JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) jib card advice

Discuss jib card advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kopsaint

hi all,

started my 2330 level2 in sept and am enjoying it,could someone clarify what i think is correct to gaining your jib card.
1.do your ecs safety test,get card as mate/improver.
2.study 2330 level2&3.
3.study 2382 17th edition.
4. study 2391 test and inspection.

whilst you are doing all this you need to do your nvq level 3,by way of obtaining a portfolio of your work,and then finally you do your am2 test. is this the correct procedure to get your jib card as an approved spark?

comments please.

mate i wish i could reply to your because i am looking for the same answer, but i have completed level3 2330 and have started my nvq

Got my jib card 25yrs ago, from the company i worked for, graded as a technician, had my 15th, 16th regs put on at later dates inc c.s.c.s. health and safety, doing my 17th in jan, have been self employed for 15 yrs now, in all my working life i have never ever been asked if i was jib graded, so whats the point of it ??? its done nowt for me. dave

if you work for a reputable contractor they will assign a recommended grade which will be considered by the JIB when applying. if you are employed then your employer should also pay for it

If you have no certificates you will get jib card as electrical labourer. I think when you pass level 2 you become mate, level 3 no NVQ is improver. If you are doing apprenticeship then you will do NVQ & also AM2. If you are an adult learner then you will only do NVQ. After this you will attain electrican grade then after 2 years approved electrician.

i dont think that's entirely true

you wont do NVQ 3 & AM2 as an apprentice

and i don't think you achieve approved electrician grading after 2 years, i was under the impression that you need your 2391 to be an approved electrician.

i might be wrong, but i think you're mistaken.

anyone care to clarify?

The way i did it was i did the 2330 level 2 and 3, then 16th,17th, 2391 inspection test, Pat testing, went through a nvq the person i worked for did not have to pay for nvq due improving staff skills i signed a few paper work took afew pictures undertook a job that covered all aspects of nvq got proof pictures and intruction, diagrams had a few site visits they took all my paper work in less than 12 weeks got nvq in post!!!! grading as approved electrician also got fire alarm emergency lights and 1851 alarms and a few other related courses they did not put on the card?
to tell you the truth its all about the funding people making big money the even did all my paper work for my nvq?
If any sparky need advice more than happy to help shaker!!

i went through the training center when i left school after doing my gcse's. now by the sounds of things it can work alot different in england as i have read in these forums. but. i did my AM2, NVQ3, keyskills as well as other ways of assessment such as a yearly portfolio and quarterly site visits to watch me work for half an hour. all training centers in NI run the JIB course, so when we were training we automatically got our apprentice jib cards and once we gained our practical and written exams we could apply for our JIB graded cards. in my first year i was in college 2days per week and 3 days on site with a firm who sponsered you and 2nd year was 1 day at college then 4 days on site etc etc. all in all four years training

Uksel, you are partly correct. I did do both NVQ3 and AM2 on my apprenticeship, even though they are both tests of your practical ability so its a bit stupid. There was actually a bloke in my class in college who didnt do it because he enrolled a couple of days before me and some loophole meant he didnt have to do it!! You used to get approved by having another 2 years experience as a spark, i suppose to prove your worth with a bit more responsibility but now you do need your 2391.

Hello Shaker,

Well I'm looking to get graded as a spark when I eventually get round to doing the ECS test!

Qualifications I have are as follows -

2360 part 1
2330 level 3
16th edition

I'm doing the 17th edition upgrade course this month and in May I'm doing 2391.Touchwood (taps head) ,I should pass!

Now apparently I need my NVQ3 to get graded by the JIB as an electrician,I've seen various courses available,anything from £600 upwards,a bit pricey me thinks.How deep do they think our pockets are?

I've about 10 years experience,a little domestic,lots of commercial and some industrial too.

How do you think the best way forward is for me to electrician status with the JIB? I suppose another thing to point out is that i did not serve a recognised apprenticeship as I went to college of my own back to get these qualifications when i was a little older!

Almost forgot,hello all it's my first post!

hi all,

started my 2330 level2 in sept and am enjoying it,could someone clarify what i think is correct to gaining your jib card.
1.do your ecs safety test,get card as mate/improver.
2.study 2330 level2&3.
3.study 2382 17th edition.
4. study 2391 test and inspection.

whilst you are doing all this you need to do your nvq level 3,by way of obtaining a portfolio of your work,and then finally you do your am2 test. is this the correct procedure to get your jib card as an approved spark?

comments please.
You need to do the City & Guilds 2330 level 2 and 3 plus
Electrotechnical NVQ level 3 which is the City & Guilds 2356 which includes doing the AM2 test
Plus a recognised apprenticeship
When the above has been completed you can on payment of £30 contact the JIB and send copies of your certificates as proof of achiement claim your JIB card and CS CS card

just come off the phoneto them.i am jib graded for 30years and to gain latest card you need to sit a 40 question test on electrical safety at a local centre then you must have the 2391,hope this helps

just come off the phoneto them.i am jib graded for 30years and to gain latest card you need to sit a 40 question test on electrical safety at a local centre then you must have the 2391,hope this helps
If you complete the Electrotechnical NVQ3 and apply for a JIB card ASAP then the NVQ will entitle you to a CSCS (electrical safety) card for 3 years.

The cost of sitting the CSCS test is £35.00 though the ECA

I have just been quoted £1449 to do my NVQ3.

I kid you not!
This does not sound to far off. I would do it for for about £1,100. This would include 12 off monthly visits to your work place for 2 hours per visit plus petrol expenses. It would include registration and certification with the awarding body but not the cost of the AM2 test. I do this NVQ3 in my job as I am an NVQ Assessor and Electrician by trade.

If you were an apprentice you would get the lot for free!

This does not sound to far off. I would do it for for about £1,100. This would include 12 off monthly visits to your work place for 2 hours per visit plus petrol expenses. It would include registration and certification with the awarding body but not the cost of the AM2 test. I do this NVQ3 in my job as I am an NVQ Assessor and Electrician by trade.

If you were an apprentice you would get the lot for free!

Thanks for the reply Pgee.

I've been trawling the net to try and find various training companies that offer NVQ3.Prices start from £600 upwards.Obviously college prices are a bit cheaper but I can't seem to find one in my local area that does it and I doubt wether a college tutor in Cornwall is going to be too keen on travelling upto Durham on occasions! It looks like I may have to postpone this course as at the moment I just haven't got that kind of money.

I wish I was an apprentice like but unfortunately I missed that particular boat,so everything I've done has been self-funded.I'd just like to gain the JIB card because as I'm not working at the moment,nearly all the agencies I'm in touch with are asking for JIB graded electricians.

Apparently I do not need to do the AM2 for my grading.(the JIB's own words).

I shall persevere.:(

Reply to jib card advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock