JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB / ECS Card

Discuss JIB / ECS Card in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

vader2015

Hey all, i am going to apply for my ECS gold card but I'm a little unsure who exactly can sign section 9 as my sponsor. Does my sponsor have to be JIB registered? Also as they are not JIB registered can they sign section 5 JIB grading system.

Thanks

Section 9 Employer or sponsor endorsement and recommendationWhen applying for an initial grade or a re-grade card, this section must be completed by theapplicant’s employer or sponsor

In all cases this must be completed by your current employer or if you are self-employed, it can be completedby an employer or company to whom you have sub-contracted during the previous three years.They will have to select one of the boxes to confirm either that you have achieved the right qualifications tobe eligible for the grade you’re applying for, or that you have sufficient training or practical experience toobtain the grade. (This box can only be used if you are employed by a JIB member company)The code and description provided must match the details given in section 5.Your employer or sponsor must then complete full contact details.

As far as i can read it, the sponsor needs to be a JIB Member (NB this is coming from someone whom is Dyslexic)

Section 5 JIB Grading SystemComplete this section only if you are applying for a JIB Grade or Re-grade

The JIB Grading System is accessible to anyone who has an appropriate electrical NVQ Level 3 and therelevant practical experience. You do not have to be employed by a JIB member company to obtain a JIBgrade. If you meet these criteria and wish to apply for a JIB grade or re-grade, complete this section and askyour employer to complete section 9.

Please refer to the list in Appendix D to identify the code and description of the grade you wish to apply for,and enter it where indicated.

For your application to be considered, you will need to provide a copy of your NVQ level 3 certificate in thesame discipline as for your application. In addition you will need to provide a bona fide reference confirmingdetails of your training and/or practical experience – please see section 10 for more information.

Please Note: The ECS administration team cannot make a judgment on, or assess an applicant’scompetence based on self-declaration of skills or experience, and can only defer to the evidence supplied viathe documents enclosed with an application. The ECS card issued will the based on the evidence suppliedand the rules of the scheme.

To obtain a Cable and Jointing grade, you must be employed by a company on the JIB Cable and JointingRegister. These are indicated by an arrow ( ) in Appendix D.

You should be aware that by requesting a grade and signing the application form, you agree to comply withthe rules and regulations of the JIB whenever employed by a JIB member company. Full details can befound on the JIB web site in the Handbook Section at JIB Handbook 2015 | Joint Industry Board

If you have previously held a JIB apprenticeship or grade card, or have previously held a UK Register orECS card, please tick the boxes where indicated.

All comes down to the NVQ3 and AM2 or relevant practical experience

Attachments

• jib-handbook-electriciansforums.PDF
    12.2 MB · Views: 3
Thanks for you reply. I don't know if its just me but section 5 and 9 seem to contradict each other.

I have done the 2356 NVQ, and i have got C&G 2391, 2360, 2351 and 17th edition. So i have all the required qualifications, i also have practical experience from working, but both of the electricians i have worked for over the years are not JIB registered so i guess there is no route for me now?

Any advice would be really appreciated, i desperately want to get an ECS card so i can look at doing site work rather than constant domestic work.

Thanks

If you have the 2356 you should be ok.
All I can suggest is call them (as they suck with emails) and they ask me for money just to look at my qualifications to see if I could get a card in any format.

And I agree section 5 v 9

Bit lost on the old qualifications front tho, not.sure why you did 2360 and 2351 as well as 2356. Also puzzled that you did 2391 when you talk about doing 2392 in another post

Anyone can sign it. I mean, anyone - your missus could sign it. Ideally an employer to say they're employing you as an electrician, but you can get anyone to sign it. It's just to say that you're working as an electrician; self-employed people on here have signed their own in the past.
If you do it on line they just email your 'sponsor' a link and they click on it. That's as far as it goes, there's no need to over-think it. I've asked supervisors on agency jobs to sign the sponsor section before - they're obviously convinced that I'm an electrician otherwise I wouldn't be working there, but they've flatly refused to do it because the JIB have worded it as if it means something official, like they're signing their life away.

It's a bit like the NVQ3 - just another hoop they make you jump through.

Anyone can sign it. I mean, anyone - your missus could sign it. Ideally an employer to say they're employing you as an electrician, but you can get anyone to sign it. It's just to say that you're working as an electrician; self-employed people on here have signed their own in the past.
If you do it on line they just email your 'sponsor' a link and they click on it. That's as far as it goes, there's no need to over-think it. I've asked supervisors on agency jobs to sign the sponsor section before - they're obviously convinced that I'm an electrician otherwise I wouldn't be working there, but they've flatly refused to do it because the JIB have worded it as if it means something official, like they're signing their life away.

It's a bit like the NVQ3 - just another hoop they make you jump through.

As far as i can read it, ive done 2330 Level 2 and 3 so i could only go for a Trainee Electrician, and only stage 2 unless i pay for the 2357 Bridge Units and AM2, then i could go for the Trainee Electrician Stage 3.

Reply to JIB / ECS Card in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock