Discuss Job hunters in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

I'm getting loads of enquiries for jobs going lately, mostly looking for apprenticeships but sometimes qualified sparks looking for work. I have a website and a job page, and I quite clearly state we are not looking to recruit right now. I only put this page up to stop people wasting time for me and them, but still I get calls. I'm not moaning.

I am only a small biz, I would not employ anyone 'on the books' ..sometimes when I look a cv's sent from hopeful apprentices I think, yeah I bet he would be ok, but then realise the legislation...oh no, big probs.

I always reply btw, and now I think the government should show some incentive for me to employ someone. I can't afford an apprentice the way things stand.

When I'm overwhelmed with work I simply sub out. Easy, but not ideal

I would like to employ a couple of appentices but you check out the rules and regs it would be impossible for me to do so.

I'm getting loads of enquiries for jobs going lately, mostly looking for apprenticeships but sometimes qualified sparks looking for work. I have a website and a job page, and I quite clearly state we are not looking to recruit right now. I only put this page up to stop people wasting time for me and them, but still I get calls. I'm not moaning.

I am only a small biz, I would not employ anyone 'on the books' ..sometimes when I look a cv's sent from hopeful apprentices I think, yeah I bet he would be ok, but then realise the legislation...oh no, big probs.

I always reply btw, and now I think the government should show some incentive for me to employ someone. I can't afford an apprentice the way things stand.

When I'm overwhelmed with work I simply sub out. Easy, but not ideal

I would like to employ a couple of appentices but you check out the rules and regs it would be impossible for me to do so.

I've not seen the rules and regs but I can imagine.
I've often considered taking on an apprentice but to be honest this would be one of the main reasons why I would,nt bother.

I do know that my mates son has been looking for an apprenticeship as a mechanic and can't get anything, due in a large part to health and safety and rules. Apparently until they are 18 they can't do too much physical work without regular breaks due to their bodies still developing. I have also heard that it is almost impossible to sack an apprentice, no matter how lazy or useless they are. Don't know how much truth there is in that, but all in all I could do without that hassle of employing anyone, much less a layabout. Shame really.

Interesting to have read your posts. I am a first year adult apprentice, and it's good to hear things from an employers point of view. It took me a long time to find a suitable employer. I found several potential ones, but for one reason or another, all to do with rules about employment status and such like, I couldn't work for them and do my apprenticeship.

I think you're right Wattsup, the government ought to offer more incentives to companies to put themselves out to give someone a start. Some sort of help to comply with all the regulations would be a good start.

Hey Night Owl,

i read your post and was interested in how you actually found your apprenticeship ?

I'm studying the C&G 2003 course at the moment and although all the theory is going in i know that in this industry there is no substitute for hands on experience.

I've managed to save some cash from my old job in banking so i dont mind working for peanuts. It's just a case of getting somone to take me on even if it;s two days a week so i can put some of the theory into practice. I dont really care if i'm making the tea for 80% of the day as long as when something basic is going on i can look over a shoulder and understand stuff.

Anyone else out there have any other good ideas about how to gain some hands on experience ??

thanks,

Siwild55, I'm in the same boat as you, along with many others.

I'm coming to the end of my 3rd year of 2330 (I assume you are doing the same, not 2003!) and as far as doing work for local firms, I can't even give it away.

What are others on your course doing? Maybe you can help them out? My plan is to help a few mates out with small jobs, and do a few minor jobs around the house (like adding 2-way switching, extra socket outlets) just to keep my powder dry til things pick up.

Other than that, I was thinking of doing volunteer work for a local housing charity or something like that, but it turns out there isn't one. All my research has drawn a blank.

Now I'm thinking of other options than domestic installation (see my thread "What next? ANY suggestions.")

As far as the apprenticeship thing goes, it just shows what a mess the whole situation is. When I applied for the 2330 at my local college in Norwich I was told I had a good chance of getting on it, only to later be rejected as I was too old. It seems they get extra money for accepting under 25's, so I ended up at a college 50 miles away. The government spends money encouraging youngsters to get into the trade, but apparently their strategy doesn't have the foresight to cut the red tape and encourage firms to take them on.

Personally I think this works in my favour as a 33-year-old who has worked all his life. Apprentices are notoriously unreliable (attendance, attitude) and if, as suggested, it's hard for employers to get shot of them, maybe I'm a better option.

Anyway, good luck, let us know if you have some success.

ive had same problem for years, if i did find a job it was for mate or labourer but no company could offer college and training, and most of the time your chasing walls.
when i chose to study electics i was told there was a massive shortage of electricians but i can not see that any where around where i live maybe in other countries.

hmmmm ... you reckon my trainer will be willing to give me the 5k back if i use the excuse " I'm too old !? "

doubt it

Determination and luck looks like the best way forward.......

Yeah, it was 5K for me too when you include petrol. A lot of money for me at the mo, but it's not been wasted, even if we don't get a job in the trade for a while.

I've enjoyed the course, and the understanding of the basic theory is useful for more than just domestic installation.

I've got no regrets. But like I said in the thread I started, people like us need to think outside the box to have a chance of the big bucks.

Reply to Job hunters in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock