Discuss Isolated circuits and the EICR are they included? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
If some one drops tails or locks off a circuit for any reason, be it faulty or simply not used, is it tested or reported on an EICR? In other words if a landlord knows a circuit would get a C1 or C2 and he decommissions it before the test then recommissions it after is there something we should be putting on the report to cover our backs?

I would expect we would list the MCB's in the schedule of results, so unused would clearly show that MCB not powered when tested, but FCU or dropping of tails for part of a circuit could make it seem we have tested when missed.

The same applies to C1 found during testing, we must decommission or repair a C1 no 28 day time for them, so once disconnected the no longer a C1, so what stops some one reconnecting as soon as we leave?

Hi - I add a few pics and comments to the report. Normally this is to show the faults observed during inspection but you could take a shot of the board with the cover off and state extent of inspection is from A to B, perhaps.
699044F0-1F3D-4637-B2DE-8E772C94137E.jpeg

So you attach those pictures to the report, seems a good idea, it does protect us as inspectors, but I am thinking of a problem I had in my old house, it had an immersion heater originally, but that circuit was changed to supply 3 sockets, one got smashed moving furniture, so I pulled the 16A MCB out removed the base and replaced with a blank until I could get a new socket. So there was now no fault with the installation, but it was so easy to recommission that circuit once socket was repaired, and it could also be recommissioned without the repair if silly enough.

So can hardly send photos to letting agent of a decommissioned smashed socket, and there was no fault at the fuse box, blank fitted. So it would seem you would need to take a photo of every fuse box or consumer unit as a matter of course to show alterations.

Get in writing from the client if they want any specific part of the installation excluded from the EICR. Note in the Limitations circuit xyz forms no part of this Report (clients request to exclude).
By saying it forms no part of the Report that will exclude it from any testing or visual inspection.

If you suspect that something like this is going on then make a note on the report to say that there is a disconnected circuit which would be dangerous if reconnected.

I like the idea, not sure how a letting agent would see that, but until they complain then see no problem.

An EICR for a property not let is not a problem, give it C1, C2, C3 or any other code, it is up to the owner what he does about it. Well C1 you would clearly turn off the supply, but if he turns it back on when you leave, not a problem, you have listed it.

With a C1 with any property again no real problem, it has to be resolved before you leave, it is the 28 day to correct with a C2 which is causing the problem, there is no provision for saying sorry, can't get an electrician for another month they are all already booked up, so the easy way out is to isolate C2 circuits if possible.

How many photos will you have in 5 years time?

Why would you Need isolate circuits that have been allocated a C2 code in any situation?

Again with a C1 code you cannot simply turn off the supply to an installation.

I like the idea, not sure how a letting agent would see that, but until they complain then see no problem.

An EICR for a property not let is not a problem, give it C1, C2, C3 or any other code, it is up to the owner what he does about it. Well C1 you would clearly turn off the supply, but if he turns it back on when you leave, not a problem, you have listed it.

With a C1 with any property again no real problem, it has to be resolved before you leave, it is the 28 day to correct with a C2 which is causing the problem, there is no provision for saying sorry, can't get an electrician for another month they are all already booked up, so the easy way out is to isolate C2 circuits if possible.

How many photos will you have in 5 years time?

It doesnt matter how a letting agent see's it, what matters is that you have recorded the situation as bets you can on the EICR.
Lettings agents don't care what is written in an EICR, they care about getting paid, as far as they are concerned an EICR is just another hoop to jump through before a tenant can take possession of a property and they can move on to finding the next person to charge money from.

Where are you getting this idea that C1s must be fixed before leaving site, or must be turned off, from? Unless I've missed something in the new rules for rental properties it is still the same requirment to make safe as far as practicable rather than any rule stating it must be fixed.

What C1s are you encountering?
My personal experience is that the majority of C1s are missing lids, missing blanks in CUs or other holes in enclosures exposing live parts to touch. I normally cover the hole with gaffer tape as a temporary measure and record it as a C2 with an explanation.

No there isn't a provision for excuses to get out of fixing things within 28 days, and why should there be?

Reply to Isolated circuits and the EICR are they included? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net