JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB Experienced Worker

Discuss JIB Experienced Worker in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone on here had to go the route of completing the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker L3 C&G 2346-03?
Trying to get a bit of an insight.

How long does the course last?
Can you take an assessor around to previous jobs you've completed to tick some boxes?
Is there a written test to complete &/or practical assessment?

Just did the 2391 not so long back and now reading I've to complete this course...

Has anyone on here had to go the route of completing the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker L3 C&G 2346-03?
Trying to get a bit of an insight.

How long does the course last?
Can you take an assessor around to previous jobs you've completed to tick some boxes?
Is there a written test to complete &/or practical assessment?

Just did the 2391 not so long back and now reading I've to complete this course...
Hi it's not a course, it's a portfolio that you complete under the guidance of an assessor.

To complete the NVQ you have to have initial testing and the 18th edition i believe. Some providers will expect you to have those before you can undertake the NVQ.

You'll also need to do what's called a 'skill scan' where they will give you a questionnaire about what you can do and then you'll have an interview where they'll discuss technical stuff with you to see if you're suitable. This initial meeting costs anywhere from £60-£200 but most providers will take the cost off the NVQ if you get onto it.

As part of it they'll need to do (i think it's at least) 2 site visits to see you complying with regs/show an understanding of what you're doing/talk them through the process/show good health and safety/sticking to the RAMS etc.

The rest of it is basically take pictures of you completing various pieces of work and writing up what you did in detail. Once it's sufficient you're awarded the NVQ.

After the NVQ to become 'fully qualified' you'll need to do the AM2 assessment.

All in for both is around £2500-3500.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just joined the forum and am in a similar situation and have been looking online to see what others have done. Also tend to read forums more than add to them so apologies if I've hijacked this one!

Basically I've been a Part P domestic sparky since the mid 2000s, and have been Napit registered since then, but was involved with property development so the sparkying side was a parallel occupation in addition to building and renovating properties, and am up to date on the 18th edition, and did 2391 in the mid 2000s.

Had a change of work direction just before the pandemic where I ended up testing flats on a commercial site, and have then found my way into the commercial world...
I was able to attain an experienced worker JIB card but this has just expired.
I had been on a job working on a high end bar restaurant for the last year, and they worked long hours in the day (7am to 6pm) but was paid by the hour so not too bad ;-)
I had previously signed up to complete the 2346 Level 3 NVQ (with XS) but time has been against me to make much in the way of progress (have stacks and stacks of photos) - also seems a fundamental flaw in ECS thinking that if you're (self)employed as an Experience worker, and doing the same work as others, that you have time to take step by step selfies of your work for your portfolio...

Anyway, I digress a bit - I maybe overthinking things, but I seem to go round and round in circles trying to make sure I've got the correct information to submit - I've noticed that in the commercial world that the sites I've been on are more a get on with the job than make sure all correct paperwork is in place with permits to work, RAMS and going through paperwork with supervisors.

Just wondering what others have done in a similar situation in terms of dotting the i's and crossing the t's for a formal course in an informal work world?

I've just got to the end of my portfolio for the EW route. It is a pain to do the photos and it can be slow getting the assessor for the discussions but I think that's understandable.

Where you need a photo or evidence you just need to demonstrate that you can do it. I used a couple of private jobs for the observations and had to write rams and print off signs just so I could satisfy the criteria.

Reply to JIB Experienced Worker in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net