Discuss IT Equipment PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dwedge

When called into Pat test a factory shop floor equipment, the question was asked do Comptuers screens and printers need to be tested, If this is the case what kind of test (Class 1,2 or 3 ) apply. As we know some PC`s still have an earth conductor, so I assume it is Class 1. Please could anyone give me concrete information to show to client...Many Thanks DWEDGE

you can perform a lower voltage test if the lead is moulded in, if not you can remove the lead and test this only. my guide is down in the car but i'll have a look tomorrow for you and confirm 100% then :)

but i believe the monitor should be tested if it is CRT because of the high running internal voltages or something to that effect

When called into Pat test a factory shop floor equipment, the question was asked do Comptuers screens and printers need to be tested, If this is the case what kind of test (Class 1,2 or 3 ) apply. As we know some PC`s still have an earth conductor, so I assume it is Class 1. Please could anyone give me concrete information to show to client...Many Thanks DWEDGE

Any decent PAT tester like Seawrds or Megger have a seperate tests for IT equipment built into the program for the machine.

1. Having a CPC doesn't make equipment Class 1, it just means it has a cpc.

2. Class II require touch current test, not Insulation Resistence.

3. Earth Leakage current might be expected from some appliances, such a swith Mode PSU so don't bother with above if that's the case.

4. CRT can have anything up to 32kV on the flyback transformer. If that's leaking you'll know long before the PAT monkey comes around. ID the CRT PSU and then decide what test to perform. May IR, maybe Touch.

5. Visual inspection of Class II is acceptable. Test what you can (removable leads etc.)

6. All of the above may be cobblers as it's been a while since I avoided PAT testing

7. I hate PAT testing and how it's being slavishly carried out, largely by people with no more idea of what to do than they have of what it's for and before anyone flames me for that I' include myself in that statement as a former PAT monkey.

8. I got out the wrong side of bed this morning...

Reply to IT Equipment PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock