Discuss Issues with Fusebox AFDDs anyone??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with AFDDs, namely from the fusebox brand, thanks in advance 👍.

Socket 20A radial tripped out last night and would not reset, investigated this morning swapped over with another 20A radial circuit and still wouldn't reset.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences with AFDDs?

New CU was installed 3-4 months ago by myself and all circuits tested to within an inch of their life after all remedial works were completed, which there was a lot of.

Fusebox are out of AFDDs and won't have stocks back in the country until mid to late Sept 2022 so have had no choice but to replace with a RCBO for the time being.

Just interested to see if anyone has had any similar experiences, thanks in advance👍

Not questioning your skills at all, but wondering if you've taken that device out of the environment and tried it on another dummy circuit? I ask because if there was an arcing fault somewhere in the installation then it's unlikely to be detected by standard tests.

Not questioning your skills at all, but wondering if you've taken that device out of the environment and tried it on another dummy circuit? I ask because if there was an arcing fault somewhere in the installation then it's unlikely to be detected by standard tests.
Hi rockingit, no offence taken, I'm Irish apprenticeship served with over 20yrs experience. The environment is in a downstairs cupboard of a semi detached house. Due to many issues in the property that were found the decision was made to use AFDDs for the extra protection as it was not convenient for the client to move out of the property to get it rewired. I haven't tested it in any other enclosure but what I did do was swap another 20A socket radial that was already in the AFDD beside it into this AFDD and it still would not reset.
Thanks for the speedy reply btw 👍
Really I'm just wondering of anyone has had any other similar experiences with AFDDs as to be honest I've always found it to be fairly rare in my experience, how about you? But obviously with pretty new tech there will be teething problems I guess

Sound's like you may have just found a rogue, then, if another identical device is holding the same circuit.

This issue was always one of the biggest arguments to not start using them - there's no real way we can ever test if they're working properly!

As it's hard to find online without registering I'll post the Fusebox AFDD LED codes here:
1660924389282.png

Do any of the above match what you are seeing on the one that won't reset?
You may need to disconnect the load to get it to turn on again to see the fault code!

EDIT - just read that an RCBO is holding in, which kind of answer the question I suppose.

Sound's like you may have just found a rogue, then, if another identical device is holding the same circuit.

This issue was always one of the biggest arguments to not start using them - there's no real way we can ever test if they're working properly!
Exactly that Rockingit, all we have is our rcd testing side of it so what can we say🤷‍♂️ my intention for the post was purely to see others experiences and maybe see how common the occurance was with AFDDs because so far ive been told from fusebox themselves and 2 stockists that this is the first they've herd of .
Hope you're well and maybe others will come along and share their experiences too.
Thanks for your input mate and hope alls well👍

Have Fusebox been interested at all in taking it back to test it etc? I'd guess that only the manufacturers have any method of really testing them (Though David Savery might well be interested in putting it in his Lego device!)

Interesting to hear that Fusebox will not have any till late September. I'm currently rewiring an HMO, which I'm currently planning to do under AMD 1 to avoid the AFDD issues for now, with the intention of swapping them later when they are cheaper/more tested.

I'm not looking forward to having call outs for nuisance tripping - I suspect you may be the first of a growing number of issues - hopefully someone will provide clear guidance on what to do when diagnosing faults in such circumstances.

As it's hard to find online without registering I'll post the Fusebox AFDD LED codes here:
View attachment 100689

Do any of the above match what you are seeing on the one that won't reset?
You may need to disconnect the load to get it to turn on again to see the fault code!

EDIT - just read that an RCBO is holding in, which kind of answer the question I suppose.
Hi Tim, sorry I've just seen this now, thank you, I have these labels and I also stuck it on the CU in question, the issue with the AFDD was there was no way of testing at all, either with a circuit connected or without as it just wouldn't turn on.

Have Fusebox been interested at all in taking it back to test it etc? I'd guess that only the manufacturers have any method of really testing them (Though David Savery might well be interested in putting it in his Lego device!)

Interesting to hear that Fusebox will not have any till late September. I'm currently rewiring an HMO, which I'm currently planning to do under AMD 1 to avoid the AFDD issues for now, with the intention of swapping them later when they are cheaper/more tested.

I'm not looking forward to having call outs for nuisance tripping - I suspect you may be the first of a growing number of issues - hopefully someone will provide clear guidance on what to do when diagnosing faults in such circumstances.
Hi Dartlec, they didn't want to deal with me directly, they said that I have to go through the supplier I bought them from and then for the supplier to send it to them. The supplier told me to hold on to it, to be fair at £120 each I will do exactly that but if they don't request it back I'll send it to Dave.
Best of luck with your project and yes hopefully we'll get some more insight into them soon because it's crazy they've hit the market without more detail

Hi Dartlec, they didn't want to deal with me directly, they said that I have to go through the supplier I bought them from and then for the supplier to send it to them. The supplier told me to hold on to it, to be fair at £120 each I will do exactly that but if they don't request it back I'll send it to Dave.
Best of luck with your project and yes hopefully we'll get some more insight into them soon because it's crazy they've hit the market without more detail
Surprise Surprise with all the amendments & changes problems now beginning to show in all areas.
Think I’ll stick just below the line for compliance 😂😎

Went to order my first afdd board this week, Edmondsons have told me fusebox are doing a recall, and lewden are having issues 😐
Hi Suffolkspark, I was just told yesterday by an ex CEF guy that fusebox have been bought out by deta so you can make your own mind up as to what's going to happen there. Interesting to hear about Lewden, is their issue only with their AFDDs?

Hi Suffolkspark, I was just told yesterday by an ex CEF guy that fusebox have been bought out by deta so you can make your own mind up as to what's going to happen there. Interesting to hear about Lewden, is their issue only with their AFDDs?
Deta 😬 wonder if theyll rebrand them, allthough seems they do already do their own, hmmmmm, hopefully not a buy up and delete! not seen any deta branded consumer unit stuff for years, only old 90s stuff ive stripped out so i cant inagine theyre too widely used.

Lewden rcbos no issues afaik

All the switchgear suppliers at Elex last Thursday were keen to tell me about the Fusebox AFDD recall so I'm sure they are making hay while they can - though most of them only just had them available themselves though and it's clear that the price is not coming down anytime quickly.

They didn't give any info.

I would assume that if it was a safety recall they'd have to publicise it somewhere and can't find any information online to suggest that, so perhaps it's just that the latest batch was picked up by QA before it was sent out to wholesalers.

Or maybe they've sold so few that they can contact them directly!

None of the places that sell them show as having any stock, but they likely only sell on backorder.

If I go into CEF or the other local wholesaler who now stocks them I'll see what they say.

Tempted to give "ConsumerUnits" (wonder where they got the idea for that name?!) a go if I need one since they had an AFDD at the show and do show stock.

Reply to Issues with Fusebox AFDDs anyone??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net