your own conclusions.

Reply to Is this twisted cloth flex double or single insulated? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock